Rainforest Automation Eagle ZigBee Smart Meter HAN Gateway Plugin

To update, upload the files and “reload”. To install, see below.

CURRENT VERSION:

Version 0.4: Added link status display and link status change notifications

HISTORY:

Version 0.3: Should work with old and new firmware revisions of the Eagle, and can handle negative values in the “Demand” variable.

Version 0.2a: Same as 0.2, but works with the Eagle v2 firmware.

Version 0.2: Display From/To Grid and Net (rounded to nearest Wh). The MeteringType variable can be changed to 0, 1, 2 to forward either of these values to Vera’s energy measurement service. On startup, don’t modify the WholeHouse and ActualUsage variable in case someone wants to modify them.

Version 0.1: Show Energy to grid, and add link strength to dashboard view

Version 0.0: This is a plugin for the Rainforest Automation EAGLE HAN Gateway.

=====================================

INSTALLATION:

Upload all files under Apps → Develop Apps → Luup files

Then, Apps → Develop Apps → Create device
with the following parameters:
Device type = urn:schemas-smartmeter-han:device:SmartMeterHAN1:1
Description = Eagle
Upnp Device Filename = D_SmartMeterHAN1.xml
Upnp Implementation Filename = I_SmartMeterHAN1.xml
Ip Address =
[Create device]

Then, Reload and it should create the plugin device.

On first run, the plugin tries to discover the device’s MAC ID which is then stored for future use. It implements the WholeHouse (optional) and ActualUsage variables and does show up under “Energy”. The plugin sets three variables named “KWHDelivered”, “KWHReceived” and “KWHNet”. “MeteringType” selects which one of them is stored in “KWH” (0 = delivered, 1 = received, 2 = net).

There’s a possibility that the time zone is wrong unless you’re in Texas (the Eagle seems to live in Pacific time zone, but the meter is in UTC I think), please let me know.

=====================================

This is a minor revision from the version originally posted over at http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,14039.0.html
I removed some unnecessary variables and changed one XML file to not throw up when DeviceSpy is scanning it.

As a side note, the Texas distributor for the Rainforest Automation products has spent a lot of time helping me getting the Eagle to work, so all things being equal (including price) why not order from Steve Brightman at swesmarts.com (and tell him you’re giving him your business because he helped me).

Looks like they are out of stock though…

@strangely: I asked and of this morning they had one left (after that one, another one or two weeks). I’d call them.
Edit 10 AM: Last one gone

I modified the plugin to display the “Delivered”, “Received”, and a locally calculated “Net” (see image). The new variable “MeteringType” allows to select which one of the three gets forwarded to Vera’s energy measurement service. You can now also turn off the WholeHouse variable.

They were always out of stock for AU models. I sent them an email asking when they would be available and the next day it was available… Problem was I had been waiting and not asking the question or so it appears and it was being sent yesterday.

Guess I should try to call them then :slight_smile:

Yes, and it seems like a funny way they have to sell your stock - never available online…

I’ve held off buying for that very reason. I kind of object to paying high shipping costs and tax also since the eagle already carries a large premium over the EMU and raven etc.

Anyone have a issue pairing their Eagle? I’m not on my third attempt with SCE, and I’m pretty sure this is going to be waste of time again :frowning:

@strangely: someone at the Green Mountain Energy forums said it started working for him when he registered the device as a display instead of a gateway. YMMV.
I needed two tries myself but it’s been solid since (except for the non-functional ‘history’ screens).
I did move the device further away from Vera’s antenna (put on an external antenna with a long cable) and that improved the ‘link’ status. I wonder whether there was interference between zigbee and zwave!?

Failing all that, i’d suggest you call or email rainforest support. I’ve gotten responses on weekends and late at night, they’re pretty good about that.

I had no choice but to register it as a display since that was the closest option with SCE as a rainforest device. Gateways are listed, but there are no rainforest ones from their management website.

I spoke with a human earlier again and she said that the Eagle was a supported device, and she adjusted it.

Anyway, 7 hours later and its still not linked at the moment… hating this already :frowning:

Third attempt at registering this thing and its still not working :frowning: It got further this time since the SCE website shows it registered, however the Zigbee light 48 hours later is still not solid.

Not very impressed with Rainforest support either since they haven’t gotten back to me via email, and I don’t see a way to be able to call them.

Finally all up and running now after a firmware update to the Eagle and fourth registration attempt :slight_smile:

Plugin seems to be working OK, although I did notice this morning in SQ remote there was a very large number that could not have been correct. Will look out for it again and try to capture the log.

I ordered from Southwest Energy Smarts, and have the Eagle up and working with my Oncor meter and the plug-in from this thread.

So far not sure what all I can do with it…

Thanks for writing the plug-in!

Is there any way to get this device to display correctly on AutHomation or Vera Mobile, or…?

It shows up in Automator and HomeWave. Please let me know if there’s anything I need to change in the plugin to make it compatible (I have neither AutHomation nor Vera Mobile).

[quote=“robertmm, post:16, topic:175309”]It shows up in Automator and HomeWave. Please let me know if there’s anything I need to change in the plugin to make it compatible (I have neither AutHomation nor Vera Mobile).

I would need to add support for this plugin. The developer of the 3rd party apps would need to add support for any 3rd party plugins.

• Garrett

I would hope this plug-in and the Rainforest Eagle product it supports will start selling like hotcakes. For anyone with a Zigbee smart electric meter, this is a lot cleaner (in my opinion) than the clamp-on whole house energy meters, and obviously the usage numbers will match your electric billing since it comes from the meter itself…

I would need to add support for this plugin. The developer of the 3rd party apps would need to add support for any 3rd party plugins.

[/quote]

Could a donation encourage that? I see you (and others) working hard on these MCV projects, but have not seen any donation opportunities…

In truth I can use Bidgely’s or the Rainforest’s own android app to view the electrical usage data, but it would be nice to have it in one place…

I uploaded a slightly modified version of the plugin (0.2a) that works with the latest Eagle firmware.