Plugin: Legrand Lighting Control

Update Jan 12, 2015: Version 1.0 is now available for download from the app store:

Executive Summary: A plug-in that allows you to control your Legrand Adorne whole-house lighting devices.

Requirements:

[ol][li]You must have the Legrand On-Q MR232-G (serial to RF Interface) installed with your Vera. Mine is directly connected to my Vera Lite using a USB / Serial cable, but it should also work if connected though some other serial proxy.[/li]
[li]Your Legrand lighting devices must be “whole-house” lighting devices. There is a distinction between Legrand’s “wireless only” and “wireless, whole-house” lighting devices. Only the whole-house lighting devices work as a mesh network suitable for home automation. Here is a link to the Legrand whole-house products. Note that in addition to those, there is a wireless outlet not listed on that page that is in fact a whole-house product. Finally, both the whole house lighting remote and the room scene wireless remote are compatible with the whole-house lighting products. Those remotes look similar, but function in different ways.[/li]
[li]You must have the lighting devices and the RF adapter installed and bound to your house ID.[/li]
[li]In theory, this will work with any other “Top-Dog RF” lighting devices, but none have been tested.[/li]
[li]This has been tested in UI7, but not UI5. All instructions below are for UI7.[/li][/ol]

Features:
[ul][li]The plug-in installs a parent device that has UI (button) access to 13 whole-house lighting presets. 10 of these are user definable, and 3 of them (House On, House Off, and Daylight) are pre-defined by Legrand. I did not directly expose the “Panic” preset as that requires additional hardware to properly support.[/li]
[li]The parent device will assist you in pairing all of your lighting devices. There are fully automated and semi-manual pairing options.[/li]
[li]Once paired, the child lighting devices are implemented as standard Dimmer switches, or Binary (on/off only) lights.[/li]
[li]House Preset Binding: The parent device will assist you in creating bindings for your 13 legrand house presets. (See first bullet point.)[/li][/ul]

Installation:

[ol][li]Physically install the Serial RF device to your Vera using a suitable USB / Serial cable. (I’m using the one from future electronics with no problems.) Once this is done configure the serial port (Apps…Develop Apps…Serial Port configuration) for 34800 baud, parity=“none”, data bits=8, stop bits=1.[/li]
[li]Install the legrand plug-in. This will install the parent Legrand device.[/li]
[li]Once installed, go back to the serial port configuration and select the parent device just installed in the “Used by Device” field. Click the Reload Luup button.[/li][/ol]

Set-up Lighting Devices:

[ol][li]Expand the parent control by pressing the > button on the control. (See attachment 1).[/li]
[li]Click on the “Pairing” button along the top navigation. (See attachment 2).[/li]
[li]The easiest way to find your devices is to click on the Auto Scan button and then wait for your devices to be found. The process will stop automatically after 15 seconds of no scanning activity. See attachment 2).[/li]
[li]Once your lighting groups are found, click the Auto Create button. This will automatically determine the type of device (dimmer or binary switch) needed, and create a device for each lighting group. (See attachment 3).[/li]
[li]Alternatively, you can “manually pair a device”[/li][/ol]

-- Click the Manual Pair button. (See attachment 4).
 -- Go around your house and flip switches (on/off) on your devices.  The plug-in will detect them as they are switched on / off.
 -- Click one of the create buttons to create vera devices for the found legrand lighting groups.

The child lighting devices themselves are standard dimmer / binary light switches and so should be supported by any 3rd party apps / mobile apps that support standard light switches (which should be most). The light switch actions are exposed of course so they can be integrated into scenes or luup-calls just like any other lighting device. There are additional actions that are exposed by the parent device . I will document these at a future time.

One word about the serial interface: The serial interface can only issue roughly 1 command every 2 seconds. The plug-in has a built in buffer / queue so that if you create a scene that calls for turning on / off several legrand lighting devices at once the practical effect is that lights will turn on / off sequentially about once every 2 seconds. If you really want or need several legrand lights to turn on / off at the same time, this can be accomplished by creating a legrand house preset and then execute that preset with a single command.

Future Update Plans

I am currently thinking about how to implement the concept of Legrand “rooms”. I’ve pretty much decided that I’m going allow the user to create a child devices to represent a legrand lighting “rooms.” This will take a little while to implement with a supportive UI, but it is the next feature planned. After that there isn’t all that much to do…ultimately they are “just lights” after all!

Joey, thank you so much for creating this plugin. I have setup as you have described below.
However I can’t get this step to work " 3. Once installed, go back to the serial port configuration and select the parent device just installed in the “Used by Device” field. Click the Reload Luup button."

Can you please let me know how I can get Vera to recognize the USB/Serial port / device?

Hi Joey,

I am having the same problem. The VeraEdge controller is not recognizing the MR232. I used the same serial to USB cable as you did from Future Electronics. I can’t even configure the serial port.

Please help.

Thanks,

I got it to work. I called up Vera and they updated my firmware so that VeraEdge can recognize the MR232 that is plugged into the USP port. Now, I am able to control my Legrand Adorne lights.

The only thing is programming the presets takes a long time and a pain in the butt.

td3

I think I have everything installed properly however I cannot find any of the Light switches with either Auto Scan or Manual. Am I missing a Step?

about to buy the veraplus and I just want to make sure that will work with the MR232. I have legrands 1st and 2nd generation solution (app based) for control, but would like to control some zwave products without relying on the nexia bridge and $$ fee. I have a trane xl950 but it won’t work as a bridge.

anyhow, i just want to make sure that the USB connection on the plus will work.

TIA

great job by the way!

Drex,
Did you manage to get it all working on Veraplus?
Has anyone had any issues with this plugin or is it working perfectly?
I have a client that wants Adorne dimmers so I need to make sure this works flawlessly with Vera.

Thanks!
Grant

Sorry didn’t see this. Ironically I am waiting for my mr232g to arrive Friday. I am about to order the USB serial adapter. I’ll let you know. Sorry for the delay but life got in the way!

It’s plug and play. Hooked it up and it scanned all devices and works. Just starting to set up the buttons but works great thus far. No issues. Followed instructions and bam. Working!!!thanks JoeyD

Thanks Drex. My client’s project was delayed but it’s now ready to go. I’ll be giving this a shot in the next couple of weeks.

Grant
smartifiedhome.com

After seeing some of the Legrand products installed on a home tour, I really like the look but Vera control is a must. This plugin looks great, but I’m still a little confused about some of Legrand’s terminology as it relates to their switches and dimmers.

Does anyone know if the serial to RF interface mentioned above will work with Legrand’s “WiFi Ready” Adorne products, like this:

[url=http://www.legrand.ca/adorne/products/wireless-whole-house-lighting-controls/astp155rmm1.aspx]http://www.legrand.ca/adorne/products/wireless-whole-house-lighting-controls/astp155rmm1.aspx[/url]?

The 'Whole House" reference from the OP just 404s so I’m hoping someone who has actually implemented this can clue me in. I couldn’t find clear information on the Legrand site.

I’ve now installed about 10 of the RF enabled devices (mostly dimmers, followed by switches) and they work quite well. Control is not an issue and they update status very fast compared to some of my Z-Wave devices which is handy for scene triggering.

The only issue I have had is with the “Auto Create” option. When I choose that, my switches kept showing up as dimmers and, while the Vera UI showed the correct status, they were not controllable. Manually forcing them to switches through the plugin UI worked just fine though.

I’ll be adding more devices over the next few months and will see what happens when the number under Vera control doubles to 20 or so. But I’m really liking the combination of the LeGrand Adorne Touch line with my VeraPlus - they both look great and perform really well. Thanks to JoeyD for blazing the trail here and creating this plugin.

Answering my own post to save some legwork in the future.

I can verify that the following Legrand Adorne devices work just fine with my VeraPlus, JoeyD’s plugin and the serial to RF interface referenced in the first post:

[ul][li]Wireless Master Switch - ASTH155RMW1[/li]
[li]Wireless Master Dimmer - ADTH700RMTUW1[/li]
[li]Remote Wireless Switch - ASTHRRW1[/li]
[li]Remote Wireless Dimmer - ADTHRRW1[/li]
[li]Wi-Fi Ready Outlet* - ARPS15RF2W4[/li][/ul]

All have been installed by me and almost all work as expected. I will update this list as I add any new devices or if anyone has a device working that’s not listed.

[ul]*The outlet is a little strange. When created as a switch, behavior is very unreliable and the status in Vera is often incorrect. Oddly, Vera seems to eventually spontaneously reconfigure the outlet as a dimmer switch, in which case reliability is much better as is status. Not sure if this is something with Vera, the fact that the device is an older version of their RF products or the Legrand plugin has issues.[/ul]

While Legrand has other WiFi enabled devices that may well work, be careful when ordering these components on Amazon, since that site will sometimes list the older RF devices from LeGrand as well - check your part numbers and descriptions very carefully!

So after much consideration, I’m going to start running Home Assistant side by side with my Vera just to see the puts and takes. At some point I will either keep using Vera or move over to HA. My primary motivation for doing this is Vera stability and recurring issues when upgrading firmware.

One of the key device types that are not currently supported in HA are of course the Legrand Adorne products. So, I’m going to try to go down the same path as @JoeyD did a long time ago and create something in HA to control these babies.

Dunno how successful I will be or how much any of this will be remotely similar (other than the RF interface serial protocol) but I will start looking at how this works in Veraland before plotting what to do in HA.

One thing for sure, I suspect that I’ll begin to really appreciate all the work he did to bring this into Vera. Let the games begin!

Howdy!

Glad you enjoyed that labor of love of mine to get Adorne lights (for the most part) working! My Vera lite is still chugging along as is the Legrand plug-in. I’m actually going through a bathroom rennovation soon and I’ll be adding a few more switches so I’ll get to do some more pairing. :slight_smile:

I learned a lot writing this code about 5 years ago… If there is anything I might be able to help you with in terms of the controller behavior, feel free to ask. I just might remember why I did things the way I did…or I might not. :blush:

1 Like

Thanks! I have over 20 Legrand devices on my Vera which all run well expect for the outlets which tend to be flaky for some reason.

I half thought about asking for your source but am not sure if that would help or just make me not learn. But I will let you know how it’s going.

And yeah, I may ask the odd question!

Howdy!
I have a functional install of Z-wave switches, dimmers and scenes.
I have also installed a Legrand MR232-G that is recognized by my VeraPlus controller thanks to @JoeyD 's plugin.
I successfully initiated house binding (LED is green).
However I cant get the Legrand in-wall scene controller LC2303-WH to be recognized during pairing. I don’t have any Legrand switch beside the scene controller.
I am being too ambitious with this install ?