Quick Question: Most common use cases for Smart Plugs ?

Only place I use a Smart Plug are in locations where I want to smart enable something (a old lamp, old kettle etc) where its tricky or not worth having a profesionall installing a binary switch on the back of the power outlet. Or on installations where the power outlet is not smart enabled and I want to put up something temporary, like the lights to a christmass tree.

I strongly try to avoid Smart Plugs and go for in the wall installations to be honest so I only see them usefull for these odd cases use.

[quote=“trygve, post:21, topic:200586”]Only place I use a Smart Plug are in locations where I want to smart enable something (a old lamp, old kettle etc) where its tricky or not worth having a profesionall installing a binary switch on the back of the power outlet. Or on installations where the power outlet is not smart enabled and I want to put up something temporary, like the lights to a christmass tree.

I strongly try to avoid Smart Plugs and go for in the wall installations to be honest so I only see them usefull for these odd cases use.[/quote]

Why? I have about 6 of them. They work fine.

C

A few of my use cases:

1. Disable dehumidifier in basement of seasonal home when the temperature drops below operating level during off-season (e.g. late fall/winter) or overhead door is opened.
  2. Monitor energy usage for large appliances (e.g. dehumidifier, portable HVAC).
  3. Trigger scenes when active/energy consumption increases (e.g. start box fan to circulate air whenever dehumidifier starts dehumidification cycle)

For us they are only used for the following items:

[ul][li]Lamps [/li]
[li]Fan [/li][/ul]

but I know folks who use the power monitoring features in the Aeotec Smartswitches to notify when their dishwashers, washing machines and clothes dryers have finished their runs.

i use it for cozy candles, kitchen ligths, humidificator

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I do not doubt they work fine. I prefer to have these things hidden away. No bulky things poking out of the sockets etc.

[quote=“trygve, post:26, topic:200586”]

I do not doubt they work fine. I prefer to have these things hidden away. No bulky things poking out of the sockets etc.[/quote]

Makes sense :slight_smile:

We don’t have any options in the UK that I can see. Unless a normal Fibaro type module could be purposed into a wall socket. I guess technically there’s little reason but they are always positioned as inserts for lights etc.

C

C

My use is for washing machine power monitoring and tts notification over Sonos when completed, also use for fan cooling unit that sits on top of denon amp (runs really hot in it normal configuration) and exhausts the hot air out the back of the cabinet when the denon is on and for 5 mins after it is turned off

I use one for my IP camera. It likes to freeze up every now and then. This was a way I can cut power for a second to reboot the camera.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im pretty sure I can delete them with my diablo. So I need rear o2 sensor extenders and mil eliminators for the rear, correct? Then header gaskets and bolts.

I hadn’t thought of using them for a hard reset - great idea! I’ve been wanting to get some for portable heaters. Now it’s +1.

I bought NodOn smart plug because it ~have power failure detection.
But I couldn’t use the status for nothing, i can’t “read” it to set a scene or start the siren :slight_smile:

https://nodon.fr/en/nodon/the-z-wave-smart-plug/