RESOLVED: Vera Lite will not boot - flashing blue power light

I too encountered this and what a horribly frustrating experience. I can’t believe that we are here in 2018, almost three y ears after Windows 10 came out and we STILL have no alternatives. I was lucky that I work in IT and I was able to…not easily…dredge up a very old, very creaky laptop with XP on it. For the record, an XP laptop plugged directly via ethernet into the Vera Lite worked perfectly by the book…once I sourced an XP laptop.

The recovery tool worked, thankfully, but this is really not OK.

I understand, as I work in IT, that hardware and software change generationally and you cannot support old hardware platforms forever…however, Vera Lite is not an ancient product. Is MiCasa selling us a product that we should expect to have to re-purchase every 3-5 years? For a piece of hardware that’s supposed to be the nexus of a home automation and security platform that’s really dubious.

Now I’m terrified that next time I have a firmware update I’ll be stuck in the same position. Part of me wants to just punt and buy a new Vera, but that’s really just playing into a notion that it’s somehow my responsibility to buy new hardware every few years, and as a 20 year veteran of the IT industry that just seems unacceptable.

[quote=“amikolajczyk, post:21, topic:181194”]I too encountered this and what a horribly frustrating experience. I can’t believe that we are here in 2018, almost three y ears after Windows 10 came out and we STILL have no alternatives. I was lucky that I work in IT and I was able to…not easily…dredge up a very old, very creaky laptop with XP on it. For the record, an XP laptop plugged directly via ethernet into the Vera Lite worked perfectly by the book…once I sourced an XP laptop.

The recovery tool worked, thankfully, but this is really not OK.

I understand, as I work in IT, that hardware and software change generationally and you cannot support old hardware platforms forever…however, Vera Lite is not an ancient product. Is MiCasa selling us a product that we should expect to have to re-purchase every 3-5 years? For a piece of hardware that’s supposed to be the nexus of a home automation and security platform that’s really dubious.

Now I’m terrified that next time I have a firmware update I’ll be stuck in the same position. Part of me wants to just punt and buy a new Vera, but that’s really just playing into a notion that it’s somehow my responsibility to buy new hardware every few years, and as a 20 year veteran of the IT industry that just seems unacceptable.[/quote]

I agree with you completely but after seeing it from a manufactures perspective and evaluating costs for the hardware, please remember Vera has to maintain a low product cost to compete with other manufactures to produce a <150$ computer that will control your entire home.
Putting chips in that will do no more than what is expected of them at the time of design and manufacture is one aspect for maintaining that price point. Then we as consumers and product designers expect more of this hardware and complain when we run out of memory or have slow responses with these devices.
Look at TV’s that use to last 20 years. Now we have to replace them every 4 to 5 years to get the best of them.
I am afraid it is the way we are heading. I also hate the e-waste this mentality brings.

Apparently we have 2 options;
If you want your devices to maintain the response and reliability they have at the time of purchase, I am afraid you have to disconnect them from the internet and never do an update to them.
Or,
Update them regularly until they wear out or can not handle the new software then buy a upgraded product to handle the new software and deal with the ramifications of those updates.

[quote=“Sorin, post:17, topic:181194”]Hi guys, please also try the steps from the attached file.
The trickiest part is to put it in restore mode, so it responds to 192.168.1.1.
Once you have it in restore mode you can telnet and run the commands from the attached file

[font=verdana][size=1em][url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Fb6EM9-DcxZC1xNmZMQldfRUk]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Fb6EM9-DcxZC1xNmZMQldfRUk[/url][/size][/font][/quote]

I tried those instructions, but only get as far as completing the telnet commands. When my Veralite reboots, it doesn’t go through the light sequence mentioned. It just flashes the blue light for a bit (slow then fast), then the green light starts a slow blink, then a very fast blink, then repeats the sequence starting with only the blue light again. I would appreciate any other suggestions you may have to get it running again. Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind. My Veralite finished booting once it had an internet connection again - had to reconnect it to my router instead of keeping it connected to my computer.

Hi all, I did the suggested procedure and I get my unit back to recovery. Now I can ping and telnet, runing the commands…
after changed the network settings on my laptop, i can reach the 192.168.81.1 but green light blinks like a crazy horse, and the webserver have this message: Luup engine is taking longer to reload.

it’s now loop in this stage… nothing can do then… any clue?