Scenes capabilities for the new Ezlo Platform

would be nice to be able to send http request POST and GET, with a form body or json, without having to code it

2 Likes

Something I didn’t see mentioned in this thread is that we need scenes to run 100% local and if a scene cannot for some reason, it should clearly display this.

I use SmartThings for 90% of my home now because they integrate with nearly anything. I’ve also figured out how to confirm which devices/scenes run locally and it is insanely fast and reliable. If anything touches the cloud, it increases process time by as many as 5 seconds. Unsatisfactory

Example local scene on SmartThings:
If any of 12 lights are turned on, flip virtual switch to on. If motion detection, check virtual switch. If on, do nothing. If off, turn on 3 can lights leading to storage room. Monitor motion and if ever no new motion for 4 minutes, turn off those 3 lights. This executes within .5 seconds.

Example of cloud scene in SmartThings:
Same exact example above but check light sensor before flipping those lights on to account for natural light in the room. Adding that 1 step can cause the scene to delay for a few seconds.

Allow full time countdowns, various sensor checks, etc. all LOCAL. Without local scene execution, it would be a no go.

3 Likes

I am really surprised you are asking this. You should know how popular pleg and Reactor are and, just based on forum posts, why. Then add in the virtual device plugins, ghost and the like.

You could look at the competition. Smartthings needs things like pistons and core to provide complete boolean logic. Hubitat exists as a standalone controller because they got tired of being blamed for their 3rd party ST logic engine being slowed by the ST cloud.

Homeseer has an event system that is pretty darned complete and includes virtual devices, timers, and counters and has the advantage of not needing a keyboard 99% of the time to set up complex if a and b but not c then d logic.

Since you aren’t doing that, here:

I had luup logic to take a scene controller input from 2 buttons and either turn on light/increase brightness or decrease brightness/turn off the light.

Pleg managed my hvac. At night the bedroom temp sensor would cause the thermostat target temp to go up or down, and during the day it would use the downstairs thermostat. At all times there was a min/max temp for both sensors that would ensure neither zone left the survivable zone. There were different temp targets for heating and cooling modes. (Both set points!)

If the zones were in conflict (one area at max temp while other at min temp), I was notified because either a window was open or something was on fire.

If the weather feed indicated there was a tornado watch/flood warning/etc it would trigger an appropriate announcement.

The doors re-lock automatically after being closed for 3 minutes during the workday or after 11pm.

Pressing a scene controller button turns off the overhead light and then turns it back on in 5 minutes (snooze)

All scenes involving audio announcements would not run if a virtual mute switch was active.

The virtual mute switch would be disabled after 1 hour.

2 Likes

Hi ,

YES, please!! :innocent:

@Ioana, is implementation of z-wave error messages on the roadmap?

Hi,

We’re currently looking into this. Thank you for bringing it in our attention again. I read the post you started on this topic.
Other than trigger notifications, would you like to use the Z-Wave messages for something else? Maybe in scene creation?
Just give us please as many use-cases as possible.

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you!

It’s on the list already. Anything else you would like to have?

Hi,

How would you like to interact with this functionality? Please expand as much as possible, and give us use-cases for this functionality.

@Ioana

It should be obvious. Cases, being able to communicte with on line api’s some will only accept post request in json. so the ability to choose how to submit http request would be useful.This use would be useful for beginners who can not code. Communicate with http devices ie tasmote and espeasy,etc

interact
drop down list to select protocol and an input field that accepts json format or form url

It may also be useful to have the ability to select if you want scenes to wait for a response from api and device requests before moving on.

1 Like

Hello @vezinpi
Thank you for your input. It is not a negative feedback what you just said :slight_smile: We are already focused as you also proposed both on PLEG and Reactor. If you want to add more you can always repost here or PM me (which ever is easier for you.)

Thanks
Mehmet

1 Like

Integration with Honeywell thermostats is also beautiful. Now a plug-in is used, but this is not stable

1 Like

Mostly for notifications, but one example is to have a virtual switch turn to ON for visualisation on a control panel that something has happened/is not resolved?

1 Like

Look at Microsoft Power Automate for inspiration.

1 Like

I would really like to see a secure RESTFUL api with a secure token. Where I can interact with the state of devices from another device that may use GET and POST messages. I would like to be able to read the state of devices managed by the hub and even be able to change the state of the device.

Having a secure api token that the device generated would keep this interaction secure. This would really open the door for cross interaction with devices like raspberry pi, arduino and esp8266 based projects.

Paul.

Also please don’t remove the ability to do some custom programming with lua or something similar. Plugins and components never fully cover what a programming language can.

Also if you can improve the work flow for programming and debugging, that would be great, currently development is really clunky and slow.

1 Like

Just please ignore the UI/UX implementation of PLEG, it can make a seasoned IT professional run screaming for his cuddly penguin!

Reactor and Node-Red are much better examples of implementing scene logic in a user-friendly way.

2 Likes

Yes I agree other controllers like Zipato and Fibaro have a blocky UI for creating logic. Similar to Reactor for Vera I believe although I’ve not used Reactor.

PLEG is powerful but has a learning curve.

1 Like

Reactor is powerful AND user friendly.

4 Likes

I’m sure it is. I’ve used PLEG for years and felt no need to change all my logic to Reactor.

Hopefully Vera’s new native logic engine will mean we don’t need either 3rd party plugin.

This is the real goal. When I first offered Reactor, it was because of Vera’s enduring lack of better triggering for scenes. There were other reasons, but this is not the place for an app comparison. But I was plain at that time with my feeling that it would be a good day when these products were not necessary.

I will add that I am quite pleased to find the beginnings of such functionality in Vera’s new scene model–the bones are there. I have questions about the complexity of it, but that’s not my problem directly, or yours; the onus is on them to make it work and be efficient and sufficient. But there’s a good chance that Reactor, PLEG or Rules Engine will never make it to the new firmware, simply because eZLO has finally addressed the need itself.

Edit: For clarity, I am prepared for any necessary response to the outcome.

5 Likes

I’m not sure if this is a bug or limitation of the the Edge Linux scenes engine. Anyway, I can’t add a second action to a scene, when I hit the plus it just edits the existing action.

1 Like