Problem with Vision ZD2102 Door Sensor and external contacts

Hi

Anyone used a Vision ZD2102 EU Door / Window Sensors with external metal contacts ?

I have the older version its not the Gen 5 one, so the user manuals are different. For the Gen 5 version it says you have to enable the dry contact by setting parameter 1 to 1 byte Dec and a Value of 255.

However for the older version of this sensor I have, there is no mention of that in the user manual and trying to set that parameter in Vera doesn’t work.

The problem is that when the external metal contacts are connected the door sensor device in Vera does not trip / untrip when opening and closing the external contacts.

If I use the magnet that came with the Vision door sensor that works OK for the internal reed switch and in Vera it does trip / untrip.

Looking in the Vera log when opening the external contacts I see this tamper alarm.

Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 487 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HaDevice1 variable: sl_TamperAlarm was: 1 now: 1 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 skip: 0 v:0x124f528/SL_TAMPERALARM duplicate:0 <0x7678e520>
06	06/21/20 13:41:16.352	Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 487 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SecuritySensor1 variable: LastTamper was: 1592742845 now: 1592743276 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 skip: 0 v:(nil)/NONE duplicate:0 <0x7678e520>
02	06/21/20 13:41:16.444	ZWaveNode::HandlePollUpdate_Alarm node 94 device 487 v1type: 7 v1level: 255 source: 0 status: 255 type: 7 event: 3 parms_len: 0 parms: 3 code: TAMPER_ALARM <0x7678e520>
06	06/21/20 13:41:16.445	Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 487 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HaDevice1 variable: sl_Alarm was: TAMPER_ALARM now: TAMPER_ALARM #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 skip: 0 v:0x124e9f8/SL_ALARM duplicate:0 <0x7678e520>

However when closing the external contacts again I see nothing in the log at all for that event. So basically the device is useless for use with external contacts. I’ve tried opening and closing the external contacts with the sensors supplied magnet for the internal reed switch, next to the sensor and away from the sensor, it makes no difference.

I know my external contacts are working OK as I testing them with an Everspring SM103 door sensor as that has a dry contact input on it as well. However that sensor is being used else where.

In the user manual for the Vision ZD2102EU (Not Gen5 version) that I downloaded it says:

“External Switch: If your window need two
sensors for fully monitoring. You could use an
external switch to connect with the ZD2102 for
extending detection. The ZD2102 has 2 normally
closed contact terminals. These can be used for
additional external switch wired contacts.”

I then found another slightly different user manual online that says:

"External Switch: If your window needs two sensors for fully monitoring. You could use
an external switch to connect with the ZD2102 for extending detection. The ZD2102
has 2 normally closed contact terminals. These can be used for additional external
switch wired contacts. The external switch will send an alarm report (type:01,level:11)
by opening the window/door. "

There is no mention of any device parameters for this older version of the sensor.

It doesn’t appear to send an alarm report, but a tamper report and only when the external contacts are opened but not when closed.

If the optional external switch is normally closed and there is no requirement to change a parameter to enable it, it would suggest that the place to connect the external switch needed to have a jumper in place if not using the external switch. Did you find that jumper across the two terminals?

The external metal contacts are normally closed ones. It says in the manual that the dry contact input is also a normally closed one.

There is a six pin header as you can see in this photo, I haven’t read anything about a jumper however.

My next option might be to actually solder the external contact wires on to the internal reed switch points on the circuit board. No idea if that will work? but not sure what else to try other than trying to buy a new Everspring SM103 door sensor instead.

I only want to use the external contacts not the internal reed switch and the magnet that came with the sensor.

I guess I might have expected to see a jumper wire connected between the screw terminals but if you didn’t find one there then the problem is elsewhere.

I’ve not used the dry contact input now, instead I have soldered the external contacts wires to either side of the internal reed switch.

Now when I open and close the external contacts the sensor trips / untrips as expected in Vera.

Also no need to have the supplied magnet next to the sensor either so can do away with that.

Here are the external contacts wires soldered on either side of the reed switch.

And I’ve just added a Mini DC to DC buck converter so no battery required.

I can just connect it to a USB plug 5v and the buck converter steps it down to 3v which is what the sensors voltage requirement is.

1 Like

It will work. I repurposed a broken sensor just like this, with the same external contact you have. It’s now monitoring my garage door since 2 years.

1 Like