Radio Thermostat 3M-50 Wifi support

Hello and thanks for your plug-in.

I install it on veralite without problem. i can command my 3M50 by the vera but i have certainly miss something with the schedule.

Its seem that the thermostat don’t have the temp consign. even after write there in the schedule page.
I use “Forcehold 1” option.

Thanks for all.

Best regards.

[quote=“Elringer, post:21, topic:170555”]Hello and thanks for your plug-in.

I install it on veralite without problem. i can command my 3M50 by the vera but i have certainly miss something with the schedule.

Its seem that the thermostat don’t have the temp consign. even after write there in the schedule page.
I use “Forcehold 1” option.

Thanks for all.

Best regards.[/quote]

Just to be clear, are you using the Vera scheduler page, or Radio Thermostat cloud page?

The Vera scheduler page is still a “work in progress” by MiCasaVerde, so it doesn’t work yet. Currently, if you want to control your thermostat schedule from Vera, you’ll have to set temperatures using Scenes that are triggered by timed events. (see the Automation tab)

If you’re using the Radio Thermostat cloud based scheduler, you’ll need to set “ForceHold” to 0, otherwise Vera blocks the thermostats internal schedule. (by design - that’s what ForceHold is intended to do)

Hugh,
Again: Great plugin. Thanks for your hard work.
I was wondering if you were planning to support energy monitoring/tracking similar to the standard zWave t-stat devices…
Specifically: I am referring to the thermostat’s “Setting” tab where there could be an “Energy Used” field to enter three values comma delimited that represent the power consumed for COOL, HEAT, FAN operations.
Also, maybe a “poll now” button that will allow user to POLL the device on command without changing polling cycle. Great for testing a fresh install to confirm plugin is working properly without the need to wait for the polling cycle.

Thanks for the plugin.
Sean

[quote=“smilligan, post:23, topic:170555”]Hugh,
Again: Great plugin. Thanks for your hard work.
I was wondering if you were planning to support energy monitoring/tracking similar to the standard zWave t-stat devices…
Specifically: I am referring to the thermostat’s “Setting” tab where there could be an “Energy Used” field to enter three values comma delimited that represent the power consumed for COOL, HEAT, FAN operations.
Also, maybe a “poll now” button that will allow user to POLL the device on command without changing polling cycle. Great for testing a fresh install to confirm plugin is working properly without the need to wait for the polling cycle.

Thanks for the plugin.
Sean[/quote]

Sean, no problem, and thanks for pointing out the missing energy used fields. I’ll add those in the next release. (i.e. should be sometime late next week).

I’ll also see what I can do about the polling issue. The plugin does actually poll immediately upon startup to pull the latest data, but for some reason, the Vera UI doesn’t update the display properly. I think it’s a Vera UI bug related to bringing up a new device, but I’ll see if I can find a workaround. (Considering how many times I uninstall and reinstall this plugin, it would be helpful to me too :slight_smile:

HughEaves,

I was wondering if you knew a “quick and dirty way” to upgrade to latest firmware instead of associating with cloud service?

I have a 3M50 with 1.04.64
It is working OK, but I wanted to play with the “extra features” you mention in using latest firmware version.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

[quote=“smilligan, post:25, topic:170555”]HughEaves,

I was wondering if you knew a “quick and dirty way” to upgrade to latest firmware instead of associating with cloud service?

I have a 3M50 with 1.04.64
It is working OK, but I wanted to play with the “extra features” you mention in using latest firmware version.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks[/quote]

Yep, I’ll send you my super secret firmware update URL. (As I’ve never seen RTCOA publish the URL anywhere, I’m going to assume they don’t want everyone to know about it :slight_smile:

I am using this plug-in with two units, I found that when I have scene that changes the stat from Hold to Off Hold the stat keeps the temp setting that was held rather than revert to programmed setting like hitting unhold on the actual device would do. Any ideas?

Good question. The plugin actually does that “by design”, but that doesn’t mean I designed it correctly. :slight_smile:

The reasoning is that if I didn’t do it that way, certain combinations of setting changes would have “indeterminate” results. This is because, in a scene, even though you can change more than one thermostat setting at the same time, the changes are still sent to the thermostat one at a time and in random order. (This is a Vera limitation, not the plugin)

So, for example, if a scene turned off hold and set a new setpoint at the same time, the resulting temperature would depend on whether the setpoint change was sent first, or the hold change. If the setpoint change was sent first, the temperature would end up at whatever setpoint was in the thermostat program instead of the new setpoint. (because turning off hold normally reverts to the program, and the hold change was made after the temperature change) . However, if the reverse happened, the temperature would be set correctly.

To avoid the unpredictable behavior, I thought it would be easier if the plugin so that it always sets the current Vera setpoint along with any other change that is made.

That said, if this issue is not letting you use the thermostats the way you want, I could easily add an extra configuration setting to turn off this behavior. Is that something you’d be interested in?

Hugh

I think it would be useful. I have various scenes that put the thermostat on hold; high temp from another sensor, away, vacation, etc. I want to be able to end those scenes without having to know what the original setpoint is supposed to be and just rely on what is programmed. So whether I come back from away at midnight or midday simply “unholding” will revert to proper setting without the need for multiple scenes and conditions.

Thanks,

M

@resq93,

Version 1.0 of the plugin (which will be released as soon as MCV approves it) has a new configuration setting: “LooseTempControl”. If you enable it, Vera will not attempt to override the temperature on hold and mode changes, and will instead allow the thermostat to revert to whatever setpoint is stored in it’s internal schedule.

@smilligan,

This version of the plugin also has energy consumption support. For now, you’ll need to enter the wattages in the “UserSuppliedWattage” field on the advanced tab as Vera doesn’t show the energy field on the settings tab for non z-wave devices. To fix it I’ll need to write a settings tab from scratch, or see if MCV can change their code to display the field.

Hugh

Thanks - will it upgrade automatically or do I have to check for it?

Any idea where the hold button went? As of this morning I am missing the hold button on all my thermostats, both zwave and wifi! any ideas?

resq93, are you 100% sure it was there before on the z-wave stats? Unless MCV recently made some changes to their Z-wave thermostat user interface, the Z-wave thermostat don’t have a hold button. (I actually had to add it to the wifi thermostat user interface when I was writing the plugin)

That said, it should definitely be there on the Wi-Fi stat. Even in the latest plugin, I haven’t made any user interface changes in quite a while, and it’s working for me. (of course)

So, is the button missing on the dashboard, or in the device settings tab, or both? Have you tried restarting Vera, clearing your browser cache, etc? Any chance you could attach a screenshot so I can get a better idea what’s going on?

BTW, the 1.0 plugin was approved a few hours ago so you should be automatically upgraded to the latest version.

Thanks,
Hugh

I had two 3m-50s set up for a few days and the hold button showed up just fine. Last night I added 3 more CM-30 zwave stats and today I noticed that the hold button is missing from all my stats on all screens.

Here are screenshots of the Z-Wave dashboard interface, and the Wifi dashboard interface. The Wifi interface has the hold button, and also has a text headings above each column of buttons. There is no hold button on the z-wave interface, and there are no headings. ( I copied the Z-Wave screenshot from here: http://docs5.mios.com/doc.php?page=dashboard&language=0&manual=1&platform=2&go=GO )

Are you saying that your WiFi thermostats now have the Z-Wave interface? (i.e. no headings, and no hold button?) If so, can you click on the “Wrench Icon” and tell me what you see on the settings tab? (i.e. which fields are there)

Hugh

Yes - that is correct - they all have the zwave interface now (I would love to use your interface for the zwave ones as well - is that possible? remotes, etc.)

I have one right now and its the same as the top image. I running Vera 2 UI 5

John

[quote=“hugheaves, post:35, topic:170555”]Are you saying that your WiFi thermostats now have the Z-Wave interface? (i.e. no headings, and no hold button?) If so, can you click on the “Wrench Icon” and tell me what you see on the settings tab? (i.e. which fields are there)

Hugh[/quote]
I have the zwave interface - the settings tab shows the following variables: MAC and IP Address -& Automatically configure is set to “use default behavior”

@john, thanks for letting me know.

I’m starting to wonder if something went wrong with apps.mios.com distribution of the latest version. Very early on, my plugin did have the same user interface as the Z-wave thermostat, but I modified it to add the hold button and the headings.

Would you both mind checking your apps tab to see what version of the plug-in (see screenshot below) is being reported? My guess is that it will say 1.0, but I’m thinking that it’s probably installed a mix of 0.1 and 1.0 files. As soon as you confirm, I’ll be putting in a ticket to MiCasaVerde so they can get this fixed ASAP.

Hugh

Mine is still showing 0.8