Stringify Shutting Down

I received an email today from Stringify that they are pulling their apps immediately and will shut down servers for existing users in June.
Too bad, I had hoped Vera would work with them eventually. Guess this proves we need to avoid cloud dependency.

0 Likes

Amen to this. I am gradually pulling out every bit of cloud I can from my setup so to mall these google home/ifttt are all utter nonsense to integrate given how little value they provide when almost everything can be done locally.

0 Likes

Many people are using Sonoff, which is totally cloud dependant, but I think it might have some reliability due to its integration with AWS. Sonoff has the ability to do many tasks that normal Z-Wave devices can do but at a fraction of the cost. Do you think Sonoff is worth any investment? I think the ESP286 works the same way.

0 Likes

I own a couple of these devices which I use as backup to the vera. If the vera goes down, that’s how I power cycle it. Since it is independant from the vera I can make it work. The Sonoff uses the ESP chip which is a very cheap wifi setup. It isn’t 100% cloud. It is wifi with a local control from your mobile app but it does indeed prefer cloud. Given how I am using them, I think you can imagine that integrating it into the vera is the last thing I want to do. Getting zwave ones, in spite of their slightly higher cost (got some for ~$20) adds the advantage of them being zwave network repeaters making the mesh more reliable especially for my battery operated devices so for me it is a no brainer.

0 Likes