Skip MiOS authentication when on LAN?

It appears that Homewave authenticates via MiOS regardless of whether the phone is on the same LAN as the Vera unit – is there a way to disable this to permit faster LAN connections?

For example, when I launch homewave I first get a wifi icon in the corner with a red background, then a cloud with a red background, then after 5-10 seconds, a white wifi icon and a successful connection. If I enable “Direct to Vera (no MiOS)” setting, Homewave connects to my Vera almost instantaneously when I’m on my LAN. Of course, it doesn’t work when I’m on a cellular connection or different network with this setting (unless I open up a port for Vera on my router, which I’m not about to do). So – is there a way to have Homewave try a direct connection first before defaulting to MiOS authentication?

I thought it already did this but apparently I’m mistaken…

It should always try and connect directly first, but at the same time it will connect to Mios to verify the account settings. I’ll check if the Mios login somehow interferes with the local connect

I’m happy to send you logs or anything else you need to help debug. For what it’s worth, this is a fairly recent issue (but I can’t pinpoint a start date unfortunately). I will also note that when I was troubleshooting this I removed the homewave app completely and reinstalled, and when I reloaded it I had to manually input the info for my vera (it did not find it automatically). Could that be related?

Could be related. Did anything change in your network setup (like having WiFi on a separate subnet)?

My network setup did change fairly recently, but I’m not certain if the change corresponded with the Homewave issues or not. Specifically, I swapped out my router for a Ubiquiti USG and changed my wifi access points to Ubiquiti as well. My wifi is on the same subnet as my wired devices though, and I don’t have any other issues connecting to network resources from wifi devices though. And like I said Homewave works perfectly when I enable “Direct to Vera” and I’m on my local wifi. Any ideas?

Do other people not have issues with a delay when loading the app on local wifi?

My network setup did change fairly recently, but I’m not certain if the change corresponded with the Homewave issues or not. Specifically, I swapped out my router for a Ubiquiti USG and changed my wifi access points to Ubiquiti as well. My wifi is on the same subnet as my wired devices though, and I don’t have any other issues connecting to network resources from wifi devices though. And like I said Homewave works perfectly when I enable “Direct to Vera” and I’m on my local wifi. Any ideas?

Do other people not have issues with a delay when loading the app on local wifi?[/quote]
In case this is relevant, I can vouch I have seen immense slowness with Ubiquiti devices when dealing with UDP traffic. TCP is fine, but UDP throughput is insanely bad. Again may not be relevant, just thought I would mention it.

Do other people not have issues with a delay when loading the app on local wifi?[/quote]
In case this is relevant, I can vouch I have seen immense slowness with Ubiquiti devices when dealing with UDP traffic. TCP is fine, but UDP throughput is insanely bad. Again may not be relevant, just thought I would mention it.[/quote]

In order to eliminate the wireless AP change as a variable, I turned on wifi on my airport express and tried that. I get the same behavior – red wifi icon, followed by red cloud icon, followed by the white wifi icon when it connects. The connection takes anywhere from ~2-5 seconds. This is the same behavior I am seeing when connected to my Unifi APs. Enabling “direct to vera” results in a near instantaneous connection, with the wifi icon briefly flashing red and then turning white (No cloud icon shows up, which I assume is the mios login delay).

That doesn’t give me much of a clue. It’s not the Ubiquiti gear I should think, I’ve got a USG and APs from them and they work just fine (in every respect including Vera)

Did you fill in the Mios credentials correctly? If these are off, it might mess with the connection process.

[quote=“intveltr, post:8, topic:199055”]That doesn’t give me much of a clue. It’s not the Ubiquiti gear I should think, I’ve got a USG and APs from them and they work just fine (in every respect including Vera)

Did you fill in the Mios credentials correctly? If these are off, it might mess with the connection process.[/quote]

The Mios credentials must be correct because I can use Homewave when I’m not on my lan.

Does the app normally cycle from from a red wifi icon, to a red cloud icon, back to a white wifi icon when connecting from the local wifi? That’s what it does for me, but it seems like it should just go from the red wifi icon (briefly) straight to the white wifi icon (like it does when “Direct to Vera” is checked). The fact that when I uninstalled and reinstalled the app it couldn’t automatically find my Vera makes me suspicious that the two are related. Is there some setting on the Vera that could be messing with this (Note: “Secure my Vera” is not selected)? Is there some configuration setting of the app that does not get wiped when the app is uninstalled and reinstalled?

The app sometimes cycles through those phases but it should be fairly fast (less than 5 seoncds). I haven’t noticed it being slower since I use OpenLuup (and connect to that), but if I try and connect to Vera it does seem a bit on the slow side. It also doesn’t pick up the serial number like it should, meaning the discovery process could be broken. I’ll have to run this through the debugger

Thanks for looking into it!

As an aside, I just setup push alerts to Homewave… I didn’t know what I was missing all this time - awesome.