Running lua when something happens

I’m making a return to Vera, and I’m just getting familiar with UI7. In my previous setup, I used UI5 and PLEG to send Prowl notifications whenever something happened that I wanted to be notified of: a door opening when I’m not there, motion detection, etc. I’ve been playing around with Reactor, and it works just fine–but to create a whole new Reactor sensor seems like overkill if I just want to run a couple lines of lua code when an event occurs.

Is there a better way?

I do this by setting up a luup.variable_watch in my startup lua which then runs a function with the couple of lines of code also in the startup lua. So yes it is possible.

Do you have an example?

Welcome back!

1 Like

function updateoL(lul_device, lul_service, lul_variable, lul_value_old, lul_value_new)
local tgt = tonumber(lul_device) + 10000
local url = string.format(“http://openluupip:3480/data_request?id=variableset&DeviceNum=%s&serviceId=%s&Variable=%s&Value=%s”,tgt,lul_service,lul_variable,lul_value_new)
luup.inet.wget(url)
end

for k, v in pairs(luup.devices) do
if v.category_num == 4 and (v.subcategory_num == 1 or v.subcategory_num == 3) then
luup.variable_watch(“updateoL”, “urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SecuritySensor1”, “Tripped”, k)
end
if v.category_num == 7 then
luup.variable_watch(“updateoL”, “urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:DoorLock1”, “Status”, k)
end
end

This is what I use to have the vera send immediate status updates to openLuup instead of waiting for verabridge to poll the vera on security sensors and locks.

1 Like

This is sometimes the case, but two things: (1) ReactorSensors are very light on system resources; (2) Reactor 3.0 (early May release, Beta available now) lets you have multiple logic blocks and multiple activities in one ReactorSensor, so you could, for example, have one RS that’s just a catch-all for number of tiny jobs that otherwise would be too trivial or cluttery to keep in separate RS’s.

That’s interesting–the bold part is exactly what I used to do in PLEG. I had a single, hmm, Condition?–the terminology escapes me now–which had as many as 30 triggers, each one representing an event about which I wanted to receive notification.

That will be a feature to look forward to.

This is nearly identical to my setup.