Plugin: Harmony Hub Control

Hi

Should I be able to use a Pause button as a trigger ?

Just playing around with the Harmony Control plug-in and PLEG. Now when I start my XBOX activity on the Harmony remote the LED lights behind my TV turn on blue. And if I turn the XBOX off / exit the activity the LED lights are turned off. So that works nicely.

So I then thought about using the transport controls Play / Pause. So in Vera I added the XBOX device and added three buttons Play / Pause / Stop.

In PLEG I then created a trigger for when the XBOX device pause command is activated and the action is to brighten my side lamps to 100%

I then played a video on the XBOX 360 both in the system video player and tried in Youtube and I then pressed the pause button on my Harmony Elite remote control. However nothing happens and the lamps do not brighten.

If instead however I press the pause button on the XBOX device actually in the Vera UI7 web GUI then that does work and the lights brighten.

So my question is why isn’t working / detecting the pause button being pressed on the actual Harmony remote control handset ?

I have the Harmony Control plug-in currently set to poll the hub every 30 seconds. Can you safely decrease the poll time? It says 5 and 10 seconds are NOT recommended. However the polling is not the issue here I don’t think but just another question.

Thanks

Hi,

The Harmony Hub only reports the activity, not any device commands. This means you cannot create a trigger based on a device command, only on the activity changes.

Cheers Rene

[quote=“reneboer, post:482, topic:184450”]Hi,

The Harmony Hub only reports the activity, not any device commands. This means you cannot create a trigger based on a device command, only on the activity changes.

Cheers Rene[/quote]

Hi Rene

That’s a shame then, I was hoping to be able to control the lamps when pause / play was pressed.

Oh well forget that idea.

Thanks

Rene

If that is the case why are the Harmony device commands exposed in Vera scenes and also in PLEG as commands you can select for triggers?

EDIT: I guess for when you press the button on the Harmony device in Vera web GUI as that does work. But not when you press the same button on the actual Harmony remote.

Is there any way to use the light bottons of the harmony elite to actually turn on the lights?

[quote=“cw-kid, post:484, topic:184450”]Rene

If that is the case why are the Harmony device commands exposed in Vera scenes and also in PLEG as commands you can select for triggers?

EDIT: I guess for when you press the button on the Harmony device in Vera web GUI as that does work. But not when you press the same button on the actual Harmony remote.[/quote]
You guessed it right ;). I whish I could change it, but I cannot.

Only option is to add an IR receiver and learn it the codes. See this tread for options people are using (but there are more) [url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,38849.0.html]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,38849.0.html[/url]

Cheers Rene

Can this plugin be used with Amazon Echo, Alexa?
Cause I can’t get Harmony own Amazon skill to work, would be great if Vera and Harmony works with Amazon Echo.

No it doesn’t.

You could use the HA bridge by bws systems if you have an always on pc or pi in your system

http://bwssystems.com/#

[quote=“Chrisfraser05, post:488, topic:184450”]No it doesn’t.

You could use the HA bridge by bws systems if you have an always on pc or pi in your system

http://bwssystems.com/#[/quote]

In essence, not directly. You need to go through a bridge. I have two harmony hubs and the echo skill only supports one so I have one setup directly through the skill and the other through this app and the HA bridge. (echo → Vera bridge → Vera app → Harmony)

I have a Haromy elite with one of those hubs that support zigbee

is it possible to assign light scenes from vera to my harmony screen with this app?

Am I supposed to be able to Power off my Harmony devices with this?
I would like to have Power off as a part of my “Go to bed scene” but I can only add my Harmony Activities, Watch TV etc, there is no Power Off.

[quote=“m1cke, post:491, topic:184450”]Am I supposed to be able to Power off my Harmony devices with this?
I would like to have Power off as a part of my “Go to bed scene” but I can only add my Harmony Activities, Watch TV etc, there is no Power Off.[/quote]
Yes - you can add devices and then configure individual buttons for each. Or you could just edit your scene to add the command to that.

[quote=“m1cke, post:491, topic:184450”]Am I supposed to be able to Power off my Harmony devices with this?
I would like to have Power off as a part of my “Go to bed scene” but I can only add my Harmony Activities, Watch TV etc, there is no Power Off.[/quote]
Hi,

When you configure the activities one of the choices in the Button x Activity ID should be PowerOff, next to the activities you created on your Harmony. If you assign that to a label you can include the power off in a scene.

Cheers Rene

[quote=“reneboer, post:493, topic:184450”][quote=“m1cke, post:491, topic:184450”]Am I supposed to be able to Power off my Harmony devices with this?
Hi,

When you configure the activities one of the choices in the Button x Activity ID should be PowerOff, next to the activities you created on your Harmony. If you assign that to a label you can include the power off in a scene.

Cheers Rene[/quote][quote=“tp546, post:492, topic:184450”][quote=“m1cke, post:491, topic:184450”]Am I supposed to be able to Power off my Harmony devices with this?
Yes - you can add devices and then configure individual buttons for each. Or you could just edit your scene to add the command to that.[/quote]

Thanks! I missed that when I first set it up. Now I get it!

I have to admit, this is by far one of the most useful plugins. Only two issues we have ran into.

1. Half the time when you click on any device’s activities or devices tab, it says it couldn’t get the information from the hub forcing you to restart the engine (a few scenarios, it took multiple restarts). (it is important to note that the Harmony Hub is connected to an AP literally just a few feet away from it, with solid bars–so WiFi to the hub seems fine).

2. One device (HRM: Lutron Light Controller), which is an Lutron IR Maestro dimmer switch, doesn’t store “Duration” variable for “AllLightsOff” command. Lights on works fine, but if you trigger the button for “AllLightsOff” via Vera’ app, it pops up an error asking for you to enter duration. The answer is 0, but it shouldn’t be asking this. We noticed when you add a bunch of commands for HRM devices to a scene, each action includes a duration variable listed in the “Advanced Editor”. Except for “AllLightsOff” of course, which does display the box for Duration but it’s value is blank.

[quote=“TheSaint, post:495, topic:184450”]I have to admit, this is by far one of the most useful plugins. Only two issues we have ran into.

1. Half the time when you click on any device’s activities or devices tab, it says it couldn’t get the information from the hub forcing you to restart the engine (a few scenarios, it took multiple restarts). (it is important to note that the Harmony Hub is connected to an AP literally just a few feet away from it, with solid bars–so WiFi to the hub seems fine).[/quote]
    Can you look at the browser console to see if it states any issues and the Vera Log? And what type of Vera are you running it on and what UI (5/7)? For me it performs solid on UI7 (does not help you of course) on a Lite, Edge and openLuup local and remote. I do notice the Hub does not like polling too often, although I’m hitting one hub from three devices with polling set at 15 seconds. I stopped polling at 5 seconds as that would cause the Hub to lockup occasionally and needing a power off and on.

Let me see if I understand. You created a Device with the Harmony Hub plugin for the Light controller, and when assigning that as an Device Action in a scene you have to go into the Scene Advanced Editor to set the value for Duration else it does not work. If I go in I see I can set the duration. I will do some research on how to default it.

Update: I did some testing and it seems a Vera bug for the first button of a device that has a command with multiple parameters. When you create the Device Action for the first button, that button looks to be defaulted, but it is not entirely it seems. Try click one of the other options, and then back to the first (AllLightsOff) button before completing that screen. For me it then does default the Duration to zero properly.

Let me know what you find out.

Cheers Rene

[quote=“reneboer, post:496, topic:184450”][quote=“TheSaint, post:495, topic:184450”]I have to admit, this is by far one of the most useful plugins. Only two issues we have ran into.

1. Half the time when you click on any device’s activities or devices tab, it says it couldn’t get the information from the hub forcing you to restart the engine (a few scenarios, it took multiple restarts). (it is important to note that the Harmony Hub is connected to an AP literally just a few feet away from it, with solid bars–so WiFi to the hub seems fine).[/quote]
    Can you look at the browser console to see if it states any issues and the Vera Log? And what type of Vera are you running it on and what UI (5/7)? For me it performs solid on UI7 (does not help you of course) on a Lite, Edge and openLuup local and remote. I do notice the Hub does not like polling too often, although I’m hitting one hub from three devices with polling set at 15 seconds. I stopped polling at 5 seconds as that would cause the Hub to lockup occasionally and needing a power off and on.

Let me see if I understand. You created a Device with the Harmony Hub plugin for the Light controller, and when assigning that as an Device Action in a scene you have to go into the Scene Advanced Editor to set the value for Duration else it does not work. If I go in I see I can set the duration. I will do some research on how to default it.

Update: I did some testing and it seems a Vera bug for the first button of a device that has a command with multiple parameters. When you create the Device Action for the first button, that button looks to be defaulted, but it is not entirely it seems. Try click one of the other options, and then back to the first (AllLightsOff) button before completing that screen. For me it then does default the Duration to zero properly.

Let me know what you find out.

Cheers Rene[/quote]

Running on a VeraPlus, UI7

As for the browser screen for Vera

The only thing in the log screen within the Harmony Hub device is:
07-03-2017 9:45:12 AM Device responding again Harmony Control Device status

There is nothing in the log screens under the child devices associated to the hub.

As for the dimmer switch. Child scene created. Under buttons, assigned first button to AllLightsOn and then assigned a second button for AllLightsOff. First button works great, second button (off) lacks the variable and I can’t seem to be able to add it in the Vera, so it asks me each time I press the button on the app. So lights off button is the second button in the mix (see attached image #1).

That seems to be the only child device created by the Harmony plugin that experiences this issue. We added devices for everything to make sure (Image #2), and all of the other functions seem to work fine via the Vera app without asking for Duration.

Hi,

Ok, my first button on my test has the Off command, and in the duration field it defaults to Off rather than the number 0. Maybe that is happening with your second button that is Off. When editing the scene try to first click the On button, and then the Off you want in the scene and see what happens.

On the connection error, nothing gets reported on the screen below the plugins. That is actually not possible in UI7 for plugin writers. You would have look in the Vera LUAPnP.log file for possible clues.

Cheers Rene

[quote=“reneboer, post:498, topic:184450”]Hi,

Ok, my first button on my test has the Off command, and in the duration field it defaults to Off rather than the number 0. Maybe that is happening with your second button that is Off. When editing the scene try to first click the On button, and then the Off you want in the scene and see what happens.

On the connection error, nothing gets reported on the screen below the plugins. That is actually not possible in UI7 for plugin writers. You would have look in the Vera LUAPnP.log file for possible clues.

Cheers Rene[/quote]

Hey Rene,

I’ll have to look into how to access the log file and get back to you.

As for On then Off on the lighting controller, I noticed on the browser login for Vera, if I clicked on the seen, on and off works fine. It’s only if I do it from Vera’s official app (see image 1). Regardless if I click on first before off. No matter what, off triggers it. Also, I just noticed that the Blu-ray (image 2) does it as well. It doesn’t have an on and off, but just one button
a power toggle. It asks every time you click on it in the app.

I also included a few extra images as bonus material to see what the variables and options look like, and how it’s setup.

Update: For the logs. Vera’s walkthrough on doing so is quite annoying. It begins by sending you to a SSH walkthrough and I got far as logging in as root and wondering what to do next when I went back to that initial walkthrough and at the very bottom it has a “oh, and by the way”
“Additionally, the logs can be accessed directly from a browser from the URL: http://vera_ip/cgi-bin/cmh/log.sh?Device=LuaUPnP”. Thanks guys hahah. Should have started with that.

The only thing that mentions “Harmony” in the logs is four instances of this spread about:
10 03/09/17 9:54:46.004 XXX-UpdateSystemMessagesTasks StartupTask #14 = 4 Clearing
 / Harmony Control <0x76f9b520>
I don’t know what to look for beyond that.

Hi,

You see those buttons in the Vera App? I see you have the Windows version as on Android you cannot do anything. I can try that on my Win 10 system too then.

Looking at your screenshot one thing did get me thinking and that is if you select a HRM device in any of the House Modes. That setting does not include the duration, however for me that is not causing issue with the commands on mode changes. In my code the duration is defaulted to 0 if not specified. But, who knows the IoS App looks at that somehow. I will do some more research now I know in what corner of the (undocumented) Vera options to look at, but it might be a Vera app issue with multiple parameters.

Cheers Rene.