Statistic Data from Vera

I have been able to logon to Vera with SSH and created the directory. A few problems to connect (mount) my NAS, but I probably will succeed pretty soon (to morrow?)
Thanks a lot for good help so far @Catman and @akbooer ! :handshake::+1:

1 Like

Good to hear!

C

I have just installed DataYours. I’m a bit of a noob with regard to file systems on the Vera. I have a USB SSD installed and it is being used for logging. Enabling USB logging has created a small partition on the SSD (~500Mb) mounted to /tmp/log/cmh. I’d like to use the rest of the SSD for data storage. What is the most appropriate place to mount the rest of the SSD (/dev/sda2) for use as storage for the Whisper db?

I think you can mount it wherever you like, maybe under /storage

But personally I’d extroot it first then you won’t have that consideration

C

Yes, I planned to do extroot but my understanding is that the extroot scripts do not yet work properly on the 7.30 firmware.

The 7.30 firmware changed a lot of things in the way it handles partitions from the kernel and broke the extroot capability. I offered a temporary workaround script in the extroot thread to do something very similar by mounting your SSD on the /etc/ folder but is not a true extroot. This should enable you to have your plugins and user data on the SSD.

Rafale are you (still?) planning an Extroot that will work when 7.30 is ready?

Cheers

C

The blocker is in the kernel @edward told me he was going to look into it. Without a kernel change, I don’t think it will be possible so it won’t be until 7.31 I am afraid. Alternatively, I have read the upgrade script for the vera firmware and one workaround for people who are on 7.29, would be to only upgrade the firmware squashfs image without upgrading the kernel and maintain the ability to extroot. I was going to do this but because I am not able to test it (the kernel upgrade is not reversible) I stopped myself. I don’t want to provide untested code…

1 Like

OK that all makes sense.

So for those of us on extroot, I recall you posted suggestion for the upgrade (eventually)
Backup
Remove SSD
Upgrade
Restore?
Was it something along those lines, or was there a link for you original approach?
Just prepping…

Cheers

C

It’s the basic idea I posted on the extroot thread. You are just missing a few reboots.
The upgrade script I was going to write would have involved running from extroot to download the image, replace the image on the vera and then reboot from the onboard drive and repeat the extroot process. Except from the storage distribution improvements, all of the improvements from the firmware update come from the mios firmware image. Not from the kernel. For an extrooted system, this storage improvement is moot.

Thanks, as ever. I went back to the original thread.

No doubt I’ll bug you some more when 7.30 is ready.

Cheers

C