Problem with Alexa and Trane thermostat

Hello all. I have a Trane TM500A thermostat that has been connected and working with Vera for a couple of years now. I just added Alexa to my arsenal and it works well with turning the lights on and off but when I ask it to do anything with the thermostat it just says “Thermostat not responding” and nothing happens. Is there a setting I need to change or something?

Mine too has been doing the same. My thermostat is an Alarm.com and I have been getting the same message. Vera has looked into it and had me remove the thermostat and re-add it multiple times to no avail. I can control the thermostat through My VeraEdge with no issues but my Alexa cannot communicate with it, I have even unselect Ed it through the manage devices rebooted Vera re-selected it and still no good.

I’ve found thermostat operation through Alexa to Vera to be very sporadic. I ended up removing the thermostat from the list of devices that Vera shows Alexa, setup the thermostat skill with Alexa separately, and it works great. I have a Honeywell, but the same likely applies. Vera just isn’t that great with thermostat integration and especially when connected to Alexa.

Sometimes if a device has its own skill with Alexa, use it instead.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ve never had a problem with the Vera connection to my thermostat. As in never. Mine is not a supported device so my functionality is very limited but it’s always worked fine. I may end up getting an ecobee or something like that. I’d rather not spend the money though when this one is working fine.

Hey guys, I’v emailed you both, Greybeard and sky320, please check your emails and perform the requested actions, once done, please get back to us so we could investigate and make sure to see this fixed.

If anyone else has this issue, please make sure to email us, but before so, try to do this: Enable Verbose Logging → Settings → Logs → check the box for Verbose Logging & Lock Log Levels.

Once those two boxes are checked, ask Alexa to perform some actions (if this is the issue) and then send us an email with a small description of the issue, or long one if you have the details, but make sure to include the timestamps of your tests, you can use this format: 29.01.2019 → 14:10 I asked Alexa to do “this” and it failed.

Also, please go to: Settings → Customer Care → Enable (bottom of the page) and send us the string that will be generated underneath the “Enable/Disable” button.

All the best!

[quote=“Ionut S, post:5, topic:200508”]Hey guys, I’v emailed you both, Greybeard and sky320, please check your emails and perform the requested actions, once done, please get back to us so we could investigate and make sure to see this fixed.

If anyone else has this issue, please make sure to email us, but before so, try to do this: Enable Verbose Logging → Settings → Logs → check the box for Verbose Logging & Lock Log Levels.

Once those two boxes are checked, ask Alexa to perform some actions (if this is the issue) and then send us an email with a small description of the issue, or long one if you have the details, but make sure to include the timestamps of your tests, you can use this format: 29.01.2019 → 14:10 I asked Alexa to do “this” and it failed.

Also, please go to: Settings → Customer Care → Enable (bottom of the page) and send us the string that will be generated underneath the “Enable/Disable” button.

All the best![/quote]

Information sent.

Support has fixed my problem. If they get back to me about what the issue was I will post here.

The Vera team got my thermostat communicating again. I run an older firmware on both my plus and edge and the firmware does not have the files for the Alexa and Vera to communicate correctly. They added them and the device now talk and the thermostat fully controllable with all my Alexa connected devices.

Ditto here for what my problem was as I am currently running a vera3. But I’m over the “not enough space to update” thing so it’s being retired for a new vera plus in May. Other than the upgrade problem my Vera3 has been a workhorse for 4 years.

Here is what I do to update my Vera 3:

1. Backup with z-wave
  2. Factory reset
  3. Update firmware
  4. Restore backup with z-wave.

You may want to keep the 3 for testing.