Sunricher RGBW Controller and Wall Control

Hi, I decided to start a new topic for this to provide some feedback on the Sunricher RGBW Tape Controller and Wall mounted control unit.
After a discussion with the factory they advised that their RGBW units had been tried with Vera and had proved successful. I bought one tape controller and 1 wall controller from them which have now arrived and I can start to provide some feedback.

Items purchased:
SR-ZV9103FA-RGBW Tape controller
SR-ZV9003T-RGBW-EU4 Wall mounted control unit

See the Intelligent Dimmable LED Driver, Controller, Dimmer For Smart Home & Building website for full details and pictures.

I am including and testing each item in turn and will then do a YouTube video to show them in action.

Step 1:

SR-ZV9103FA-RGBW Tape controller

Having connected the controller up to a DC supply and linked in a short run of RGBW tape I powered up. The LED’s commenced a slow pulsing in line with the manual to show awaiting including.
I instigated an include of a generic z-wave device in Vera and inclusion finished quickly and the device appeared.
Unfortunately it only included originally as a standard dimmer device with an on/off and slider control but no colour control.

Fortunately I already have a Fibaro RGBW controller and after investigation I realised that what was needed was to change from Dimmer type 1 to Dimmable RGBLight 2

In device advanced parameters change
device_type to urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:DimmableRGBLight:2
device_file to D_DimmableRGBLight2.xml
device_json to D_DimmableRGBLight2.json

After these changes I now have a device as Sunricher RGBW Controller.jpg below
This device works to control the output from the controller but is not the easiest thing in the world to get the desired output.

I then decided to try Vosmonts superb RGBW controller App with this device.
I added a new instance of the app to get the new device, used the Generic Z-Wave Colour Device for Device Type and found my Sunricher device in the Controlled Device Box.

This works great and my only SLIGHT quibble here is that this includes a slider for warm white as well as normal white and this slider does nothing. Easily ignored of course and you have to remember the extra digits for colour codes in scenes.
As a generic device it has no control for the built in effects but perhaps Vosmont can do a Sunricher specific type later on to include these.
See below for shots of the App connected to the Sunricher.

Nearly finished step 2 then my pc crashed >:( . Time to start again.

Step 2:

[font=verdana]SR-ZV9003T-RGBW-EU4 Wall mounted control unit[/font]

First thing to note is that the manual mentions pushing buttons but this is a touch panel and nothing ‘moves’.
Second thing to note is that it only needs Live and Neutral so if replacing a 2 wire light switch you can re-purpose the switched live to a neutral (get assistance if you don’t know how).

Inclusion was simple after I found that, in my case at least, the include button did not do anything and I had to hold the center button until the LED flashed. (It did however work as exclude)
You end up with a new scene controller device but unfortunately I also got 4 ghost devices, see below (hints on removal please? ??? ). In the device you have to configure your associations. Group 1 back to Vera and groups 2 to 5 as zones 1 to 4. I only have one tape controller so far so I used group 4 for zone 3, see below.

Testing Wall switch to tape controller:

Quick press on buttons 1 to 4 select the zone that the other buttons will act on (zone select).
Long press on buttons 1 to 4 turn on/off that zone to its previous colour and brightness.
The manual states that a quick press on the centre button turns on/off all zones but this is not correct. It only turns on/off the ‘selected zone’.
The manual also states that a long press on the centre button changes brightness but this also is not correct.
The brightness is actually controlled by the sun symbol to the left of centre. A long press here will increase and decrease brightness. The manual talks about saving and recalling scenes but this appears to be wrong.
The bottom RGBW buttons are used to act on the selected zone. A quick press turns on/off that colour. A long press changes the brightness of that colour. One thing to note here is that if you turn off all colours here then the zone on/off will turn it on at zero brightness. A little strange.
The effects button is not very impressive as it seems to ignore the white LED’s and only affects the coloured as flashing or still and combinations of colours/single colour. I cannot see me finding much use for this but others may find it useful. Holding down the button seems to affect only the flashing speed.

Overall:

A good addition to the available range of Z-Wave devices. It meets my need for the ability to have RGBW room lighting without the need to reach for a phone or tablet to turn them on and off. With a little bit of training I believe it may pass the WAF.
If you need a wall switch to turn your lights on/off and you want variable colour then you want one of these. The 4 zones are great to allow individual control over 4 groups of lighting.

My biggest disappointment is that the all on/off centre button does not do as advertised. I would like to be able to walk into the room and have a single press to bring all the lights on regardless of which zone is ‘selected’ and have a minimum brightness allocated (via a variable perhaps) to ensure you can always get instant light.

Just for interest, I have just associated my Fibaro RGBW controller with the wall switch and it works for that too. Individual channel control, overall brightness and on/off.
Obviously not for the effects though.

Recorded a video today but it will not upload onto YouTube. I have given that up as a bad job. I can send it to anyone interested enough.

@Slartibartfast, thanks for the info on these Sunricher products.
Where did you order/buy these devices?

I actually purchased them direct from Sunricher but I believe they have a European distributor.

You could email jason@sunricher.com to get details of the distributor.

Might be worth hanging on to see if they consider making changes to the all on/off button on the wall switch.

Link to youtube video. Sorry for the poor quality. The conversion didn’t help and I now see that the LED colours didn’t come through very well.

I watched the video. Very nicely done! A nice, clear presentation.

Something that might not be entirely clear in the video, at least to those unfamiliar with how these devices work, is that the colo(u)r wheel wall controller does not wire directly to the 12v LED strip controller. The wall controller “connects” and controls the strip controller wirelessly, via Z-Wave. In the video, they appear that they might be wired together. In reality, they are two entirely separate devices with no shared physical connection.

@Z-Waver,

1. Thanks for the compliment but the camera was too close to the LED’s so you lost colours.
  2. Good pickup regarding the cabling.

Just for info, there are actually 20 effects available on the controller, I am asking Vosmont to try to include this device in his RGBW app.
I have also asked the manufacturer for info on stockists.

Feedback from Vera support:

The ‘ghost devices’ are installed by Vera and cannot be deleted. The only solution is to ‘hide’ them.

The incorrect installation of the tape receiver will need a specific device file creating which needs them to work with Sunricher. I have passed this information to Sunricher but Vera support advised that ‘this may take some time’ ::slight_smile:

Sunricher have accepted my comments regarding how the wall plate operates and have modified the manual but at last view on their website it was still the incorrect one. Hopefully they will update the site soon.

Edit- website version of the manual has been updated

Very nice presentation. It’s difficult to make any presentation absolutely clear but you did a great job. I think seeing how the LEDs respond to the commands is extremely useful for folks to get a “feel” for what to expect.

I looked through the manual for the US version and could not tell if the control keypad can talk directly to the dimming unit or do all commands go through Vera. Have you any insight into association function?

Again, thanks.

JohnRob

I see no reason why the US version would be different to the EU version. All commands from the wall controller go direct to the receiver and not via Vera. You need Vera to set up the associations but after that you could turn her off and it will still work.
The stand alone functionality was what interested me whilst also being able to program lighting via scenes as well. I saw it as the best of both worlds.
I like that it can also control dimmable and non dimmable z-wave lights of other manufacturers as well.
Feel free to request any tests you might want tried.

Just to advise, Vosmont has modified his excellent RGBW Controller plug in to include this Sunricher controller. It includes all 20 animations and controls.
Included in V1.43 onwards.

Just a bit of additional information for anyone who may need scenes to be runtriggered by the RGBW tape controller condition.

As the wall controller triggers the tape controller via association and not via Vera it is necessary for Vera to update her knowledge of the state of the tape controller quickly so that manual operation of the wall switch still triggers the scene.

I set up a quick test scene such that turning on the tape controller turned on another light and turning off turned off the light.
I am pleased to report that when operating via the wall switch the scene ran and the light followed the tape controller with approx 1 second.

I then looked at raising and lowering the brightness via the wall switch and would say that the slider in the interface also followed quickly, 1-2 seconds approx.

So far I have no fears in using scenes triggered this way.

How quickly Vera will update if you have multiple tape controllers being operated simultaneously remains to be seen.

[quote=“Slartibartfast, post:7, topic:195683”]I actually purchased them direct from Sunricher but I believe they have a European distributor.

Might be worth hanging on to see if they consider making changes to the all on/off button on the wall switch.[/quote]

What was the cost for the RGBW tape controller? I didn’t see it at first or second glance on their website.

[quote=“cubs2b23, post:16, topic:195683”][quote=“Slartibartfast, post:7, topic:195683”]I actually purchased them direct from Sunricher but I believe they have a European distributor.

Might be worth hanging on to see if they consider making changes to the all on/off button on the wall switch.[/quote]

What was the cost for the RGBW tape controller? I didn’t see it at first or second glance on their website.[/quote]
I have just checked all my old e-mails etc. but unfortunately I must have deleted the ones with the original quote and I can’t actually remember. I suggest email jason as above to ask as he quoted to me originally. Please chase him for an EU supplier too as that’s one thing he has omitted to tell me.
We need a stockist as buying direct also incurs carriage and import duty.

I’ve got a handfull of these (mostly the plain touch panels, but also one RGB) and they work great so fare. Though; from the documentation on them it looks to me like it should be possible to assign scenes to the S1, S2, S3, S4 buttons but I am struggeling a bit with that. Anyone managed to assign a scene created in the Vera to these buttons?

Thanks Slartibartfast, great work here.

Cheers.

Hi I’m a newbee to this forum but was interested to see Slartibartfast’s posts and excellent video re this wall controller. I also have a Fibaro RGBW controller for my LED strips and have just ordered the Sunricher wall controller so would be very interested to know how you associated the two?

I also have some other LED lights on a Fibaro Dimmer 2 and would love to be able to control both via the Sunricher wall controller. (I’d only need on/off and brightness for this). Do you think that it would be possible to associate the Fibaro RGBW controller with button 1, say, on the wall plate and the Fibaro Dimmer 2 with button 2 and if so how. I’d need the Network ID’s for button 1 and button 2 I think.

Would be really grateful for any pointers.

Cheers