Stability. And my current configuration

I moved all my automation to OpenHab back in December.

OpenHab has been rock solid. No flakiness. No missed events. No need to restart periodically. It just keeps on working.

At this point, my Vera handles all the z-wave communication. I have a restart scheduled every night.

OpenHab handles the automation.

My UI is mainly through the HomeWave iPhone app. And a couple of MiniMotes. Occasionally I’ll use the Vera app, but only generally for add/remove/configure type of operations. I do not use the OpenHab UI, except when I’m testing stuff.

I can certainly see why OpenHab wouldn’t be for everyone. But I’m a very competent programmer and doing the rules was pretty much a breeze. Even when dealing with code locks, modeling some rules as state machines, etc.

I use multiple instances of the multi-switch plugin to manually trigger rules (like setting my HVAC to “away mode”) and to communicate state back from OpenHab in order to display information on the client apps. I also use the multistring plugin for the same purpose.

I trigger alerts calling the HomeWave iPhone plugin from OpenHab rules. And/or send Pushover notifications directly from OpenHab.

I just thought I’d share my configuration and my experience with the Vera and OpenHab combination. Hope it was helpful or at least informative.

Doug

Thanks Doug!

The openHAB-Vera Hybrid seems to be a common case, esp using Vera for Z-Wave (where it’s fairly decent). If there are any common Rule snippets you found yourself using, feel free to augment the MiOS Examples page:

https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/MiOS-Binding-Example

I’m sure there are other users that’ll benefit from your samples.

[quote=“guessed, post:2, topic:191543”] If there are any common Rule snippets you found yourself using, feel free to augment the MiOS Examples page:

https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/MiOS-Binding-Example

I’m sure there are other users that’ll benefit from your samples.[/quote]

Good idea. I’ve got a few interesting things - like the way I use multistring and multiswitch to communicate back and forth. I’ll try to find some time to put some things up.

Doug

I haven’t forgotten about getting the example up.

I just decided to clean things up a bit…

Which led to me completely refactoring the code I wanted to use as an example…

Which led to me adding a more features…

Anyway, I think I’m almost done. So I might have something up this week.

Doug

[quote=“torpex77, post:4, topic:191543”]I haven’t forgotten about getting the example up.

I just decided to clean things up a bit…

Which led to me completely refactoring the code I wanted to use as an example…

Which led to me adding a more features…

Anyway, I think I’m almost done. So I might have something up this week.[/quote]

How’dya end up with the refactoring?

Done. Been running now for a week or so without issue. I was out of town last couple of weekends, so no time to write it up.

But I should have some time now.

Basically, the example I’m going to post uses some OpenHab String items to centralize log message handling across all my rules. The messages have levels - DEBUG, INFO, WARN, ALERT. The logging level is also in an OpenHab String item. I use a multi-switch device on my Vera to allow me to change the logging level from UI7, my phone, etc. And I also use a two multi-string devices to display the messages on my Vera.

It’s a fairly complex example. But I do think it’s pretty neat and shows two-way communication between OpenHab and MiOS.

Doug

[quote=“torpex77, post:6, topic:191543”]Done. Been running now for a week or so without issue. I was out of town last couple of weekends, so no time to write it up.

Basically, the example I’m going to post uses some OpenHab String items to centralize log message handling across all my rules. The messages have levels - DEBUG, INFO, WARN, ALERT. The logging level is also in an OpenHab String item. I use a multi-switch device on my Vera to allow me to change the logging level from UI7, my phone, etc. And I also use a two multi-string devices to display the messages on my Vera.

It’s a fairly complex example. But I do think it’s pretty neat and shows two-way communication between OpenHab and MiOS.

Doug[/quote]

Were you able to document your success so others may follow?

[quote=“Learic, post:7, topic:191543”][quote=“torpex77, post:6, topic:191543”]Done. Been running now for a week or so without issue. I was out of town last couple of weekends, so no time to write it up.

Doug[/quote]

Were you able to document your success so others may follow?[/quote]

My items, rules, etc for my messaging/logging are here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,37555.0.html

Other than that, I basically followed the standard configuration and setup for OpenHab and the MIOS binding. I did do some customization of the generated items, but mainly deleting settings I didn’t, renaming things, etc.

Lately I’m been playing around with writing rules in Groovy. I like that a lot better than xtend. But right now the future for groovy/javascript/python rules in OpenHab 2.0 is a little murky. I’m not sure how much time I want to put into that.

Doug