Serial device not showing up

I just assembled the Gateway nano device using all the parts Hek linked to in the instructions. All the files are on the Vera Lite also, but the serial device will not show up. I’ve tried all three Nano boards I got, plus I tried the FTDI USB interface board I got for the Mini Pro boards I purchased. Again, all of these are the ones Hek linked to in the instructions so unless the manufacturer changed everything, they should be compatible.

Any ideas? I get “Lua Startup Failure” on the Gateway Device in Vera…and when I go into the Serial Port configuration I get:

If you connected the USB/serial device and it’s not displayed here, reload Luup.
Not available.

I’ve rebooted the Vera multiple times…tried 3 different nanos…what else can I do?

Do I need a powered hub or something? I’ve tried the nanos both on the breadboard (including radio & button/LEDs) and off. The FTDI interface was not connected to anything.

Thanks
Ross

and I tried multiple USB cables too…

I actually just struggled with the same thing. For me the issue was I hadn’t been wiring the arduino correctly, as a result my boards were not programming properly.

For me I could tell I got a good program from the Arduino IDE when i got a message from avrdude thanking me. “avrdude done. Thank you.”

The thing that tripped me up was I didn’t know to use the digital pin numbering when connecting the radio. For example when I looked up the pinouts for a Nano there are numbers for each pin, but digital pin 2 (d2) is where you want to connect the grey wire, but in the pinout it is also listed as pin 5. that and the fact that the 3V3 pin is the 3.3 Volt out. Maybe obvious to most, but tripped me up for a bit. :slight_smile:

Also if you plug the gateway into the vera after the vera is powered on you will need to reload to get it to recognize.

That is what worked for me. Good luck

I am sorry you’re experiencing problems.

Guess you’ve already looked at the IDE Serial Monitor when plugged in to the computer? Does the nano output anything when started?

Powered USB hub should’t be necessary (if the nano is all you’ve got plugged in). But it doesn’t hurt.

Next step I would do is to ssh into Vera and see if any new device pos up when the Nano is plugged in (under /dev).

Thanks Hek…

Not seeing any serial traffic for any of the Nanos I connect to the computer…I’ll program one with a sketch that has serial print loops and see.

As far as /dev on the Vera…it never seems to change. No entry appears when I plug any of the USB devices in. This is a dump of that directory:

root@MiOS_3*******5:/dev# ls console loop7 mtd5 mtdblock2 ptmx cpu_dma_latency mem mtd5ro mtdblock3 pts full mtd0 mtd6 mtdblock4 random kmsg mtd0ro mtd6ro mtdblock5 shm log mtd1 mtd7 mtdblock6 tty loop0 mtd1ro mtd7ro mtdblock7 ttyS0 loop1 mtd2 mtd8 mtdblock8 ttyS1 loop2 mtd2ro mtd8ro mtdblock9 urandom loop3 mtd3 mtd9 network_latency usb1 loop4 mtd3ro mtd9ro network_throughput usb2 loop5 mtd4 mtdblock0 null watchdog loop6 mtd4ro mtdblock1 ppp zero

I masked the serial since that’s device specific.

Ideas?

Hey Ross,

Given that you aren’t seeing any serial communication on your computer or Vera and have tried multiple USB cables (assuming direct connect and not through a hub), it seems it could either be a problem with the sketch on the nano or the serial port settings.

Prior to flashing:

[ul][li]Ensure that the Nano is receiving power over the USB port (indicated by red LED on nano being illuminated[/li]
[li]Ensure that you select the correct Nano board under the Arduino IDE’s Tools->Board menu[/li]
[li]Ensure that you select the correct serial port under the Arduino IDE’s Tools->Serial Port menu; especially if you have more than USB to TTL serial adapters connected to your computer[/li][/ul]

Prior to monitoring the Serial Communications:

[ul][li]Confirm that the BAUD rate in the Arduino Serial Console is set to 115200[/li][/ul]

Best,
Bruce

Yeah…I had a brain fart when I connected the Gateway to the computer and used 9600 out of habit…when I connect it at 115200 I get:

0;0;4;11;Arduino startup complete.

So the Vera just does not seem to want to register the device as connected, but the Nano seems to be functional.

If I hit the “include” button wired on the gateway board the RX LED wired in will flash like it’s listening…so I do think the Nano and the sketch are fine.

Totally unsure of why the Vera just won’t recognize anything connected…

Ross,

Progress! :slight_smile:

1. Do you have a Vera Lite or a Vera 3? If you have a Vera 3, you might want to try the other USB port.
  2. My Serial port is configured as shown below… Is your configured the same?

Best,
Bruce

Vera Lite…recently downgraded it back to UI5 since thermostat control was not really usable under UI6.

You are running the latest version: 1.5.622 .

Problem is the Vera doesn’t even see a serial device to configure…but I know they are good since the computer has no issue with it.

Did you try power-cycling the Vera Lite with the Nano connected to the USB port? I had a couple of issues where the Vera didn’t see the serial port (i.e. it sort of disappeared) but power-cycling (i.e. not a soft reboot) seemed to clear up the issue. I don’t remember the exact sequence but I eventually got it to work.

Yeah…I pull the power plug for 10 seconds and let it reboot.

I’ve tried it with the Nano connected, Nano disconnected and then reconnected when it finishes booting, etc.

Kinda at a loss for what to try next. I don’t know of any way to test the Vera’s USB port.

I really don’t want to try a Factory Reset…with almost 40 devices to add in and a over 2 dozen scenes…that would suck. But I’ve spent close to $100 in parts for this project now so I need to get it to work.

Well…after I ran the commands to compare the dmesg I saw where it created the TTY device in /dev

usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using rt3883-ohci and address 21 usb 2-1: device not accepting address 21, error -62 hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1 +usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using rt3883-ohci and address 22 +ftdi_sio 2-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected +usb 2-1: Detected FT232RL +usb 2-1: Number of endpoints 2 +usb 2-1: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64 +usb 2-1: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64 +usb 2-1: Setting MaxPacketSize 64 +usb 2-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

So I was able to reload the config and then setup the serial port config…Arduino Gateway plugin now shows as started.

Who knows? ???

So…now to reconstruct some of the sensor modules and play with adding them into the system.

Thanks for the feedback Bruce and Hek.

Ross, that is great news.

Time to have fun!

Sigh…more frustration.

I can’t get any sensors to do anything. Testing the hardware on a base level works fine. Motion sensors, light sensors, Dallas temp sensor…all work in a basic sketch to output to the serial monitor.

Using the sketches Hek provided and I get nothing.

On the MotionSensor sketch it won’t even compile. It chokes on the line:

Sensor gw;

with error:

no matching function for call to 'Sensor::Sensor()'

I changed the line to

Sensor gw(9,10);

since that matched the same line in all the other sketches I looked at…and it compiles now, but like all others it will not include and shows nothing on the serial monitor.

I tried both the Arduino serial monitor and OS X terminal + screen command, at both 9600 and 115200 and there is zero info transmitted.

Ross, based upon a post from you in another thread, I believe you found the root cause to be a version mismatch and fixed it… If not, let us know and we will help you figure it out.

[quote=“rosskinard, post:12, topic:180240”]Well…after I ran the commands to compare the dmesg I saw where it created the TTY device in /dev

usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using rt3883-ohci and address 21 usb 2-1: device not accepting address 21, error -62 hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1 +usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using rt3883-ohci and address 22 +ftdi_sio 2-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected +usb 2-1: Detected FT232RL +usb 2-1: Number of endpoints 2 +usb 2-1: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64 +usb 2-1: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64 +usb 2-1: Setting MaxPacketSize 64 +usb 2-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

So I was able to reload the config and then setup the serial port config…Arduino Gateway plugin now shows as started.

Who knows? ???

So…now to reconstruct some of the sensor modules and play with adding them into the system.

Thanks for the feedback Bruce and Hek.[/quote]

Trying to install a Nano Gateway at the vacation house but am having the same issue.

Can someone help me with what Ross did here?..

If I power cycle the Vera, it’s very “hit or miss” if the serial device will actually be present when complete.

Have you got your Vera set up so you can SSH into it?

like a lot of things with vera that I cannot explain, after futzing with it for an hour, it now showed up!

wow

thanks for the attempt to help!

[quote=“Bulldoglowell, post:18, topic:180240”]like a lot of things with vera that I cannot explain, after futzing with it for an hour, it now showed up!

wow

thanks for the attempt to help![/quote]

Lol…seems to be the way of it. I just keep messing with the device, plugging it in and unplugging it until it finally shows up…never found any particular pattern that works. Just patience and time.

for me it is impatience and time.

another question…

Any reason why I do not have a Lib Version?

Will I have problems here?