I’m starting a new thread for AutoVirtualThermostat, and as seems to be tradition, in future I’ll update this post with the latest information on its ongoing development.
For the benefit of those who haven’t been party to the other discussions, I’ve received permission from the original developer of Smart Virtual Thermostat to continue its support (he’s apparently moved on to another platform). During the time I was awaiting his reply, I started working on a new framework for the project, and released that as Auto Virtual Thermostat.
AutoVirtualThermostat (AVT) implements an auto-changeover thermostat that accepts input from a number of temperature sensors (configurable), and drives a heating unit, cooling unit, and fan unit. The driven units are expected to be a device that implements the SwitchPower1 service, so they can be an in-wall switch/receptacle, appliance module, etc. (properly rated for the task, of course). Any of the three units are optional (i.e. if you just need heat, you only need a heating unit and you can omit configuring a fan unit or cooling unit).
If AVT isn’t behaving as expected, take a look at your log file and make sure AVT hasn’t logged something informative that will lead you to a solution. You can see the current log snapshot by requesting this URL in your browser:
You can use your browser’s in-page search feature to look for the string “AutoVirtualThermostat” to find AVT’s logged messages. If an AVT is going offline because of temperature sensor problems, search through the logs for the word “ineligible,” which appears in every message AVT logs when a thermostat is rejected, along with the reason.
If you need to report a problem, it’s generally helpful for me to have some information about your configuration. You can email me using the email link in my profile, and please attach or include the output from the small “Status Data” link at the bottom of AVT’s settings page. It is not necessary to turn debug on first, and better if you don’t, unless I ask you do to it.
2018-07-24: The stable branch on Github now contains an openLuup-compatible version of AVT. It can be installed via the AltAppStore, or by downloading the plugin files from Github and installing them in your openLuup directory tree.
2018-03-04: Version 1.4 has been submitted to Vera for approval, and is expected to be available tomorrow. This version incorporates the full fixes for prior battery state checks on temperature devices. It also tracks Vera-specific state variables for setpoint better, so external code or apps may work better. Adds some additional debug data to status requests, and puts debug links on the settings page so users can more easily get to those functions when needed.
2018-02-12: Version 1.3/1.3.1. This is a hotfix/bugfix release only and contains the fix for battery-powered sensors causing update failures. This release is available on GitHub for you early-adopters.
2018-02-05: Version 1.2 released. This is a maintenance release to address some feature requests, and contains the following fixes and enhancements:
[ul][li]ImperiHome ISS API support, making it possible to see AVT devices in ImperiHome;[/li]
[li]Full UI and Comfort/Economy switching on ALTUI (both fixes and enhancements in this area; thanks to amg0 for his support);[/li]
[li]Uses newer spinner_horizontal controls for setpoints in UI7, which work better and more consistently, and allow the setpoint to be edited directly by clicking on it and simply entering a new setpoint value;[/li]
[li]Tightens checks around battery-operated thermostats and allows the user to set the minimum acceptable battery level to be considered valid (state variable MinBatteryLevel)–previously any battery level was considered valid if the battery report was recent, but some devices are known to “drift” in temperature measurement as their batteries near end of life.[/li][/ul]
2018-01-16: Version 1.1, fixes some minor bugs, and adds a requested “Economy/Comfort” feature. Note that the up/down setpoint controls in the device configuration view do not operate as expected–this is the result of a bug in UI7 for which I have received confirmation from Vera will be fixed by 1.7.26. The setpoint controls in the dashboard view function correctly (disparity on their side in the implementation of the slider control between the two views).