Sick of Offline/Connected messages

Title says it all.
Sick of the alternating Offline/Reliably connected messages every day, usually 2 or 3 times.

I don’t buy the standard line from Vera about switching servers. If that’s the case, it’s predictable and those events can be specifically broken out and handled differently than actual connectivity problems.

Either someone has an answer, or I need to go controller shopping.
How do I fix it?
What controller should I replace it with?

I addressed this by doing something brutal: I took it offline forever

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,83627.0.html

I am now accessing my vera remotely only through VPN and manage all the various mios server functionalities with local alternatives.

There are multiple threads on this section of the forum discussing alternative controllers. There are much greater problems with the vera than the offline/online notifications from the server.
I have to say, I am at a point where I am reasonably happy with the Vera with the aim to get down to 1 luup reload/month (1st of the month at midnight) which I think I am very close to.

[quote=“w1ngz, post:1, topic:200453”]Title says it all.
Sick of the alternating Offline/Reliably connected messages every day, usually 2 or 3 times.

I don’t buy the standard line from Vera about switching servers. If that’s the case, it’s predictable and those events can be specifically broken out and handled differently than actual connectivity problems.

Either someone has an answer, or I need to go controller shopping.
How do I fix it?
What controller should I replace it with?[/quote]

Hello,

We have created a support ticket for you so our Team can take a look at the issue you are experiencing.

Hi,

You can simply disable those notifications. Go to User & Account Info → Notification Settings. Then uncheck “Vera Offline Alert (your Vera lost its Internet connection)”

You can also look to see if there are other notifications you may not be interested in.

Cheers Rene

If you could not stand the online/offline notification problem and move to a new platform, I don’ think there will be any platforms that will satisfy your needs.

I love my Vera. I believe it’s a great combination of hardware, price, and service. But it disappoints me to see a legitimate support issue like this being dismissed.

Are we saying that a user has to choose between subjecting themselves to numerous and continual erroneous offline notifications, or disabling those notifications completely? It seems in either case, the whole point of the notification itself is lost? Sure, I can turn them off completely, but I would actually like to know when my controller is legitimately unavailable.

To be clear, these notifications are in error. Either they are a result of interruptions in MiOS/Vera service itself, or are an issue with the offline detection itself. I have started monitoring my home network’s Internet connection and, despite only having one short duration of downtime, I receive these notifications multiple times a day. Even with the latest firmware, which states this is resolved with “alerts no longer being sent if the relay servers are switching”, they still persist.

I politely request that this issue be taken seriously and that attempts be made to resolve it rather than requesting users to just ignore/disable it altogether.

Thank you.

Somewhat behind the curve, chap. This (at least) claimed to have been resolved in the last FW release.

I’ve certainly not seen any for a good few weeks.

Are you still getting them?

C

OP here. I had turned off those notifications and realized I never turned them back on. Unfortunately for me this means that I really don’t know if the situation was resolved or not. I’ve just turned them back on.

Disappointed to hear that some may still be getting them, but it could be due to other causes. I’ll see what mine does in the next few days/weeks.

As I mentioned in my post, I have applied the latest firmware update that specifically says it addresses this. However, I am still receiving them.

1 Like

Sorry, missed that bit. Not to ask a stupid (or inflammatory) question but are you really sure it’s in error?
Even when it was bad, I never had several a day, except on a very unusual one.
Since the update, I’ve not been aware of one, other then when I actually knew it was off line.

How is your vera connected to your network? Is there any other monitoring you can put on it? Can you ping it and from it when it reports as down?

Cheers

C

No worries. Thank you for your response and ideas.

I’d say I have between 1 and 3 instances of it per day, so nothing extreme; it seemed consistent with other users’ reports. When the update didn’t fix it, I was surprised. And perhaps my frustrations with the developers’ prior attitudes toward the issue got the best of me.

Since you say the update fixed it for you, it’s surely worth investigating more. I’ll do like you said and set up a script to ping the controller itself instead of just to the Internet. I have my home automation stuff (Vera, Ecobee, etc.) set up on a separate VLAN from my main network, so it’s possible that it could be having an issue while my ‘test ping’ computer doesn’t.

Thanks again.

I’ll have to chime in negatively as well, since turning those notifications back on earlier today I’ve gotten 3 offline/online notification cycles. The unit is on, and with the local IP is accessible and working. On the same network I also have a cloud enabled reef aquarium controller with heartbeat detection. There are no interruptions from that device. The web and netflix work fine. Visiting https://home.getvera.com also suggests my controller is offline.

I don’t see how this can be anything other than a server side problem at Vera/Ezlo/Mios or whoever runs this stuff these days.

1 Like

If the local IP is accessible, can you ssh onto the unit and then access the internet?
Piranahphish can I suggest you run two scripts? One from a host to the internet. One from the Vera to the internet? (for that is surely what wants to be tested)
Even better you could go the whole hog and ping the mios servers themselves, although that feels like overkill…

C

This still appears to be a legitimate issue.

I have been running, as @Catman suggested, two scripts pinging a public server and a mios relay server from the VeraPlus itself, and logging any timeouts. I can confirm that connectivity to both of those has had no issues in the last few days, yet I still have numerous offline/connected notifications.

@reneboer, do I understand correctly that this issue was intended to be corrected in the latest firmware? If so, is there a place where I can file a bug report?