SQ Remote HD: "The MiOS unit MIOS-XXXXX returned no data"

Hi,

Got SQ Remote HD from AppStore today. Absolutely no luck using it for my Vera 2 with UI5 version 1.5.255 yet.

Problem is that it every now and then shows as “connected” both under configuration and in main screen, but SQ Remote can’t find any devices or scenes on it, so it’s pretty useless.

When trying to configure it under “MiOS Systems and Devices”, I can log into the “myMiOS service settings”, and it will find the Vera in my account. I can then select it, and it will show up as connected under “Edit MiOS Unit Settings”. But there are nothing to Assign commands to (no devices or scenes) when I try to configure the iPad SQ Remote UI.

If I try to “Refresh Data” under “Edit MiOS Unit Settings”, I get the error message “The MiOS Unit MiOS-xxxxx returned no data. Make sure that the unit is powered on, connected to the network, and you can connect through cp.mios.com
All of the above is true.
It will now change status to “Not Connected”.

The Vera is remote, I don’t have physical access to it until next weekend.
There are no firewalls restricting me, I am running from my own LAN. Also tried 3G, same result.
Tried the public IP adress of the Vera instead of remote access, same result (port 49451 forwarded to Vera in remote router).
Tried “Use Legacy FindVera.com”.
Tried connecting it running VPN, which gave my iPad a local IP on the same LAN as Vera. No difference.

Access from iPad Safari to Vera IP on port 49451 is OK, both using public IP and local IP via VPN. That is, the info I get tells me nothing, see attached image.

I havn’t installed any plugins for SQ Blaster HD, can’t find any information that tells me I should…
Tried leaving a support ticket at SquareConnect, but didn’t even receive the receipt e-mail from them.

Any suggestions?

Tried it physically on the same LAN as Vera now, no change. I just can’t get any information from Vera into SQ Remote HD.
Square Connect never responded to my ticket either. Getting a bit upset now… :cry:

The SQ team have been pretty busy with CES until today, so I’d imagine they’ll be able to help next week! They are normally very responsive with this type of thing.

Are you still local to your Vera?

Ok, let’s hope they can look into it soon.
Yes, I’m local right now, but mostly in the weekends only. I placed it in my mountain place, but are looking into getting Vera/SQ to control my home too. I do have VPN to the remote place, so it’s pretty much like being local.

@Thorden,

Had some issues with getting SQR to work as well; don’t remember the exact failure message. Also was remote at the time, and had just added another Vera, so I thought those maybe were contributors. Still had issues when local. Can’t give you an exact recipe, but I played with deleting Vera(s) from SQR, killing and restarting the app, and the [tt]Always Connect Using Remote Access[/tt] and [tt]MiOS Discovery[/tt] settings.

Got it to work and it has been working since. Just yesterday disabled the [tt]Always Connect Using Remote Access[/tt] setting and it still working. [tt]MiOS Discovery[/tt] is enabled.

So I didn’t mess with the Vera-side of things, only SQR.

@Thorden,

Really sorry we missed your support ticket. No excuses, we will get onto it as soon as we can.

Mat

@Thorden,

I have the same issue. Sq Connect response to my support ticket was that this is a MCV issue and they are aware of the problem. They are under the impression that MCV now has a fix however, MCV has not even acknowledged my support ticket so I for one cannot verify what SQ Connect had indicated. This in another one of those items we can add to list of everything we love about Vera.

@krfar,

We are seeing an increase in issues with UI5 and SQRemote giving incomplete or blank data refreshes. We are trying to track and reproduce. A lot of people seem to resolve the issue by increasing the timeout in the SQRemote setup area for that Vera unit.

It is important to get the version UI 5 that is eitehr the very latest Beta or the official released version… there were a few beta versions of UI5 that had a small inconsistency in the data returned that SQRemote was very sensitive to (and extra comma).

Mat

Hi Mat,

How do one actually know what is the latest beta, or the released version? I find the information about this to be very well hidden and quite inconsistent.
I did the UI5 upgrade when I found the 1.5.255 “by accident”, which I understood was the released version. But then my reseller told me this was a beta from MiOS, and not the official release from MCV (I still believe this is not true, but I really don’t know). As if anyone should be able to tell if there is a difference between what MCV and MiOS says or does, it all seems to be the same to me. And how should I know if it was a beta or not, information is nowhere to be found!

There are no information or announcements about this on either web site, the only reference I can find is well hidden in the MCV wiki here: [url=http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Release_Notes]http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Release_Notes[/url]
If 1.5.255 isn’t the official, released version, they sure fooled me…

My UI5 (Setup/Firmware) tells me I am on the latest version.

Frankly, what really frustrates me most about MCV/MiOS is the lack of official information and how the information is provided. It seems like everything is a secret you really need to search hard for, and the only reliable source of information seems to be this forum and all the good people here. That is perfectly OK if Vera was a community project (is it?), but there is nothing on the MCV web or in their marketing that suggests so.

My suggestion (should be basic):
When there is a new beta, announce it, loud! Make people sign up for it, make people test it and keep people informed about the progress.
When there is a new release, announce it even louder. Make sure people know how to make use of it and how to install it!

I am a heavy user of Synology products, been for years. Comparison is not far off, what they do is basicly creating a great and feature rich OS and GUI for Linux based NAS devices. MCV/MIoS should take a look at how they do it, and how they provide information. It’s a completely different level, very professional. They just announced a new beta, it’s all over their web site with loads of good information. [url=http://www.synology.com/index.php?lang=default]Synology Inc.

@Thorden,

Preaching to the converted here. Although your feedback is a welcome reminder to us at Square Connect to make sure we don’t fall into the same trap.

I do have sympathy for the MCV guys, as they try to do a great deal with a limited team… That said, I feel your frustration.

I can only talk to what we try and do at at Square Connect - As our involvement with MiOS is limited to being a third party interface and are focused on our own software and product development, we often only hear about issues with specific Beta or released versions when MiOS stops working with SQRemote and someone tells us. We try to stay on top of this forum, and we will load a specific firmware onto one of our vera’s if we have to (grin)… often we can get log files or userdata files from whoever first reports an issue to us and can track that down and either communicate to MCV or do a fix on our product…

Regarding giving feedback to MCV on improving the communication of Beta and release… I’d suggest a personal email to lew or Aaron at micasaverde, I doubt they read this forum.

SquareConnectMat

Well I’ve just bought SQ Remote after using iVera (Free) successfully for a while (which just seems to work), and I’m having this problem as well. Everything is up to date.

I’ve just increased both timeouts in the app to 60 seconds, but that doesn’t seem to be helping.

Not feeling great about the $10 purchase so far…