Sonos 2.0 coming this weekend/next week!

This weekend I will release Sonos 2.0 to the Vera App Markplace for Vera Luup systems. If all goes accordining to plan, it will be approved and available sometime Monday. The openLuup version is still under development/test at this time.

The 2.0 version of the plugin will attempt (emphasize attempt) to do in-place upgrades of existing devices from prior versions, to avoid changing device numbers that would break scenes, Lua, Reactor, etc. This is as close to rocket science as anything I’ve ever approached in Luup, and I’m sure breaks a lot of rules. No guarantees it will work properly for everyone. But I have high hopes (that and a few dollars will buy you a cup of coffee in most cities).

The release notes are here: CHANGELOG

PLEASE NOTE: This version does not preserve settings, such as TTS configuration, when upgrading from 1.x to 2.0. Users coming from 1.x will need to redo their settings.

If you have “Auto Update” on for the Sonos plugin and you are OK with that update occurring automatically, there is nothing more for you to do, and you may stop reading here. We’ll see you on the other side.

If you wish to be in control of the update, you can turn “Auto Update” off and, hopefully, Vera will honor that and not update until you decide. Please note, however, that at some future date, the rather complex code used to upgrade from 1.x to 2.0 will be removed, so you may lose the upgrade path if you wait too long.

If you wish to do the upgrade now so it doesn’t happen unsupervised, you can force the upgrade manually any time before Monday. This is recommended for all users on any pre-release 2.0 version.

ONLY DO THIS IF YOU WANT TO MANUALLY UPGRADE You do NOT need to uninstall any current version of the plugin (and in fact, doing say may also delete your Sonos devices and require that they be re-created with new device numbers, which is what we’re hoping to avoid).

1. Back up your Vera system (I always recommended backing up the ZWave network and including it in the backup as well);
  2. Request the following URL using the local IP of your Vera system:
http://your-vera-ip/port_3480//data_request?id=action&action=CreatePlugin&PluginNum=4226&Version=40082&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1
  1. WAIT. Do not touch your Vera at all for at least 10 minutes. The upgrade process will reload Luup many times as device changes and upgrades must be performed incrementally. Be patient and do not interrupt the process.

2. After a ten minutes, hard refresh your browser. This is an important step. Your Vera and UI7 will get out of sync during this process, and this is how you get them back in sync.

3. If the system is still working on the upgrade, you will see messages to that effect either in the zone device dashboard cards or that of the master device. If it doesn’t look finished, repeat step 4 (hard refresh).

The upgrade is complete when the Sonos master device displays the number of Sonos zones, and each zone device shows a player icon, and possibly the name of the track at the head of any queue or playlist then in effect.

4 Likes

Woot! Super excited to try this out.
So question… do we need the UPnP Event Proxy? Is there a benefit to using it/not using it? I know in the past it was a problem if you didn’t have it installed.

To my understanding it provides for a quicker status update for your sonos speakers. For example if you group a device through the Sonos app that change will be reflected quicker in the Sonos Vera plugin.

1 Like

Thanks for bringing back to life the Sonos plugin. I was able to install the new 2.0 plugin last night from the Appstore. All looks good with the exception of a ghost device/zone that has been created. I believe it is related to the previous plugin and an old configuration I had. The old devices and the previous plugin were deleted 2 months ago, so prior to yesterday’s install. Previously, I had two Play 1 devices created and up on the Vera. But one was paired with a Beam as a satellite speaker that was not set up in Vera and never used this device.

The ghost device, under Variables, is associated with a “Sonos IP” that I had set to be static many years ago, but is no longer the address for any of my Sonos speakers. It currently displays as being offline - the default name is 4D494342-5342-5645-0053-000002FB4A76.

My question is can I simply delete the ghost device as everything appears to be in order. I am about to configure my Azure account for TTS but wanted to wait until confirmation.

I’m 101% (+/- 2%) certain that I had one or more similarly named oddball devices after the update, which I simply deleted and went on with my day, sans consequence.

Since that was over 8 weeks ago, memory is fading, but I believe I’m giving you the correct guidance here. Go ahead and delete.

Thanks for the quick response - greatly appreciated. I will go ahead and delete.

1 Like

Yes, I would just delete it and see if it sticks. If it does not, go into Sonos System master device, Advanced > Variables, and PM me the contents of the zoneInfo state variable.

1 Like

That worked and the master device is also displaying the correct number of zones now. Thanks again.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Which players is the group coordinator?

A post was split to a new topic: Configure Mary TTS