Ring Doorbell With Wink Connect

I have a Ring doorbell and am using Wink Connect without a Wink Hub to trigger porch lights. The notifications from Wink only trigger the light scene intermittently. A luup restart will start the trigger working again. The time until it stops working can be hours to days (usually on the order of a day). Has anyone gotten this to work reliably? If so, how?

Thanks

You’ve gotten farther than I have - I can’t even get Vera to add the device (switch or motion) after installing the app …

By chance do you have both the Vera Wink plugin and the regular Wink app installed and set up? According to cybrmage in his threads you can only have one or the other. That might be why you can’t get the device added.

[quote=“ksh, post:1, topic:196125”]I have a Ring doorbell and am using Wink Connect without a Wink Hub to trigger porch lights. The notifications from Wink only trigger the light scene intermittently. A luup restart will start the trigger working again. The time until it stops working can be hours to days (usually on the order of a day). Has anyone gotten this to work reliably? If so, how?

Thanks[/quote]

I haven’t found sensors to be reliable enough to even bother with this route. The Ring’s motion sensor has some dormant periods it won’t even recognize motion and I feel when battery is above 70% is the most reliable time to get a notification without pushing the doorbell itself.

Have you looked at any of the logs? I recommend the ELVira Excel macro enabled log viewer in this forum for easy filtering and reading to see what messages produce. If you need a luup reload to get it to work again it should show you something.

By chance do you have both the Vera Wink plugin and the regular Wink app installed and set up? According to cybrmage in his threads you can only have one or the other. That might be why you can’t get the device added.[/quote]

Interesting! I have the regular Wink app installed on my phone as it appears to be the only way to add the Ring doorbell to my Wink profile, and then yes the “Wink Connect” vera app. I can always trying uninstalling the one on my phone, the only reason I have it was to get the Ring doorbell integrated into it.

Same here, uninstalled the phone app. Still a no go. Cant integrate ring without the app… =/ Did you ever get it to work?

Seems to have cut off. Had to reconnect device as of June 3. Don’t know what changed, on Vera, etc, but even after reconnected with Ring, there is now no way to connect the doorbell in. Doesn’t show up in Wink connection in vera, although, the stick up cam does.

I wonder if anyone with an actual Wink Hub, and a Ring Doorbell, would be able to confirm if it’s still functional for them?

The newest version seems to have solved the issue - I now have both the motion detector and doorbell showing in Vera!

From all indications, I would argue that Vera should (eventually) be able to interface somehow with the Ring Doorbell. What makes Wink – or my Ring app, or the Windows 10 applet, etc. – so special that Ring activity is only compatible with them?

Is Vera presently less adept at interacting with network-connected devices? And if so, why?

I do understand that some ecosystems (e.g. DLNA media hubs, or Network Attached Storage devices) may “make no sense” to Vera, but considering how frequently we now hear about third-party controllers and apps (not to mention Amazon Echo skills) being able to sense and control other brands’ devices in multiple ways (Bluetooth, Wifi, IR, etc.), I’d like to think Vera could adapt to do the same.

To sum up, while I don’t know the actual API or operational specifics of how Ring Doorbell sends out notifications, I do know (a) it has an API because IFTTT already provides a Ring applet, and (b) it must send out on-network messages immediately every time the doorbell rings and/or motion is sensed … how else would my Ring Chime know when to chime, or my Android phone know when to alert me?

Interested to know what the hold-up is, even if it involves licensing or similar roadblock.

THANKS! - Libra

[quote=“LibraSun, post:10, topic:196125”]From all indications, I would argue that Vera should (eventually) be able to interface somehow with the Ring Doorbell. What makes Wink – or my Ring app, or the Windows 10 applet, etc. – so special that Ring activity is only compatible with them?

Is Vera presently less adept at interacting with network-connected devices? And if so, why?

I do understand that some ecosystems (e.g. DLNA media hubs, or Network Attached Storage devices) may “make no sense” to Vera, but considering how frequently we now hear about third-party controllers and apps (not to mention Amazon Echo skills) being able to sense and control other brands’ devices in multiple ways (Bluetooth, Wifi, IR, etc.), I’d like to think Vera could adapt to do the same.

To sum up, while I don’t know the actual API or operational specifics of how Ring Doorbell sends out notifications, I do know (a) it has an API because IFTTT already provides a Ring applet, and (b) it must send out on-network messages immediately every time the doorbell rings and/or motion is sensed … how else would my Ring Chime know when to chime, or my Android phone know when to alert me?

Interested to know what the hold-up is, even if it involves licensing or similar roadblock.

THANKS! - Libra[/quote]

In another thread, someone from Vera explained that it was because Ring doesn’t include the video into the API, and they are not comfortable doing a ‘partial’ integration. Obviously Ring sees it as a threat to their video subscription service and the revenue that generates. Personally I would prefer to see partial versus none, but get where they’re coming from.

[quote=“dclloyd, post:11, topic:196125”][quote=“LibraSun, post:10, topic:196125”]From all indications, I would argue that Vera should (eventually) be able to interface somehow with the Ring Doorbell. What makes Wink – or my Ring app, or the Windows 10 applet, etc. – so special that Ring activity is only compatible with them?

THANKS! - Libra[/quote]

In another thread, someone from Vera explained that it was because Ring doesn’t include the video into the API, and they are not comfortable doing a ‘partial’ integration. Obviously Ring sees it as a threat to their video subscription service and the revenue that generates. Personally I would prefer to see partial versus none, but get where they’re coming from.[/quote]

I made the same comment too on that.

Sorry to post twice. I posted this on the main Wink app thread, then saw this. Anyway my Ring notification to enable turning on my front door light used to work through Wink to Vera through the app, but it stopped a few weeks ago. I removed the app and reinstalled, but now can’t even get it to accept my username and password on the setup screen.

Hi

I have been using it for months no issues all working perfect. You need to have the ring app and wink app on the same phone or iPad. Once setup it should be all good.