The End of Automator

It may not come as a big surprise but the development of Automator has come to an end. We stopped working on our next version that was to support UI7 some time ago. Recently our push provider stopped the service offering we used and as a result push notifications stopped working.

For those using Automator with UI5 it should continue to work just the same as it always did with the exception of the push notifications.

I could give a lot of reasons why we are no longer interested in the MiOS platform but I will simply say that it has never met expectations and is not enjoyable to work with.

There are many other apps that are being actively developed and I recommend everyone look to those for future support. Automator will be made available soon for $0.99 for a limited time in case anyone does want it (again, doesn’t work with UI7) and will soon be pulled from the App Store altogether. There will be no future updates to this product.

Bummer to see another developer leave but where are you going? Who are you developing for that meets your expectations and is enjoyable to work with?

The home automation market is exploding. Companies that actively support users and developers while providing open communication in this burgeoning market will thrive. Z-Wave can be great and plays a substantial but not sole role in successful offerings.

Many exciting things to come soon.

Sorry to see you go. I’ve been a huge fan of Automator.app. I hadn’t realized that the push notifications were no longer working. Time to research an alternative. What are other people using?

Great app. Shows me lots of technical info that no other Vera app for iOS does. I’ll continue to use it, but I have had to switch to another app just for notifications.
Thanks for your efforts. Maybe one day you will return when MCV get their act together.

Automator, I want to thank you immensely for all of your efforts and giving of your time. I am on about page 8 of the ongoing saga about developers leaving and vera’s futile attempt to make more empty promises. I wish you the best of luck and only hope that you will share any guidance for us users that will be need a new platform very soon.

Sorry to see you go. One of the big issues I can see is that it is hard to get revenue. Not sure why Vera does not allow developers to charge a little for their plugins. Vera also benefits from other developers work, but does not appear to support it that well. Vera would not be nearly as desirable a product without the apps and plugins available. If people can’t monetize their efforts, they will eventually stop working on the platform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[quote=“Grwebster, post:7, topic:185687”]Sorry to see you go. One of the big issues I can see is that it is hard to get revenue. Not sure why Vera does not allow developers to charge a little for their plugins. Vera also benefits from other developers work, but does not appear to support it that well. Vera would not be nearly as desirable a product without the apps and plugins available. If people can’t monetize their efforts, they will eventually stop working on the platform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote]

not everyone does this stuff for money.
they do it for fun, learning, enjoyment and it does result in a larger community in which others will develop and everyone will benefit. If anything it’s on vera for lack of support, not because people can’t get rich by opening your garage door.

Understood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your support, Automator. Automator.app was my go-to app for a very, very long time after I first set up my z-wave system.

For anyone wondering where to go next, I highly recommend SimpleWave. It has a very clean interface and it’s developer is always listening to user feedback. VeraMate is another good option for those seeking a similar interface to Automator.app. It’s updated regularly and even has voice commands as a premium purchase option.