Plug-in for ecobee thermostats in development

Hello, I’m a Newbie. I have downloaded the Repo and have installed Altui on the Vera Apps.
Can somebody be kind enough to tell me how to do the following please?

1. Copy the content of the icons folder into the /#your Openluup folder#/icons.

2. Copy the content of the repo into /#your Openluup folder#

3. Create a new device in ALTUI using the D_Ecobee1.xml and I_Ecobee1.xml as your device files

[quote=“Freddy99, post:821, topic:174457”]Hello, I’m a Newbie. I have downloaded the Repo and have installed Altui on the Vera Apps.
Can somebody be kind enough to tell me how to do the following please?

1. Copy the content of the icons folder into the /#your Openluup folder#/icons.

2. Copy the content of the repo into /#your Openluup folder#

3. Create a new device in ALTUI using the D_Ecobee1.xml and I_Ecobee1.xml as your device files[/quote]

Did you install on the vera or openLuup? If you are not using openLuup, you will obviously not have any openLuup folder. On the vera you just have to upload everything into the app/develop apps/Luup files which will end up in you /etc/cmh-ludl folder. My instructions are really for openLuup. For UI7 assuming you had downloaded the original version from the App Store, you only have to drop in the new files.

I have installed Altui from the App store onto the Vera. I don’t know how to transfer files into the app/develop apps/Luup folder or you /etc/cmh-ludl folder…
I really would like to have my Ecobee working again with my Vera.
Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
Regards, Freddy

You probably want to browse around the UI on your vera to get more familiar.
The app/develop apps/Luup files is not a folder but a menu section of the UI.
You get access to your vera storage by SCP and SSH. I you are not familiar with these, I would not recommend trying this. Instead, just use the App Store version of the ecobee plugin.

Unfortunately, at least for me, your latest change did not seem to fix the problem completely. I have ecobee : Error: create function not permitted: no valid JSON value (reached the end) on the top of the page. I uploaded your latest L_Ecobee1.lua file about 4 days ago.

Indeed I got 4 of them today as well though now it does not disconnect any more the command is not passed. I am testing something else as of today. It is odd. It’s been working for a full week and now getting 100% failure. Something must be going with the API since I have changed nothing on my setup.

It’s been very quiet for mine for a couple of weeks (v1.9). Just got one yesterday or the day before. That with 4 Vera systems & about 9 thermostats.

Very strange, Now have had 36 hours without an error. I suspect ecobee to have been updating their servers. The mobile has had 2 new versions in 2 days.

all quiet here as well. I agree that it seems to maybe be something on the Ecobee side.

Yeah it’s been very quiet. I’ve had one event which was mitigated by my new retry code 3 days ago and then nothing since. Good news is that the auto-retry worked but I will need more events to validate.

I updated to the latest Vera UI a week or so ag. I installed the Ecobee app today. When I click the “Get Pin” the green icon spins a while and then nothing. Any idea what to do next or what to look into next?

Sorry if you have not read the latest 4-5 pages of this long thread, you probably want to read through them. I would need to know what system you installed this on. Ecobee no longer support older security protocols and what you are describing seems to indicate you are trying this either on UI5 or on an older ecobee which cannot support the new security protocols.

"Sorry if you have not read the latest 4-5 pages of this long thread, " … correct there. with so many pages I feel like a mosquito over a nudist camp … i don’t know where to start :smiley:

• My Ecobee is an Ecobee Smart model (poor name for it … see it here: Amazon.com)
  • Vera Light G firmware version 1.7.1040
  • Whatever is the latest UI (where do find the UI version?)

Ok I think your problem is the Vera Light G. I suspect it is running also on Backfire which is an antique version of OpenWRT and does not support TLS1.2. You would have to have at least a Vera edge for the plugin to work.

It would be cool to have a definitive list of which hardware/firmware combinations do not support tlsv1_2. In the alternative or in addition, some way of capturing the failure from trying to use tlsv1_2 and showing it in place of the PIN like “UNSUP” or something.

So far I only know of the Vera Edge, Vera Plus and Vera Secure running Barrier Breaker on UI7 which supports TLSv1.2. UI5 and Vera 3, Vera Light and all other Veras. run on Backfire which does not support it.

There are some massive server outages the past day for various sites and services and as of the past 30min or so ecobee has been down and all the weird errors and false disconnects errors I have had in the past are now showing up. So the errors we have had, I am now confident are all related to the ecobee server.

Thanks for your help Rafale, I am using UI7 and had installed the Ecobee plugin from the app store. Unfortunately the Vera app is confusing the Ecobee temperatures between celsius and fahrenheit (ie showing 59C instead of 15C). This in turn is confusing the Vera Homebridge displays on my iPhone. This is why I wanted to try a different type of install. I have found the menu and added the files by uploading the .xml and .json files into the Luup Upload section.
This doesn’t seem to have fixed the problem. Should I also install the Luup file using the ‘Test Luup Code’ section? I would really like to get the Ecobee plugin to work properly.

[quote=“Freddy99, post:838, topic:174457”]Thanks for your help Rafale, I am using UI7 and had installed the Ecobee plugin from the app store. Unfortunately the Vera app is confusing the Ecobee temperatures between celsius and fahrenheit (ie showing 59C instead of 15C). This in turn is confusing the Vera Homebridge displays on my iPhone. This is why I wanted to try a different type of install. I have found the menu and added the files by uploading the .xml and .json files into the Luup Upload section.
This doesn’t seem to have fixed the problem. Should I also install the Luup file using the ‘Test Luup Code’ section? I would really like to get the Ecobee plugin to work properly.[/quote]

The 1.9 and earlier Ecobee plugin asks the Vera via HTTP what its temperature scale is, like this:

http://YOUR_VERA_IP_ADDRESS:3480/data_request?id=lu_sdata

It uses the temperature member which should be set to “C” or “F”. If it’s not set and set to one of these, it defaults to “F”, which is why you might see 59C.

In some UI7 release, there is/was a way to set this in your vera so a return of the correct temperature scale is possible, without changing the 1.9 or earlier plugin code. I think the answer might even be back in the stacks of previous pages of this thread (not sure).

watou

Thanks Watou, I just checked that file and it seems like it is set to C… “temperature”: “C”,