Plug-in for ecobee thermostats in development

[quote=“rafale77, post:809, topic:174457”]Hi Paul,

What unit are you installing this on? Supposing it is a vera what is the firmware version?[/quote]

Sorry - had it in my original post that I lost

Vera 3
UI7 1.7.1030

Would you be able to SSH into the vera and tell me what version of openWRT it is running? I am suspecting that the Vera 3 has not been updated and is running a Stone Age OS which does not support TLSv1.2. In this case I may need to have you do some deeper updates if you want to make it work. I don’t think the problem is related to new Ecobee user. I think it is related to how old your vera is. Even the latest vera units all run 6 year old operating systems.

I can ssh - but don’t know how to find version of openwrt. Do you know command?

EDIT - Found it… i think

openwrt_firmware=openwrt-ramips-rt3883-na900-squashfs-sysupgrade-88.bin

or
openwrt_firmware_url=http://download.mios.com/firmware/os_rt3662

On the splash screen when you ssh in the line just below the OpenWrt logo should be the version.
It should look something like this:

[code] _______ ________ __
| |.-----.-----.-----.| | | |.----.| |_
| - || _ | -| || | | || || |
|
_____|| |
||||___||| |____|
|
| W I R E L E S S F R E E D O M

BARRIER BREAKER (Bleeding Edge, r39638)

---------------------------------------------------[/code]

The rXXXX and the name “barrier breaker” is the version of the os. RT3883 is the CPU model of the vera3

This is what I see:

[code]BusyBox v1.17.3 (2012-01-09 12:40:42 PST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.

| |.-----.-----.-----.| | | |.----.| |_
| - || _ | -| || | | || || |
|
_____|| |
||||___||| |____|
|
| W I R E L E S S F R E E D O M

-------------- Backfire (10.03) -------------------

*** MiOS LTD. ( www.mios.com ) ***
[/code]

sigh… Backfire… it is 5 generations behind barrier breaker… This here is the problem. Let me if I can find the openssl to get you at least connected.

Give me sometime. This OS version was obsolete before the vera3 was even released

@Paulcusick3: Sorry I tried. I the newest version of backfire and openssl are too old to be able to support the security protocol Ecobee now requires. The only thing I can suggest is to install openLuup and move all your automation to a much newer server.

Thanks for the effort - I’ve been researching my next hardware and software, but have been holding off committing with the recent acquisition of MIOS…

On the positive side, I am on my 3rd day without any “ghost” disconnect. Will release a beta for others to try soon.

V2.12b now available on GitHub GitHub - rafale77/vera-ecobee: Vera Plugin for ecobee Thermostat

Added a few APU retries to prevent the intermittent communication errors.

After a week of testing, I am fairly confident to have fixed the json empty error with the beta as I have not observed a single event. For those experiencing it, please try the 2.12b version.

Hello, I’m a Newbie. I have downloaded the Repo and have installed Altui on the Vera Apps.
Can somebody be kind enough to tell me how to do the following please?

1. Copy the content of the icons folder into the /#your Openluup folder#/icons.

2. Copy the content of the repo into /#your Openluup folder#

3. Create a new device in ALTUI using the D_Ecobee1.xml and I_Ecobee1.xml as your device files

[quote=“Freddy99, post:821, topic:174457”]Hello, I’m a Newbie. I have downloaded the Repo and have installed Altui on the Vera Apps.
Can somebody be kind enough to tell me how to do the following please?

1. Copy the content of the icons folder into the /#your Openluup folder#/icons.

2. Copy the content of the repo into /#your Openluup folder#

3. Create a new device in ALTUI using the D_Ecobee1.xml and I_Ecobee1.xml as your device files[/quote]

Did you install on the vera or openLuup? If you are not using openLuup, you will obviously not have any openLuup folder. On the vera you just have to upload everything into the app/develop apps/Luup files which will end up in you /etc/cmh-ludl folder. My instructions are really for openLuup. For UI7 assuming you had downloaded the original version from the App Store, you only have to drop in the new files.

I have installed Altui from the App store onto the Vera. I don’t know how to transfer files into the app/develop apps/Luup folder or you /etc/cmh-ludl folder…
I really would like to have my Ecobee working again with my Vera.
Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
Regards, Freddy

You probably want to browse around the UI on your vera to get more familiar.
The app/develop apps/Luup files is not a folder but a menu section of the UI.
You get access to your vera storage by SCP and SSH. I you are not familiar with these, I would not recommend trying this. Instead, just use the App Store version of the ecobee plugin.

Unfortunately, at least for me, your latest change did not seem to fix the problem completely. I have ecobee : Error: create function not permitted: no valid JSON value (reached the end) on the top of the page. I uploaded your latest L_Ecobee1.lua file about 4 days ago.

Indeed I got 4 of them today as well though now it does not disconnect any more the command is not passed. I am testing something else as of today. It is odd. It’s been working for a full week and now getting 100% failure. Something must be going with the API since I have changed nothing on my setup.

It’s been very quiet for mine for a couple of weeks (v1.9). Just got one yesterday or the day before. That with 4 Vera systems & about 9 thermostats.

Very strange, Now have had 36 hours without an error. I suspect ecobee to have been updating their servers. The mobile has had 2 new versions in 2 days.

all quiet here as well. I agree that it seems to maybe be something on the Ecobee side.