"The Home Remote" dashboard app demo video

Were you by any chance posting on the Home Seer forum about Home Remote too. Your comment about Ezlo purchasing the rights to Home Remote was identical to one posted today. Coincidence or what.

Not me no. Never used Homeseer.

But a lot of Homeseer and other different HA platform users used Imperihome.

There is an inbuilt Vera House Modes device in this newer version of Home Remote I am using now. Its called “Mode”.

Seems to work although I haven’t changed house modes yet, but it is showing the current mode as “Home”.

The other tiles you can see are just my Vera scenes for my house modes that also do other stuff.

I have also asked the developer for a feature request. So certain tiles actions can be locked with a numeric pin code and also to have other tiles have a popup confirmation with Cancel / OK buttons, just like we have in Imperihome. He said he would look in to adding these features.

Edit

I does show the correct house mode when you switch.

Here is another screen shot of the Camera tiles preview I was working on. The three that are working are Hikvision IP cameras.

The tile that isn’t working is an internal front camera on an Android tablet device, being served up by TinyCam Pro web server. I can’t seem to get any of these tablet cameras working in Home Remote currently.

Can it do a floor plan?
e.g. My Home Assistant Floorplan - Automate The Things

If you have got the skills which you probably have you can create anything you like in this app I believe.

The easiest way to get started with Home Remote and the way I have got my app up and running is to use something they call “Groups”

Here are some screen shots from the desktop “Designer” app.

Here you can see the devices I have linked or created in Home Remote

So under the Vera device it imported all my Vera devices and scenes etc.

Now if you watch my demo video the slide out menu from the left and the pages was all built up by using “Groups” which is basically a folder structure. You create your folders and sub-folders and you assign devices and scenes to those folders aka “Groups”.

So for example here you can see my “Home” menu item and its sub groups and the devices and scenes I add to this area of the app.

If you use Groups in this way the mobile app GUI menu items and pages are automatically constructed for you.

However and this is what @Tarkus has done with his skills, you can create your own pages. So yes you could have a page with a floor plan background image and you could place buttons on top of it.

The only page I have created myself in this project is a test page I use to just test somethings out.

I added a few buttons and a media element.
The AVR - Mute button for example is using the HTTP Client device to send a GET command out.

There is also a load of tile templates you can use. You can use them as is or you can copy and paste them to create a new instance of that template and you can then tweek it, as I did for the Camera preview tile.

There is also an app emulator in the designer so you can see how your pages and menu items are working.

So in this screen shot of the app in the designer, the “Home” menu item is a parent “Group” or folder. The “House Modes” “Switches” and “Sensors” sub menu items are sub folders of the “Home” parent folder in the Groups.

@ElCid

Just seen these screen shots of a project with a floor plan on the Home Remote forums.

Looks like a nice project but I think you would need some serious skills and knowledge of how this app works to pull something like that off.

This looks great as well.

2 Likes

Kodi remote anyone ?

I just downloaded version 3 from that thread and its connected to my Kodi HTPC and seems to be working. Will have to integrate this Kodi controller in to my project !

A few tweaks.

Just an FYI the Home Remote user who created that floor plan used Sweet Home 3D to create the floor plan and imported into Home Remote. This is just another example of the level of customization that you can achieve.

2 Likes

@Tarkus

Maybe you can help me ?

I only have smaller 7 inch Android tablets.

The Kodi remote was designed for a bigger iPAD.

As you can see the layout is all messed up and out of position for a smaller screen.

Is there an easy way to fix? Or is it a case of trying to make things smaller in size and reposition them all ?

Thanks

Possibly, there is a scale setting in the app, take the scale down until you find something that works. Note you need to save the setting in upper right corner. This may or may not affect other areas of the project but give it a shot. Other than that you would have to tweak it in designer to fit your tablet size.

An alternative to the Kodi plugin is using one of the Kodi web interfaces within in Home Remote. This is what I do. It is fully featured, search capabilities, uses native keyboard automatically. It also to a certain extent dynamically scales to the container you specify. A 7" tablet my be a bit small but perhaps if you use the full screen for it it would be ok. The interface I use is Chorus 2.

1 Like

1 Like

Looks good mate !

After a lot of time messing about resizing things and moving things about and trial and error, I now have a Kodi remote for my Amazon Fire 7 tablets.

It only works in landscape mode however in portrait everything is out of whack.

I haven’t quite got the navigation arrows positioned right, that seems to be really tricky.

1 Like

Didn’t like his arrow icons, so experimenting with my own directional arrows image / buttons.

Any Vera users thinking of trying" The Home Remote" there is currently a bug adding your Vera account to Home Remote if you have multiple Vera controllers.

It’s been reported and investigated and a fix is due in a few days I believe in an updated Designer app.

EDIT:

It looks like this issue has been fixed now:

I created a smaller portrait Kodi remote today for my phone.

I’m learning more about this app slowly.

I honestly love the way the app is put together. I was turned off by the designer learning curve, the time needed to have a solid set up and the fact that its local only unfortunately. I went back to the app today and was so pleased with how the harmony devices are handled, and its making me think twice. I have yet to put a few hours into the app itself to have it set up.

Looks good, when I get chance, this would be great in our house. Keep us updated Stu, great to see how this develops!

1 Like

To confirm, the Vera connection isn’t local only, that works remotely as well.

Do not put your Veras local LAN IP address into the Vera device object. Then it works remotely also.

However the Harmony and Philips Hue ones are local only.

But if you have your Hue lights in Vera via the AltHue plugin you can control them in Home Remote remotely via that way.

You will need much more than a few hours.