Relay for DSC alarm PGM output

I’m busy building up my alarm system, integrated into vera. Im setting it up so that when I get the chime button and reset button on the keypad the activate *71 and *72 command outputs, respectively.

I already posted in the programming section inquiring for the possibility to have vera see the output command without the use of a PGM port wired through a relay to a hardwired zone. I’m still waiting on a response for that. In the case that this is not possible I would like to know specifically which type of relay other people have had success with, besides the dsc rm-1.

[url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,32264.0.html]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,32264.0.html[/url]

as we all know PGM1 emits only 50mA of current, which the way I see it, will limit the selection of relays for proper operation. A standard 12 Automotive relay has a coil resistance of average 85ohms which gives it a switching amperage of 140mA…too much for PGM1 but should work for PGM2, rated at 300mA. (Has anybody had succes with a standard automotive relay on PGM2 to verify?)

Please let me know what products you guys are using to acomplish this. Or perhaps if someone has already figured out how to have vera see the command ouput without the use of relay.

Thanks,

I run a couple of ELK-912 relays in my system. They operate on 30 mA current and I find they work perfectly. I chose these because they have terminals instead of pigtail leads, and they installed neatly into my panel using good ol’ 2 sided tape. I have a picture of my panel here in this post. They are the small rectangular devices in the top left of the panel picture.

I have also responded to your other post

Do a search on eBay or Amazon for “5V 9V 12V 24V 1-Channel Relay Module H/L Level Triger with Optocoupler” - very inexpensive little boards with a low-current optocoupler input that drives the relay. The choice of board voltage is determined by the power source you are going to use to power the relay coil - in your case, likely 12V. The board can drive the coil with either an “active high” or an “active low” input - your choice.

Haven’t come across this device yet but it looks like it may come in handy for future applications in the future! thanks for putting it in front of me! This would work for what im trying to do since it can accept a digital or analog input. However, I might as well just go with the a cheaper relay. The whole point was to accomplish this without adding another device at the panel.

I actually got anxious and passed radio shack to see what they had. I found and hooked up a good relay to use. While testing it last night it worked flawlessly.

thanks. I will also be using this for future applications.