Text To Speech (TTS) With Sonos - Creating Dynamic Messages

Thank you for looking at this :slight_smile:

I had a copy fault in the currentTemp variable.
But I can not see what is wrong with the parenthesis?
I am on extremely thin ice when it comes to luup :frowning:

I managed to save this code.
I will see if it works when I get home.

[code]url = require(“socket.url”)

local AV_DEV = 253
local LS_SID = “urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:Sonos1”

local currentTemp = luup.variable_get(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1”, “CurrentTemperature”, 232)
local currentCondition = luup.variable_get(“urn:upnp-micasaverde-com:serviceId:Weather1”, “Condition”, 115)

luup.call_action(LS_SID, “Say”, {Text = string.format"The outdoor condtion is %s, and the temperature is currently at %s degrees",currentCondition, currentTemp,Volume=23}, AV_DEV)[/code]

luup.call_action(LS_SID, "Say", {Text = string.format("The outdoor condtion is %s, and the temperature is currently at %s degrees",currentCondition, currentTemp) ,Volume=23}, AV_DEV)

Should probably be better like that ?

So I did a new try to get this to work. I am sure that it is correct to change the parenthesis. But the luup still doesn’t work.
So I tried to modify it again and I think I am closer now, but I still get an error when I try the luup. The code that I have now is as follows:

local AV_DEV = 253

local TEMP_SID = “urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1”
local OutTemp = luup.variable_get(TEMP_SID,“CurrentTemperature”, 232)
local Cond_SID = “urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Weather1”
local OutCond = luup.variable_get(Cond_SID,“Condition”, 115)

luup.call_action(LS_SID, “Say”, {Text = string.format(“The outdoor condtion is %s, and the temperature is currently at %s degrees”,OutCond, OutTemp) ,Volume=23}, AV_DEV)
[/code]

The thing is that the temperature part is working. This whole project is about implementing the current condition from the weather underground app.
So I think something must be wrong with line 3 or 4. I created line 3 and 4 based on line 1 and 2, and according to similar codes found here on the forum.
Can you see something in the luup that doesn’t make sense?

Try this:

local OutCond = luup.variable_get(Cond_SID,"Condition", 115) or "bad"

Then if TTS is working, it would mean that you probably don’t use the right variable name or service id.

hello i had the same problem with sonos tts and the weather plugin. i could post my code, its working for me to say the condition.

local AV_DEV = 28
local MN_SID = "urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:MediaNavigation1"
local device = 3
local LS_SID = "urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:Sonos1"
local TEMP_SID = "urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1"
local WUGTemp1 = luup.variable_get(TEMP_SID, "CurrentTemperature", 21)
local time = os.date('%M minutes past %I:')
local t = luup.variable_get("urn:upnp-micasaverde-com:serviceId:Weather1", "ConditionGroup", 20)

luup.call_action("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:Sonos1", "PlayURI", {URIToPlay="Q:", Volume=20, Duration=20}, AV_DEV)

m = 60 --60 sek
luup.call_delay( 'switch_ON', m)
function switch_ON()
luup.call_action(LS_SID, "Say", {Text = string.format("Good morning. The time is currently %s. Current temperature outside is %s and the Condition outside is %s", time, WUGTemp1, t), Volume=40}, AV_DEV)
end

luup.call_delay( 'switch_off', 900) -- Call the switch off function after a delay of 2 seconds
function switch_off()
   luup.call_action("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1","SetTarget",{ newTargetValue="0" },device)
   luup.call_action("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:Sonos1", "PlayURI", {URIToPlay="Q:", Volume=0 }, AV_DEV)
end

this play music for one minute and then it speaks the sentence: Good morning with the time, temperature and the condition outside, and then it goes back to play music for 900 sec.
hope this helps

I did some tweaking on the code, and finally got it to work.
I am not 100% sure what did the trick. But the faultfinding help lolodomo got me on the right track.
The code that works for me is as follows:

local AV_DEV = 253

local OutTemp = luup.variable_get(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1”,“CurrentTemperature”, 232)
local currentCondition = luup.variable_get(“urn:upnp-micasaverde-com:serviceId:Weather1”, “Condition”, 115)

luup.call_action(LS_SID, “Say”, {Text = string.format(“The outdoor condition is %s, and the temperature is currently at %s degrees”, currentCondition, OutTemp) ,Volume=23}, AV_DEV)

[/code]

Thanks for your help!

And you can remove this, as it’s not referenced anywhere or needed:

url = require("socket.url")

I just wanted it create a link to a really good TTS discussion that’s going on elsewhere in the forum.

It’s goal is to dynamical change the messages that are delivered via TTS.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,13921.0.html

Hi

Please could someone share some working code that groups a couple of Sonos zones players together so that it can Say a particular piece of text, after which it should return to the previous state it was in (whatever that was.?)

[quote=“parkerc, post:70, topic:173177”]Hi

Please could someone share some working code that groups a couple of Sonos zones players together so that it can Say a particular piece of text, after which it should return to the previous state it was in (whatever that was.?)[/quote]

I will try to update the example in the wiki page. I just noted the corresponding paragraph as outdated in the wiki as it lacks few arguments and in particular the GroupZones argument.

Thanks @lolodomo -

That’s where I went first to check, but like you said, it’s still marked as ‘outdated’ - I’m looking forward to using the new group commands.

Just a thought - but is there scope to have a ‘GroupSay’ command created, one that does all the grouping of Zones for you, an alternative to the current singular ‘Say’ command ?

[quote=“parkerc, post:72, topic:173177”]Thanks @lolodomo -

That’s where I went first to check, but like you said, it’s still marked as ‘outdated’ - I’m looking forward to using the new group commands.

Just a thought - but is there scope to have a ‘GroupSay’ command created, one that does all the grouping of Zones for you, an alternative to the current singular ‘Say’ command ?[/quote]

You can use “ALL” as value for the GroupZones argument.

Hi Lolodomo

Would you be able to give me an example of how that is used with a Say command?

[quote=“parkerc, post:74, topic:173177”]Hi Lolodomo

Would you be able to give me an example of how that is used with a Say command?[/quote]

It is now explained with several examples in the Wiki: http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_sonos-wireless-music-systems/wiki/WikiStart#MakingaSonosSaysomething
I hope I am clear in my explanations.

[quote=“haavard, post:67, topic:173177”]I did some tweaking on the code, and finally got it to work.
I am not 100% sure what did the trick. But the faultfinding help lolodomo got me on the right track.
The code that works for me is as follows:

local AV_DEV = 253

local OutTemp = luup.variable_get(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1”,“CurrentTemperature”, 232)

luup.call_action(LS_SID, “Say”, {Text = string.format(“The outdoor condition is %s, and the temperature is currently at %s degrees”, currentCondition, OutTemp) ,Volume=23}, AV_DEV)

[/code]

Thanks for your help![/quote]

obsessed with the TTS

My Sonos device is 73 so I edited that…

Can someone point out what needs to be edited from the above working code…

My weather underground plug in is 74
But I’m doing something wrong here …

Hi

Just change the value next to AV_DEV to your own Sonos device number e.g.

Local AV_DEV = 73

And then add the rest of the code, updating the temperature from 232 to 74 and then the Condition device numbers from 115 to ??? (What ever it is?)

yes, I should have edited to say I did that:

OK GOT IT! … items below are the variables that needed to be edited for the weather plugin and SONOS

local AV_DEV = 73

local OutTemp = luup.variable_get(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1”,“CurrentTemperature”, 75)
local currentCondition = luup.variable_get(“urn:upnp-micasaverde-com:serviceId:Weather1”, “Condition”, 74)

Sorry I just updated my previous post, to use that piece of code you need all three of the device numbers…

… I must have got that telepathically!!