Status (Reset/Tripped) & Latching

How does latching affect the status (ie, reset versus tripped). I have a sensor which evaluates true, and perform the correct action, also when it evaluates false. However, I have it latching (and resetting as appropriate via an action on the parent), and notice that the status shows tripped.

Basically, checking to see if its night time and if key sensors are not tripped, then I set the reactor sensor to true for a night mode setting to change the thermostat temp. I then latch until movement is detected for a short while, to reset this back to a false condition. So it then latches false, in theory until it is night time again. However, the reactor sensor still shows as tripped (I was expecting non tripped for false). So just trying to understand this.

As an update, tried to see what other status I can monitor for this reactor sensor. Interestingly enough, Tripped = 1, Status = 1, but the Message = Not tripped. This makes no sense.

This (making no sense) is true of so many things. I have sirens that report ‘armed tripped’

Why? They don’t make any sound!

C

This ambiguity is much like when you examine a device’s Advanced > Parameters & Variables and always see the old values, whereas if you click Edit next to any of them, you’re presented with the current value!

Can really throw a wrench into troubleshooting and scripting if you are unaware of the discrepancy!! Not sure if this applies to the OP.

1 Like

Latching and the overall tripped state of the ReactorSensor are different concepts, and will only be related if your logic connects them. The tripped state of a ReactorSensor is driven by the status of the “root” group. If the root group is true, the RS will be tripped; otherwise (root is false), it is untripped.