Support for LimitlessLED Wifi Bridge v6 and new RGBW/WW/CW

Hi RexBecket, we just released the new LimitlessLED wifi bridge v6, what would it take to get it supported in the existing plugin? http://www.limitlessled.com/product-category/limitlessled-smart-light-bulbs/

There are new RGBW/WW/CW MR16 bulbs and new GU10 bulbs too. I did a bit of a comparison for you.

RGBW/WW/CW RGBW Cool White RGBW Warm White Available in 2017 YES LOTS YES (Limited) YES (Limited) More Apps Coming 2017 YES LOTS YES (Limited) YES (Limited) Warm White YES NO YES Cool White YES YES NO Cool White / Warm White adjustable YES NO NO Full RGB Colours YES YES YES RGB + White Saturation adjustable YES NO NO Wifi Bridge Available V6 V5/V6 V5/V6 Handheld Remote Control YES RGBW RGBW 36,000 colors YES NO NO Adjustable Brightness YES YES YES Full White Mode YES YES YES Press and Hold Night Mode YES YES YES Disco Mode YES YES YES

Cheers,
Hamish.

Hi Hamish,

I would need details of the API and access to a V6 Bridge and each of the lamps.

Rex

Awesome. I will send you both. PM me your details.

Cheers.
Hamish.

I would also like some help in making the v6 work in a little application iā€™m making.
Rex, i canā€™t find Hamish. Would you be kind enough to pass info of the api to me?
Thanks!

Hi guys, was wondering if there was any progress on this please?
Would love to get the new v6 RGBW/WW/CW lamps going through Vera.

+1 from me as wellā€¦ I thought about getting an older bridge for the short term, but the current V6/iBox2 seems rock solid so am reluctant to changeā€¦

Well, under the ā€˜how hard could it beā€™ I did some investigation and initially it appeared that all you have to do is edit I_MiLightRGBW.xml (vera/apps/develop apps/luup files) to get the thing to work. I then checked out the API for V6 and started to look at the difference between it and V5. Thatā€™s when I stopped. They appear to be significantly different beasts. There are possible work arounds - for example someone has written a plugin for domoticz so ā€˜allā€™ you need to do is setup a domoticz controller (eg using a raspberry pi) then you can setup ha-bridge to send commands to the MiLight bridge via that (eg http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=73&topicid=113569&page_no=51). You could in theory then use Vera to send a command via ha-bridge that would in turn use domoticz to relay the command to the MiLight bridge. Very ugly though.

I might for now give up on hoping that V6 will be supported in the near future, and instead hunt around for an older bridge. Sigh.

@ninkasi, Iā€™m just as frustrated about this as you!
One of the biggest issues for me is that Iā€™ve spent a huge amount of money on RGBW/WW/CW bulbs that, if I understand correctly, arenā€™t fully supported on earlier bridge versions.
So Iā€™m stuck with the new and improved bulbs - on a v6 controller that canā€™t be fully controlled by Vera.

Iā€™d really like to see LimitlessLED:

• be more proactive in driving the Vera plugin updates (obviously the open source community is saying itā€™s too hard or too much effort)
  • offer their own iOS app in an iPad version (so I can use it in landscape format on my iPad control pad on the wallā€¦ thatā€™s what home automation is all about)

RexBecket was good enough to develop the original plugin but has not been able to get the update through so far (and heā€™s under no obligation to do soā€¦ itā€™s in his own time and I really appreciate his past efforts)

I think this is where LimitlessLED need to recognise that Philips Hue is leaving them for dead in so far as actively encouraging easy integration into the major Home Controllers on the market.

Come on LimitlessLED - rise to the challenge!

+1 from me as wellā€¦just invested in new controller and bulbsā€¦without checking the plugin was compatible.

Is it possible to downgrade the firmware version to make the new controllers Ibox working with the API available in Veraā€¦ and were we could find the firmware Software VersionV1.0.04a-JCY-1ā€¦ if it is possibleā€¦?

Have read elsewhere that the ibox and ibox2 cannot be downgraded.

I just hope we can get a new API one dayā€¦ so we can continue with MILIGHT or LimitlessLedā€¦ because now we canā€™t get anything else then Ibox1 & 2ā€¦

Figured I should post about what Iā€™m working on at the moment. Iā€™ve been able to dig up some LUA code from other HA controller communities for working with MiLight/LimitlessLED. Thus far, I have working LUA code which allows me to command zones on and off. Iā€™ll post what Iā€™ve been able to assemble as my ā€˜test.luaā€™ script, in the hope that it may help anyone else interested.

I would like to point out, while the new API is a significant change, it is a pretty ā€˜normalā€™ API structure (based on my work experience anyway). The trickiest piece has been dealing with the need for fetching the WifiBridgeSessionID values and then generating a checksum byte. Much of the difficulty for me is likely due to my lack of LUA experience, as this is the first time Iā€™ve ever touched LUA. I wonā€™t take all of the credit on getting this together because Iā€™ve basically been modifying and cobbling together example from other communities.

Please let me know what you think. Iā€™m currently working to modify the plugin created by RexBeckett to work with the new API. In an ideal world, Iā€™ll be able to get a modified version to him, which he can cleanup/adjust, etc. and make available.

~Jon

Iā€™am looking forward to see the resultsā€¦ Happy that somebody is working on itā€¦ ;D :smiley: :smiley:

*Minor edit/typo correction - CS/Checksum should have been ā€œSNā€ and ā€œSequence Numberā€

I am making some progress but Iā€™ve run into an issue where Iā€™m able to send control commands successfully from my Gentoo box but Iā€™m getting a bad response from the wifi bridge when sending from the Vera. I think this might be a hex-to-char conversion issue. My next step is to direct the commands to a machine on my network where I can record the udp packets and determine whatā€™s actually being sent.

I am able to successfully request the session IDs from the bridge and the response is correctly formatted, so I know that part works correctly! :smiley: Iā€™m including a code snippet of what I have so far. The pieces not quite working yet are the ā€œsetOnOffā€ and ā€œsetLevelā€ functions.

I should be getting a response like: 880000000300SN00 (SN == Sequence Number byte)
However, when running from the Vera Iā€™m getting a response like: 880000000300SN01

Anyone familiar with looking at hex will see that the difference is the last byte, where a success is ā€˜00ā€™ and where a failed commandā€™s last byte is ā€˜01ā€™.

Iā€™ll continue to hack on this but any input from others more familiar with Vera plugins will be incredibly appreciated.

I want to point out that Iā€™m building on the plugin written by RexBeckett, this is not all my code, etc.

~Jon

I have been able to achieve control of 2 groups via the modified plugin. I have on/off and brightness control but have not yet updated other parts of the plugin for color, kelvin, and saturation control. The amount of time I have available for work on the modifications is pretty limited, so if thereā€™s anyone who wants to help Iā€™d certainly be happy for the assistance. This is my first experience with Vera plugins so my code is probably not what you might call elegant :o

Iā€™m attaching the current snippet chunk for what I have working. Please feel free to comment and/or make suggestions.

I have the new Milight controllerā€¦ wish to know If I can try it with Milightā€¦ and how I would do itā€¦?

Tonight, Iā€™ll try post the current version of the modified plugin with how Iā€™ve been getting it on my Vera. What Iā€™ve been doing thus far is backup the original pluginā€™s implementation file and replace it with the modified file. This method will require you to SSH into your Vera.

Iā€™m thinking the modified plugin should wind up being a new plugin, with its iwn name. This would help ensure we donā€™t mess up communication with older bridges. Iā€™m hoping RexBeckett will be interested in taking my updates as a patch for a new version but if not Iā€™ll refactor code as necessary and try get it taken in as a new plugin.

~Jon

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Apologies for the delay in posting thisā€¦ Iā€™ve had a pretty crazy week :o

Iā€™m attaching the modified ā€˜I_MiLightRGBW.xmlā€™ file. How Iā€™m updating the file on my Vera is included below. Please note, it is possible to mess up your Vera if you do something wrong, etcā€¦

1. SCP the attached ā€˜I_MiLightRGBW.xmlā€™ file to your Vera, my preference is to put in into the ā€˜/root/ā€™ folder, since thereā€™s generally not much if anything there. I like to use WinSCP if Iā€™m on a windows box to do the copy.
  2. Connect to your Vera via SSH and verify youā€™re in the right directory (ā€˜pwdā€™ works perfectly for this).
  3. Once you have the file on your Vera, youā€™ll need to make a backup of the original pluginā€™s ā€˜I_MiLightRGBW.xmlā€™ file. The easiest option is to copy it to a new filename.
cp /etc/cmh-ludl/I_MiLightRGBW.xml.lzo /root/I_MiLightRGBW.xml.lzo.backup
  1. Now that you have your original plugin backed up, weā€™ll need to compress the new file:
pluto-lzo c I_MiLightRGBW.xml I_MiLightRGBW.xml.lzo
  1. The compressed plugin file now needs to be copied over the original plugin, in the ā€˜/etc/cmh-ludlā€™ folder
cp I_MiLightRGBW.xml.lzo /etc/cmh-ludl/I_MiLightRGBW.xml.lzo
  1. From the Vera interface, youā€™ll need to browse to ā€˜Settingsā€™ > ā€˜Z-Wave Settingsā€™ > ā€˜Advancedā€™. Here youā€™ll need to click the GO button for the ā€˜Reload Engineā€™ option. This will restart LUUP and load the new plugin file.
  2. If you want to look at the live log info while sending control commands, you can tail the uPNP log file
tail -f /tmp/log/cmh/LuaUPnP.log

At this point, you should be able to control your Mi-Light/Limitless LED lights via the new bridge. Please note, the modified file will NOT work with the older bridges.

Iā€™m happy to receive feedback, etc. on this but do keep in mind it is a work in progress and I donā€™t have every feature updated and working in this version of the plugin fileā€¦ :wink:

~Jon

Quick updateā€¦

I now have color control and I have corrected the error with the brightness control in the code I posted yesterday. At this point, I need to get Saturation control working and figure out how to implement Kelvin (white color temp) control. The control for Kelvin will need to be implemented in more than just the XML implementation file, so I figure that piece will come last.

I donā€™t really have a desire for the disco modes but I plan to get those working for the sake of replicating the same functionality from the original plugin.

See the attached implementation file if you want to try the modifications out on your own setup.

~Jon

Edited to correct the attached file