Plugin: Venstar ColorTouch Wi-Fi Thermostats (REBORN!)

Hey rigpapa, does this plugin still not work with openluup? The GitHub page says “This plugin works with ALTUI, but does not work with openLuup at this time”. Out of curiosity I loaded it up on openluup and it appers to be working. Curious if there are some underlying issues I am not seeing.

1 Like

Actually that’s probably an error in the documentation. I need to update that. Thanks for highlighting/asking.

Good to know. Thanks.

Roger, did you or @Rigpapa ever determine if enabling emergency heat was possible via the API? Did Venstar support ever reply to you?

Nope. Even their current documentation makes no reference to emergency heat.

thanks for confirming. I emailed them yesterday as well, but probably won’t hear back. I’ll post their reply if they do.

This was needed for my vacation home where it’s in the single digits and I can’t get up there. Heat Pump defrost cycle kicking in several times a day and temporarily lowering the inside temp several degrees. It’s a 20yr old unit and would be under a lot less stress if I could only remotely set to emergency heat for now.

Are you able to access the Venstar remotely through Skyport? If so, set the heat pump lockout temp. That will kick it over to use the strip heaters.

1 Like

Thanks Roger!

I had previously looked at using Skyport/cloud app supplemental menu, but completely missed there was a settings section for the heat pump that wasn’t in the mobile app.

Setting the lockout will do what I need. This old unit was really struggling with all the defrost cycling (monitored closely via Home Assistant graphs).