Ring Video Doorbell - Vera?

Hi edempsey. Ring has been less than cooperative in working with us. We will be integrating some kind of door bell device but which one has yet to be determined.[/quote]

I got this same answer in one of the IFTTT threads. It seems no other third parties want to integrate their services with Vera. The questions is: “Why”?

Shhhhhhhh… that’s the burning question no one wants to address.

“If everyone else is wrong, maybe it’s time time to look in the mirror”

Has anybody made progress on this? I fancy the Ring bell so hoping somebody has managed some kind of bridge ?

I have the latest Skybell HD and I managed to integrate it with my Vera / Z-wave in a couple ways:

1. I integrated an Everspring SM103 door sensor that taps into my doorbell transformer (search this forum on how to do this). That doorbell button press triggers an event and I can use that to run scenes. What I set up was, if doorbell button presses, and is night, turn on my front door light.

2. A more “direct” integration is Skybell HD supports IFTTT and Vera also “supports” IFTTT via Maker (don’t understand why every IoT thing in the world supports IFTTT, but not Vera. It is what it is.) So I have the Skybell detects motion and conducts a Maker call to trigger a quick video record and turn on bedroom light.

[quote=“Dansker, post:13, topic:188907”]No whack sensor. Does have a motion sensor…

Installed a DoorBird today. Works as advertised and it is fast.

However,

1: the mounting bracket has to much “flex” and does not mount directly to the wall due to counter sunk dimples for mounting screws.

2: the image quality if just fine, except: today was a sunny day here in the NorthWest, the DoorBird is mounted facing north underneath an overhang. Effectively the person’s face was backlit to a degree you can not make out the face. The DoorBird guys can improve the image usability with some image processing. Alternatively, a unit with a few LED’s to light up the face a bit would be good, or an adjacent light. This is likely an issue with other similar unit.

Here is a pix saved from the DoorBird app and a pix of the back side.[/quote]

Looks interesting.

Given that I have tried Skybell v1 and that didn’t go well I am now considering Ring or DoorBird. Looking at the pictures they are using special cables? The benefit of Skybell was that they were able to use the standard 2 wire doorbell wiring to power the product.

How is the cabling accomplished? I do have my stoneage doorbell integrated with the SM103 sensor integrated into Vera so will Doorbird work with my existing setup?

I have Ring and would just really like to be able to turn my front light on when it senses anything. I know I can add another motion sensor and get this done, but the Ring is already a motion sensor…

Ring has a Pro model for $50 more that uses existing doorbell for power and chimes (so you don’t need the added $30 chime or deal with replacing batteries). It’s much slimmer too, allowing it to be mounted it in place of the existing doorbell button, plus its 1080p vs 720p.

Wife is really after me to get a Ring installed after seeing it in Costco (which bundles a chime), but needed to check here first if there was any possibility of Vera integration. Paying any additional monthly fee is a show stopper, so looks like I am going to have to look for an alternative that will work with Vera and will appease my wife.

@wantonsoup - see jeff3lo’s solution using IFTTT maker to trigger motion from the Ring to Vera

@Pseudomizer - jeff3lo got his skybell HD to trigger button push with his SM103. The wired Ring Pro should also work with the SM103, but I am going to look into his IFTTT/Maker workaround if I get the Ring or Doorbird.

@jeff3lo - Thanks for the great info!

Sure a disappointment we don’t a fully integrated Vera solution already.

@Pseudomizer - You may not know but Skybell v1 and v2 don’t support IFTTT so if you were to upgrade to HD version it opens up a few more other opportunities. (Ask them for any ongoing upgrade specials.)

For the record, I don’t work for Skybell! :slight_smile: But I have been a Skybell supporter because in my situation, the technology works for me, while the aesthetic of the Skybell works for my wife! It’s not flying for me to install a big rectangle block in front of my house…

@Jeff3lo - I was about to pull the trigger and buy the Skybell HD from Amazon, but they are sold out now.

The main negative I’ve read about the Skybell HD is how they handle motion sensing. It seems the best they offer now is to trigger an alert only if someone is standing directly in front really close for 10-15 seconds or pushes the button. (they do state this is something they are working on improving, but the older model which has been out for a few years worked the same way).

Has this limitation not been an issue for you and wife? Or do you primarily rely on someone pushing the doorbell and triggering alerts with the SM103 Vera integration?

Thanks!

You could add some support for the Aeon doorbell that already works with vera. Currently it takes luup code to control the audio files. A control panel would be nice.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=35302.0

@GaryOkie: Yes, the motion sensing doesn’t work too well based on my experience as well, in my case I don’t really rely on it.

What I set up in my house is actually a Dakota Alert 2500 that ties to another SM103. The Dakota is installed at the drive way so I get alerted when someone trips the infrared beam even before approaching my front door.

The Dakota + SM 103 set up works really well for me. But yes, I still wish Skybell will make the motion sensing better soon.

Hi edempsey. Ring has been less than cooperative in working with us. We will be integrating some kind of door bell device but which one has yet to be determined.[/quote]

Any updates?

I have both a Ring doorbell and Wink hub, while yes you can “integrate” the Ring into Wink it still makes you load the Ring app to view the video feed. Ring does work with the Wink Connect plugin but the author of the plugin is out of commission for awhile due to health issues. You get access to the motion sensor and the button to trigger scenes.

Hi

I just purchased the Ring Doorbell Pro and i am wondering if anyone has had any success with a plugin for vera? This would be a great addition. All support greatly appreciated.

T

[quote=“Newzwaver, post:35, topic:188907”]Hi

I just purchased the Ring Doorbell Pro and i am wondering if anyone has had any success with a plugin for vera? This would be a great addition. All support greatly appreciated.

T[/quote]

The issue with the Ring door bell is that they do not give us proper access to the video feed which makes keeps up from being able to integrate it properly.

What do we need to do to get them to release the information for you?

[quote=“Marc Shenker, post:36, topic:188907”][quote=“Newzwaver, post:35, topic:188907”]Hi

T[/quote]

The issue with the Ring door bell is that they do not give us proper access to the video feed which makes keeps up from being able to integrate it properly.[/quote]

So at least integrate that if it senses motion or the doorbell is pressed I should be able to execute actions, like turn on a light.

Ring is currently partnered with a few other HA services, like Wink, lockitron ADT and another few to to open locks or lights right from the Ring app, why isn’t Vera there? Or at least integrate with IFTTT, which Ring is also integrated.

Nothing because this is against Ring’s strategy. The same strategy as Kuna has. I did publish on my website from the IoT World that Kuna Product Management has no plans to offer any kind of integration to keep their system secure but more importantly offer their cloud feature for storing videos and playback on demand. Same will apply here. Ring has massive amounts of storage for customer data and they don’t want to publish any information enabling storing of video content somewhere else than their cloud.

I believe the chances of getting that kind of information are slim to none but just to be clear… I would be the first one if any smart door bell would integrate properly into Vera and into BlueIris.

was there any response from doorbird? seems like the better doorbell out of all of them.