To use Azure for text-to-speech (TTS), you will need to register for an Azure account and set up a subscription and cognitive services. Create a subscription here: https://azure.microsoft.com/free/
TO CREATE THE COGNITIVE SERVICES RESOURCE (AFTER CREATING A SUBSCRIPTION):
- Go to: https://ms.portal.azure.com/#create/Microsoft.CognitiveServicesAllInOne
- Enter a name for the resource. “Vera Sonos TTS” for example.
- Select the subscription (you’ll probably only have one to choose from)
- Location: choose the one that appears geographically nearest to you.
- Pricing tier, choose “S0” or whatever is available/cheapest.
- Resource group: choose an existing or create a new one. Doesn’t much matter what it is if this is all you’ll be using Azure for.
- Check the “OK/agree” box and then click “Create”.
- Wait for resource to be created. When it’s finished, click “Go to resource”.
- Enter the key shown into the Azure TTS config on the Sonos plugin.
- Look at the endpoint URL; it should be
<region>.api.cognitive.microsoft.com… choose the region in the Azure TTS config for the Sonos plugin that matches the region shown.