Repeater for Z-Wave Plus, Zigbee, Bluetooth LE, and Wi-Fi

I have a VERA Plus and a VERA Secure — What is the best repeater for all of these signals: Z-Wave Plus, Zigbee, Bluetooth LE, and Wi-Fi?

Kicking this to the top

Don’t believe there is such a thing

And the other question is ‘what do you want one for?’

C

I have one motion sensor that goes offline a few times a week, I am assuming that it is the signal. Any help would be appreciated.

Does it ever drop a motion event? How far is it from Vera?

(I have a motion sensor that is literally 18 inches from it, and it can’t be detected right now…)

C

Have you tried including it again in the network? You can look into the aeotec range extender 6 or purchase any z wave switch and install it somewhere in between the controller and motion sensor and it’ll act as a range extender

Is this motion sensor Zigbee or Zwave? How many devices of the same protocol are in your network? Brand and model help as well.

It is a Enerwave…ZWN-BPC (ceiling mounted).

I have 8 devices and this one goes off line 3 to 4 times a week.

Why not simply answer the poster’s question???

For zwave, my understanding is that all line-powered (aka AC, mains) devices act as repeaters. Nonetheless, per her request, I recently installed an Aeotec ZW117 Ranger extender 6 for a friend’s system. At first it didn’t seem to do anything, but after ~24 hours it did work, and continues to work perfectly. Maybe it needed to “learn” a route, but I am unsure as the documentation on how it actually works is lacking.

For Wi-Fi, newer access points/routers often have more powerful antennas. Configuring a second access point as a repeater (“access point mode”) will extend the range.

All wireless signals are affected range, weather, obstacles, other wireless devices on the same frequency, electrical devices, and devices that produce magnetic fields.

As the OP asked I responded there’s no such thing as a z wave/wifi/zigbee repeater. Then other posters asked why so that we could further help. We did more than answer the question directly we also went further to help maybe search for a better solution.

1 Like

I want to thank everyone for assisting - any additional help is welcomed…

What I have found to be very effective is to exclude the device and include it in again. How far roughly is the motion sensor from the controller? Where are the other z wave devices located? You can try bringing the motion sensor closer to the controller temporarily for a few days to see if it still goes offline, if it doesn’t that confirms its a range issue and you’ll need a z wave range extender (either a dedicated extender or any AC powered z wave device).

That’s a good idea

This video discusses some of the protocols and is provided for information only and no endorsement of the author or accuracy. Z-Wave vs. Zigbee vs. Wi-Fi! Smart Home Basics: How To Pick The Right Protocol - YouTube

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.