Plug-in for ecobee thermostats in development

[quote=“AEBogdan, post:60, topic:174457”]Had everything working, but after a reset and restore of Vera (another plug-in locked it up) the Ecobee device lost all communication with the thermostat.

Pressing any button gives an error message like “ecobee: failed to set new hvacMode to off”. Tested the thermostat from the Ecobee website and everything works from there, so the thermostat is accessible and working. The “VERA HOME CONTROLLERS” app is still listed as installed. I tried doing the Get PIN process again, but that did not correct the issue.

Is the API interface up and running? If so, is there a way to force a reset of the Ecobee device without deleting and recreating the device or plug-in?[/quote]

I don’t know what state things are in after the reset and restore of Vera, but I do know that a Vera that is occasionally crashing can negatively affect the Ecobee plugin, in this way: The Ecobee API frequently requires its authorization tokens to be refreshed, and the plugin saves them in state variables. But since Vera does not write state variables to flash memory when requested, but instead every few minutes, it’s possible that your Vera crashed before the latest tokens were written. So when your Vera restarts, the Ecobee plugin attempts to use expired tokens.

I have always been able to recover from this condition by pressing the Get PIN button and then entering that new PIN in the ecobee.com portal.

If your Vera’s Luup process is routinely crashing for whatever reason, this situation will probably recur and you will have to both press the Get PIN button, and then enter that new PIN into your ecobee.com portal account, per the README.

Please let us know if this clears up the issue for you.

Regards,
watou

I tried the pin update this morning and Vera became stuck in an infinite loop when I pressed Reload. Of course, without some sort of debugging information I can’t be sure what caused the lockup.

I did a Vera reset, loaded a backup from yesterday, and immediately reset the Ecobee pin. This time everything, including the thermostat, is fully functional again. I’ll remember to immediately redo the pin if I need to restore from a backup in the future.

Is there any way for the plug-in to determine when a new pin is necessary and display a LUUP status message or send out a notification? Does the API send back an error code, or does it simply stop responding?

I am unable to fully test a code change at the moment, but if you were to download the file I_Ecobee1.xml from your Vera (or from here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/watou/vera-ecobee-thermostat/master/src/I_Ecobee1.xml ) and change line 506 from:

log("Unable to getThermostatSummary; skipping status update.")

to

task("Unable to getThermostatSummary; skipping status update.")

and then upload the changed file and restart the Vera, you ought to see the problem in Vera’s web UI when it occurs. Please let me know if this works for you.

watou

I’ve just submitted v1.0 of the Ecobee plugin for approval.

[ul][li]Made possible by a recent update to the Ecobee API, the thermostat device now reports the current running state of equipment connected to the thermostat, through the [tt]ModeState[/tt] variable. There is a new automation trigger that will run a scene based on the various possible values for [tt]ModeState[/tt].[/li]
[li]The Vera web UI now shows the current running state on the thermostat’s dashboard, under the fan options (see the screenshot at [url=http://cocu.la/vera/ecobee/README.md]http://cocu.la/vera/ecobee/README.md[/url]).[/li]
[li]The [tt]FanStatus[/tt] now correctly reports [tt]On[/tt] or [tt]Off[/tt] depending on whether the fan is currently running.[/li][/ul]

Please see the full README at [url=http://cocu.la/vera/ecobee/README.md]http://cocu.la/vera/ecobee/README.md[/url].

I expect the new version will be made available some time next week.

watou

Hello watou, thank you for posting this. Based on this plug-in I am about to purchase the ecobee thermostat. I wanted to confirm, does this work with any of the WIFI thermostats? I am thinking of purchasing the Smart Si thermostat that you can find here - Amazon.com

Regards,
Gaurav

Hello!
The plugin ought to work with any Ecobee wifi thermostat, but I did all development and test with a Smart Si thermostat so I know empirically that it works.

Regards,

watou

[quote=“watou, post:64, topic:174457”]I’ve just submitted v1.0 of the Ecobee plugin for approval.

Made possible by a recent update to the Ecobee API, the thermostat device now reports the current running state …

I expect the new version will be made available some time next week.[/quote]

Thank you Watou!

Watou,

I just upgraded to v.1 and noticed that variables on advanced tab seems not to be updating until Vera’s reload.

For example, I changed thermostat to Off but variables still display old status after 30 minutes.

[quote=“theal, post:68, topic:174457”]I just upgraded to v.1 and noticed that variables on advanced tab seems not to be updating until Vera’s reload.

For example, I changed thermostat to Off but variables still display old status after 30 minutes.[/quote]

I just performed the same steps here, and what I saw was the standard Vera behavior where the variables on the Advanced tab do not refresh automatically. You have to refresh your browser (Ctrl+R or Command+R for example), and then check the Advanced tab again, and then you will see the correct values.

Please reply to make sure I understood your report correctly, and that my advice worked/didn’t work. Thanks!

watou

You are correct.
I was not aware that Vera’s web script does not refresh Advance tab variables automatically, like it does with widgets display values.

Separately, does MessageText function sets an alarm?
I want to set an thermostat alarm if AC is on and a door/window is open for more then several minutes.
Any suggestions how to use MessageText with PLEG to achieve this?

Thanks

[quote=“theal, post:70, topic:174457”]Separately, does MessageText function sets an alarm?
I want to set an thermostat alarm if AC is on and a door/window is open for more then several minutes.
Any suggestions how to use MessageText with PLEG to achieve this?[/quote]

I haven’t used PLEG, but if you want to make a message appear on your Ecobee’s screen and you can perform a luup.call_action from PLEG, then check this example:
[url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,13836.msg121293.html#msg121293]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,13836.msg121293.html#msg121293[/url]

Couple of questions

Has anyone used this plugin with the irule mi Casa module? Does it work the same as if it was a zwave tstat?

When buying the ecobee any extra module needed to make this work?

Also does it work with Veralite as well as Vera 3?

I don’t know anything about irule, but I do know that the plugin creates thermostat devices with the same device and service types as Z-Wave thermostats, so it “should work.” It adds new device and service types for non-thermostat devices, but that shouldn’t be relevant.

Aside from working Internet access and whatever the basic thermostat needs to get onto the Internet, I don’t think it needs anything else.

Yes, but if your Veralite is on the verge of using up its precious memory, this plugin, like most, would create problems. I’ve not heard of an out-of-memory situation with the plugin, but the Veralite can become memory constrained, depending on what you’re doing. Otherwise the plugin ought to work the same on Veralite and Vera 3.

watou

For anyone attempting to use the Ecobee plugin on UI7, attached is a file that ought to fix the problem in v1.0 of the plugin, where the plugin does a bad job of detecting its required minimum Vera version, and gives up.

Based on a system with the v1.0 plugin installed, please download the attached file, go to Apps → Develop Apps → Luup files, check the Restart after upload box, and upload this file. (Or if this is different in UI7, the equivalent steps there.)

Please report if this proposed fix resolves the mistaken message that 1.5.408 or later is required to run. I will submit a v1.1 of the plugin to the app store if this fix works.

Regards,
watou

Hey, it appears to fix the error relating to the software version.

However, unlike other devices, I cannot select which room to put it in once it’s installed. I’ve tried the 4 devices it created, ecobee, Temperature, Humidity, and EventClimate but it’s not showing up.

I am still waiting for some official documentation on what changes UI5 plugins need in order to work correctly in UI7, so I don’t know why this is happening. But I did read that you can manually change the device’s room_num property on the Advanced tab and after a reload/refresh, the devices should end up in the proper rooms. I haven’t tried this myself as I don’t have a UI7 system to test with and I cannot switch to UI7 on my Vera. Sorry I can’t be more help.

Regards,
watou

Tip on using the Ecobee plug-in 1.0 with UI7 (1.7.318):

The main device in the dashboard has a [Get PIN] button. This button does not work. It will give you a “Can’t Detect Device” error.

To get a PIN you need to instead press the Settings button [>], choose the CONTROL option, and use the [Get PIN] button that displays here. This button works.

Thank you very much for sharing that info, Al. I hope there will be official information available soon on how to make third-party plugins work correctly on UI7. The Nest and Ecobee plugins both have issues on UI7, but I am totally blind as to what to do about it.

Regards,
watou

Pin support was added to ecobee 3

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Even though I have auto update enabled, still at version 0.7 (on UI5) and cannot see a newer version when I search the install apps page. Any ideas how to get past this? Thanks.