PLUGIN: Honeywell Total Connect Comfort Thermostats

Hello arfield,

Unfortunately for my friends across the pond, support for European total connect comfort is a different animal. Essentially, it would require a completely new plug-in. It’s a different API, different log-in scheme, and the thermostat topology is even different (multiple sensors, etc.)

I have been given access to European account by that eralier poster, and if I get any free time away from my current projects there is a possibility I could consider development. But to be honest…it’s a long shot I’m afraid.

[quote=“JoeyD, post:61, topic:185402”]Hello arfield,

Unfortunately for my friends across the pond, support for European total connect comfort is a different animal. Essentially, it would require a completely new plug-in. It’s a different API, different log-in scheme, and the thermostat topology is even different (multiple sensors, etc.)

I have been given access to European account by that eralier poster, and if I get any free time away from my current projects there is a possibility I could consider development. But to be honest…it’s a long shot I’m afraid.[/quote]

Hi,
thanks for the reply.
A long shot is better than no shot at all ;D

JoeyD,
Been using your plugin for several weeks now. Struggled trying to get my Venstar T5800 to work with VeraLite for months. Finally decided to get a Honeywell RTH9580. Your plugin works great for me. Simply installed, registered my thermostat and typed in my credentials. I was also wondering about adding the ability to increase/decrease temps by several degrees. I am assuming your issue is the MCV standard files. I use AutHomationHD on my Android tablet and I can simply slide to the temperature I want. Would love to see that ability added to the MCV webpage screen. Also, any word on the API? Not really comfortable with logging into my VeraLite to simply go out and log into the Honeywell TCC site. Would prefer a more direct link on my local network if possible. Would also allow us to get more frequent updates from the Thermostat.

Hi Kendad,

No word on the API yet. For now we’re just going to have to live with going through Honeywell’s web portal. I’ll keep trying though.

Yes, I am using the standard thermostat control for Vera’s web UI. I don’t plan on using a customized version, because if I do that would (for example) not allow you to control the thermostat with AutHomationHD at all.

That being said, the latest UI7 firmware revision did make a couple changes to the standard device, including the ability to directly type in the set point instead of clicking up / down repeatedly. Just click on the temperature, and then type in the new temperature. I agree that I like the idea of using something similar to a dimmer or volume type slider, but that would be up to MCV to change the default device.

I’m still lobbying with them to include both heat and cooling set-points for thermostats that support auto changeover.

All,

Version 1.2 is now available from the app store. This version fixes the issue where the plug-in was not automatically recovering from a timed-out connection or invalid credentials. Now the plug-in will always retry to get a valid security cookie (and refresh) every 5 minutes after an unsuccessful authorization.

JoeyD,

Thanks for the quick reply. Just checked my system and got v1.2 automatically. It now allows me to click the up or down arrow multiple times to change temp without the annoying MCV circle delay in between each click. So, I can go from 70 degrees to 66 degrees with 4 quick clicks. Like that much better.

I was wondering, have you considered using the Energy button to turn on Schedule and the Normal button to turn it off? All Honeywell documentation refers to “Energy Savings” as using their schedule. It seems using the buttons that way would be appropriate. I did an Internet search and couldn’t find any other use for Energy versus Normal.

Still impressed with your APP. Keep up the good work. MCV is only as good as the APP developers that support it.

Hi kendad,

Glad you like the app! These plug-ins are a bit of a labor of love…I just like “making things work” :slight_smile:

I hadn’t thought about what to do with the new “energy/normal” buttons…I like your idea! I don’t see anything in the JSON results that come back from the honeywell API to indicate any kind of energy savings mode, so tying that into the “follow schedule” mode makes sense to me. I would propose doing the following:

Clicking the energy button:

1. Forces the set-points to “follow-schedule”
  2. Forces the fan to “follow schedule”

Clicking the “Normal” button:

1. Changes the set-points to “permanent” or “temporary” (depending on what your default settings are)
  2. Changes the fan to “auto”. (I could also make a new default setting for the fan, “auto” or “circulate”, so clicking the Normal button would put it in the specified mode).

In addition, the energy button would only display as as “clicked” when both the fan and temperature set-points are set to follow-schedule. Any other settings the “Normal” button would appear clicked.

Does that make sense to everyone?

[quote=“JoeyD, post:67, topic:185402”]Clicking the energy button:

1. Forces the set-points to “follow-schedule”
  2. Forces the fan to “follow schedule”

Clicking the “Normal” button:

1. Changes the set-points to “permanent” or “temporary” (depending on what your default settings are)
  2. Changes the fan to “auto”. (I could also make a new default setting for the fan, “auto” or “circulate”, so clicking the Normal button would put it in the specified mode).[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by “permanent” or “temporary” (depending on default setting). Could you make the button change the set-points to permanent when pushed? There is no way for me to tell the thermostat hold status in Vera. I could be setting the thermostat to temporary hold for 30 seconds if the schedule was set to change in the next minute. I would prefer setting to permanent hold and then clicking Energy/Schedule to change it back if I decided to go back on schedule.

Yes…go to your parent Honeywell device (not your thermostat device) and click on the TCC Defaults tab. Here you can set the behavior when you click the thermostat buttons…either Permanent or Temporary.

Very nice, hadn’t even realized the default buttons were there. Tested and it worked just like advertised. Even more impressed with your plugin.

Also, I noticed something weird about the controls and was wondering if you see the same?

If I go to the Dashboard or Devices screen and push the up arrow, I get the little green MCV spinning wheel each time I push the button. So, if I want to go from 70 degrees to 67 degrees, I click down arrow and wait for spinning wheel to stop, click down arrow and wait for spinning wheel to stop then click down arrow and wait for spinning wheel to stop before I get to 67 degrees. If I go into the Device Control screen for the thermostat I can click the up or down arrow multiple times and it adjusts the thermostat to that degree setting. So, if I want to go from 70 degrees to 67 degrees, I click the down arrow 3 times in a row without any spinning circle and my thermostat goes to 67 degrees. Do you get the same response on your system? Any idea why?

Yes…same behavior here. Its a known characteristic of UI7 at the moment…it even happens with light switches. Some controls are slow on the dashboard…but responsive on the device tab.

With the latest firmware update though, you can type in the temperature directly. Just click on the number and type…makes it a little easier.

I should have support for the energy / normal button ready for release early next week. I have it mostly working now but I have to add a new default setting for the fan. Thanks for suggesting that!

Thanks So much for the app. I have a 9850 I was thinking about the ecobee as a replacement because I wanted my Vera to talk to my stat. You Saved the day! I hope you get the API so you can really put some work in. Do you have a webpage so I can donate a cup of coffe or something? It is the least I can do since you saved me the cost of a new stat!! ;D

Keep up the Great work!!!

Hi cbo,

You’re welcome, and glad you’re enjoying the app. :slight_smile: While it would be nice to take some donations to take myy wife to a nice dinner for the time spent “away,” it’s not necessary. I do sincerely appreciate the gesture though! Instead, I would encourage you or anyone else so inclined to donate a few dollars to the charity of your choice.

I put another inquiry in about the API…but they seem to go into a black hole…we can only hope.

Still doesn’t look like V1.2 has solved the update problem… Still not updating. (just took those pics.)

EDIT: I should add the house was at 65F also (as was set point)… :slight_smile:

Hmmm…not sure what I’m seeing there. Based on the pics it looks like it did recover (last “login” was at 2:38 AM), and it continued refreshing. Last refresh was at 8:45 AM.

It doesn’t look like a refresh / update problem but potentially an issue of a failed command. What was your set-point suppossed to be (and what was supposed to set it: honeywell schedule, or Vera scene? And when?)

I should add the house was at 65F also (as was set point)... :-)

Ok, well technically you stumbled upon my secret extra-energy efficient mode. :slight_smile:

I’m also having an issue where it authentication fails at randoms times and requires me to type in my credentials again. Other than that its a great plugin thanks for the work! Is there any info I can provide that may help in tracking the issue down? I see in the logs where ‘credAuthorized was: Unsuccessful. Error code host not found’ followed by a cookie refresh at the time that connection was lost. The next line is a cookie refresh displaying the time I typed my UN/PW back in. Next is a ‘t.2.RefreshStatus was: Fail’. and then a getStatus was: Unsuccessful. Error Code: nil now

Sorry, wasn’t able to respond or test the system. I’m having somewhat the same problem, does not auto reconnect, and the temperatures that are showing up are old temperatures. It also shows the last update time as being before the host not found error. I confirmed I have 1.2, did a reload, reboot, power cycle, still same problem. Works (and refreshes) for a few hours then stops working until I login to the portal.

May upgrade to UI7, will let you know if that fixes things.

Same issue here. Works for almost a day, then “host not found”

I’ll see if I can reproduce…though mine has been “connected for weeks.”.

For those experiencing ‘connection’ issues do you have you child device (thermostats) in the same ‘room’ as the parent device(HTCC)? I had originally moved the parent to a room I have setup that contains devices that aren’t used frequently. Timers, PLEGs that sort of thing. Helps keep my AutHomation interface a bit cleaner. I moved the parent back into the same room as the child devices and haven’t noticed a connection issue since. Curious if that may have been the issue.