Release Notes - UI7 - Vera Firmware Update - v.7.0.31 (1.7.4954/1.7.4955/1.7.4956) - February 19th, 2020

Sorry guys, but I think a forum is to share experiences and I want to share mine. I am a noobie, I like tech stuff as probably all of you and like to discover new things. I began with Vera Lite and then went to Vera Plus. I try to read more than I write and learned a lot from you. I never use beta software for a reason.
And some days ago I upgraded my Vera Plus from last stable (7.0.29) to this new one (7.0.31) as I saw reports of successful instalations. So, I thought I would not have any problem. I only had 4 plug ins, which only two were in use. I do have a lot of devices (I believe no more than 60), mostly lights and outlets.

But after doing the upgrade process, I waited for 65 minutes until I decided to unplug it and plug it back as the screen didn’t change after the upgrade process. Right before, only the power light was on. I had faith after doing the unplug/plug back my VeraPlus would come back. But it didn’t.

I contacted support. No response. Than, after @Sorin gave a little help, someone contact me and offered some advice about pressing the reset button 3 times. If it didn’t work, to schedule a phone meeting. Well, it didn’t work and I asked for the phone meeting to be the next day. as I really need my VeraPlus back on order. Nothing, not even a reply saying that would not be possible. I wrote again asking for tomorrow. Let’s see. Anyway, I may have a bricked VeraPlus now. There is no way, at my present knowledge, I can access the unit. I even pressed the reset button and then plugged it, but only to get all lights on and power light blinking and nothing else.

I am very worried and scared. Really. Is this the type of support a customer deserves? Maybe they are overwhelmed with so many assistances from this last update, I don’t know. But I can’t help feeling I am alone.

Really disappointed…

Does anyone know anything about bringing VeraPlus back when it only has the power light on? I really hope someone can help me…

2 Likes

Tagging @Sorin again…

In the hope you can get someone to help

C

Yeah, but know it seems to be worst. Anyway, I rebooted my device and it was empty. I had to restore from backup. Uhm.

Updated my VeraPlus. Positive experience. All seems to work including the Hue2 app. PLEG fired the laundry light to turn on when motion was detected, etc.

I had a fairly clean and stable unit. So I backup up the unit, went to the firmware screen, and selected update, since I did not have any memory issues.

After about 16 minutes of updating and the Vera not telling me it was done, I looked at the unit and the power light was flashing. So I unplugged and replugged in the Vera.

I noticed a solid power light, then the Internet light. After a few minutes a solid power light - perhaps it rebooted. Then the Internet light. Another couple of minutes, solid power light, then internet light, then z-wave and ZigBee lights. Went to the UI, and it seems to be working fine.

I reset my LUUP startup counter to see if I get less than 1 or 2 restarts a day.

I really think the secret to my success - I brought out my Relaxing Lavender candle this morning. The wife was thankful. Perhaps the Vera was thankful as well :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Seems you need a wing and prayer with Vera updates.

I’ve still not updated my Vera Plus dare not do it LOL.

It indeed seems to be akin to that. It is seemingly random and can be vary a lot in frequency and intensity… And the more I think about it the more I am floored by how they managed to get away with such an absurd design for so many years and apparently have had patches and patches building code working around this thing instead of addressing it. I digress. Smoke is coming off of my head. Sorry

For those who want to be sure not to have the “device reconfiguration surprise” for devices which have been recently “officially supported” run a backup, run this code in the lua test screen:

for k, v in pairs(luup.devices) do
    if v.device_num_parent == 1 then
    luup.variable_set("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HaDevice1", "AutoConfigure", "0", k)
    end
  end

Reload luup, Run another backup before the upgrade. It should prevent the vera from reconfiguring your devices post upgrade. There are a lot of new devices supported between 7.29 and 7.31. It should alleviate problems with these previously working devices.

Another recommendation is to run upgrades with a factory reset and restore from your backup. It should make things cleaner.

1 Like

I must confess that I’m not seeing a huge incentive to upgrade. That my be limited on my part, but I see none of the issues (*) and don’t seem to need any of the benefits.

C
(*) Issues I have are limited to slow response on the network and Alexa commands not getting to Vera

1 Like

I may have spoken too soon. Although it seems stable (not much going around the house to really test things), I am noticing a number of Vera Reboot notifications from Pushover. And it is reported as 2 reboots within 1 minute, but System Monitor reports 1 reboot and 1 restart. I suppose that is a away to reduce LUUP restarts. Since the update at 3:45, 7 Reboots as of 5:08.

I’ll give it a little more time to settle down before I open a ticket with support - maybe this weekend unless a real workout tonight and in the morning really impacts the WAF.

Today I upgrade my VeraPlus to 7.31.

These are the steps that I have performed
• backup
• factory reset
• update the empty unit
• restore from backup

After upgrade to 7.31 all zwave devices have disappeared! My RFXCOM devices are visible and working correctly. Who can help me to get all my devices back? I also sent an email to support.

Do the hardware Factory reset and restore again, this happened to me a while back and this fixed it.

Thanks for the quick response. I have done a new factory reset and restored the backup. It does not work

It seems that I have solved the problem by ticking the “Restore Z-wave network” when I restore the backup

3 Likes

@Sorin
I sent an email to support@getvera.com just now. Is the support link in the VeraPlus broken or are you overwhelmed?

Hi,

I’ve raised everything you posted here to the technical team to be included in the scope for the 7.32 release.
If there are other minor items that were reported/requested and are not yet solved please ping me (PM or in this post) to make sure I’ll bring them into discussion.

Thanks,
Ioana

2 Likes

Hi, @Ioana and @rafale77.

I am following this thread and to be honest I have a serious doubt about when to do the upgrade.

Should I wait for the hotfix that is expected for thus week or the following one?

Should I wait for a future 7.0.32 that we don’t know what time plan has?

Whatever you answer, please, consider that many of us are real end-user, whit maybe some technical knowledges, but we are not Linux, either VERA firmware technicians.

Thanks and best regards.

Javier

May I strongly suggest that someone from corporate CONDUCT A POLL asking users whether they:

• Already upgraded with minor or no issues
  • Already upgraded with major issues resulting
  • Have not upgraded, but intend to upgrade soon
  • Have not upgraded, and do not intend to upgrade
  • Have no opinion about upgrading to 7.0.31 firmware

Might help get a sense of where everybody stands!!

2 Likes

Checking on this.

I think if anyone poll’s at Corporate Then they would Get NONCED and be CANNED.

pardon the joke.

5 Likes

@Ioana

Regarding the Philips Hue problem.

All my Hue bulbs have disappeared from Vera now !

However I have not even updated to this new Vera firmware. My Vera Plus is still on version 1.7.4453 (7.29).

I couldn’t control my lamps in my living room and I noticed that the Philips Hue plugin v1.76 (not the AltHue one) in the UI7 was turned Off. I turned it back on.

Hue Scenes still work OK from Vera UI7 using the Hue plugin, however the actual Hue bulbs have all vanished from the UI7.

My Hue bridge is now on version 1937045000 and shows that it updated today, despite the fact in the Hue mobile app I had turned off auto updates in the settings.

Looking on the Philips Hue release notes webpage version 1937045000 was released by them today.

The prior version of the Hue bridge was version 1935144040 and everything was working OK on that version since January when that version was released by Philips.

So I’d say this Philips Hue problem is not related to the 7.3.1 Vera firmware update ?

So what the hell is going on and how do I fix it ?

Thanks

EDIT:

I have a 3rd party Zigbee ZLL LED strip controller a Dresden fls-pp lp and that is still showing in the UI7 and controllable. Its the genuine Hue bulbs that have vanished.

Does anyone know which Philips Hue plugin file to actually modify ?