TED5000 Plugin

Here is a simple TED5000 plugin that displays current voltage and wattage usage on user-set intervals, as well as voltage and wattage goes below/above events for scenes and notifications. To install, download below and unzip. Under MiOS Developers > Luup Files, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and browse to all of the TED plugin files. Click the box “Restart luup after upload” and click “Go”. After uploading, click the “Create Device”
tab. Under UpnpDevFilename, enter “D_TED5000.xml”. Under Description, name your device. Select a room, and click “Create Device”. Close the MiOS Developers window, and click Save. You may need to restart your browser. The first time this plugin runs, it will Auto-Discover your TED5000 gateway, so it may take up to a minute. If you are running UI4, V1.1183, and you download v13 or later of this plugin, auto-discovery will only run the first time the device is loaded. Previous versions will auto-discover every time Vera restarts the luup engine, unless the IP address is manually entered in the device’s Advanced page.
A couple of notes - this plugin defaults to updates on 60 second intevals. This can be changed by clicking the device’s wrench, and going to the Advanced tab. This also defaults to MTU 1. This can also be changed under the device’s Advanced page.
Finally, if you use Vera’s energy profiling on cp.mios.com, this data will load into that. However, if you are already using this functionality through energy values manually entered in your device settings, this will probably just add to those values… making an assumption here.

EDIT:
TED5000-11 - Autodiscovery.
TED5000-12 - Negative Wattage and Cost Values
TED5000-13 - *** UI4 1.1183+ ONLY *** Autodiscovery only runs once

Woodsby great work. Now I need to pick up a ted5000. How is the device holding up? Worth the cost?

• Garrett

Seems ok. I read the reviews - seems the biggest complaint is too much noise on the house wiring so the MTU transmissions weren’t getting to the Gateway. I installed an outlet beside my panel fed off one of the two poles feeding the MTU, so I shouldn’t have any problems there. We’ll see how close it is to my bill next month - i plugged in my tiered rate as well, so we’ll see how that does. I will eventually add a MTD Cost value to this plugin.

I had an issue a few versions back with trying to install a second IPserial plugin for an extra WIZnet; despite many tries, I couldn’t get it to work! What I ended up doing was rolling back to 1.1.1047, installing the second plugin, and then after confirming everything was working, rolled back up to the latest and greatest where it remained working fine!

A pain in the arse and little bit risky but it worked for me!

@woodsby,

It’s working GREAT!! I changed the poll rate to 5 secs. Nice work…

Anyone want an AEON HEM (50% off retail) ;D

*Edit.
a) Using scenes and the “Energy usage goes above” X watts works as well as an E-Mon D-Mon system to help load shed!!

b) Using the “Voltage goes below” X watts can now send a notification of power outage.

Thank you woodsby…

JOD.

Make that 2 AEON’s for SALE!!!. 50 bucks and its yours!!!

I just got the UDP broadcast figured out… I’ll probably add autodiscovery of the TED gateway to this plugin tomorrow or the next day.

I just have to say thank you for this plugin… one of the reason I purchased VERA was when I called MCV they told me they had a plugin for TED5000 but that was not true. I’m not a developer but if I can help in anyway please feel free to contact me. I install without issues but it looks like the IP addr field only supports x.x.x.x not porting x.x.x.x:xxxxx once I pulled the port addr off it worked Thank you again

OK, had a chance to install/test. Nice! Appreciate the contribution greatly here.

Couple of things:

• IP + Port number worked fine for me (192.168.1.xxx:5000).
  • My rig is set up for Net Metering (Solar), so MTU1 outputs Adjusted Load for the plugin. Just an FYI. See attached pics showing TED’s readings for MTU1&2.
  • When the watts change significantly (300w chandelier goes on), your plugin shows some odd numbers. Apparently I am using ~4 Billion watts… See attached Pic… :wink:

.//A.

I have two sets of MTU’s, but don’t have mine set up as Net Metering. I’ll play around with that when I get a chance.

That’s odd that you’re seeing such large numbers… I’ve watched my demand increase more than 300W and not seen it get that way. Does that happen frequently? How frequently? I’m curious because I may ask you to grab me a sample of the raw data pulled from your TED gateway (I can provide you with some instructions). If it’s happening more than once a minute, I’d just need a minute sample, if it’s happening once an hour, I’d need a much larger sample…

What version of the UI are you running on your Vera? I’ve been testing on the latest betas. I am wondering if it’s something in the raw data that’s coming from TED or if it’s something in the Vera UI. Also, are you running the latest firmware on your TED?

I’ll keep an eye on it and do some more methodical discovery/reproduction on the problem if possible. I have not seen that spike misbehavior via Footprints or Google PowerMeter, only on the Vera plugin.

As for firmware versions:
Vera: 1.1.1047
TED: Gateway 1.0.383, Footprints 1.0210

.//A.

[quote=“woodsby, post:10, topic:167381”]I have two sets of MTU’s, but don’t have mine set up as Net Metering. I’ll play around with that when I get a chance.

That’s odd that you’re seeing such large numbers… I’ve watched my demand increase more than 300W and not seen it get that way. Does that happen frequently? How frequently? I’m curious because I may ask you to grab me a sample of the raw data pulled from your TED gateway (I can provide you with some instructions). If it’s happening more than once a minute, I’d just need a minute sample, if it’s happening once an hour, I’d need a much larger sample…

What version of the UI are you running on your Vera? I’ve been testing on the latest betas. I am wondering if it’s something in the raw data that’s coming from TED or if it’s something in the Vera UI. Also, are you running the latest firmware on your TED?[/quote]

I imagine both google and footprints use the livedata xml file. This plugin use raw data second history which is much quicker to poll. So, we may be dealing with two different sets of values. I am on the same fw as you so I’m guessing it’s not a problem on the ted side. I don’t have a 1047 box to test on either. I’ll message you with something that might help identify the problem. I appreciate the help.

So I want to pick up a TED 5000 and confused on which to get. I have a 200amp panel and just put in a sub panel for my new home theater room. There are so many kits being offered on their web site. Would I just need the kit that has two mtu’s to put on each leg? Or would I also need something for the sub panel? I am more interested in watching the whole house usage and not worried about fine tuning and getting exact details from the sub panel. The sub panel only has a 15 and 20 amp breaker to power outlets in the room and my equipment. Is the TED display unit worth the extra cost?

• Garrett

Unless you want to monitor the sub-panel specifically, you don’t need to install anything on it. The main panel and its two legs will give you whole-house energy usage.

So for your setup, you would just need the TED 5000-G (1 MTU, 1 pair of CTs and 1 Gateway).

As for the Display, I have one but I think it’s superfluous. The Footprint web pages + smartphone apps give me way more than the display does (and one less thing to plug in somewhere…).

.//A.

[quote=“garrettwp, post:13, topic:167381”]So I want to pick up a TED 5000 and confused on which to get. I have a 200amp panel and just put in a sub panel for my new home theater room. There are so many kits being offered on their web site. Would I just need the kit that has two mtu’s to put on each leg? Or would I also need something for the sub panel? I am more interested in watching the whole house usage and not worried about fine tuning and getting exact details from the sub panel. The sub panel only has a 15 and 20 amp breaker to power outlets in the room and my equipment. Is the TED display unit worth the extra cost?

• Garrett[/quote]

OK, got some data for you. I logged into Vera (cp.mios.com) and saw the bizarro Watt reading.
Took a few readings from the .raw URL you sent, and took a few screenshots.

Interestingly, in the Settings for your plugin, the correct watts are displayed in the text filed (“Vera-CorrectWatts…png”)

Can’t post images in PM, so screenshots here (.raw data in PM):

Thank you much. I’ll look at the raw data tonight. The pics you posted make me think it’s something in the Vera UI. And I also noticed that I have a variable (log) that you don’t have in 1047… so maybe there was a fix committed more recently.

Pretty sure it’s a simple matter of handling negative numbers. When my Net usage drops below 0, the display fails. I have MTU1 set as an Adjusted load, with a Solar array on MTU2…

Thanks again. I would really like to find a way to get real data from MTU #1 in a solar (net metering) setup… meaning separate the readings of MTU#1 from MTU#2. I’ll start there tonight.
I’ll also fix the issue of negative numbers. Thanks for catching this.

So, many thanks to @guessed, who was kind enough to spend the time as I went through the learning curve of handling signed integer byte arrays, negative power values are now supported. Also, many thanks to myself for starting this learning curve after a long day at work and while drinking a few coronas, this process took a lot longer than necessary to understand. That said, this should work now.
There is one thing I can’t test and that’s Vera’s ability to display negative values for wattage. Currently, Vera’s stock wattage variable is typed as an unsigned integer (positive values only). Chances are this typing doesn’t mean anything in the UI (yet), but I will file a bug ticket and hopefully MCV will change this… as selling power back to the utility company is a growing concept.
The next thing I will jump into will be separating the net metering out (maybe based on a setting)… but that might be a few more days before I get started on that. If anyone has any other ideas about data they’d like to see in Vera, please let me know. Please note that I am trying to avoid pulling xml files from TED, and would rather deal with the raw data. The available raw data is not as expansive as the xml data, but still covers a lot of ground.

Thanks so much @anthonyris for catching this. I certainly appreciate it. I owe you and @guessed a beer (or three).

OK, v12 is installed. Sadly, the few final dying rays of the sun just faded this evening as I was uploading, so we’ll have to wait until tomorrow to test your Negative# fix…

Best,
.//A.