"The Home Remote" dashboard app demo video

Just an FYI the Home Remote user who created that floor plan used Sweet Home 3D to create the floor plan and imported into Home Remote. This is just another example of the level of customization that you can achieve.

2 Likes

@Tarkus

Maybe you can help me ?

I only have smaller 7 inch Android tablets.

The Kodi remote was designed for a bigger iPAD.

As you can see the layout is all messed up and out of position for a smaller screen.

Is there an easy way to fix? Or is it a case of trying to make things smaller in size and reposition them all ?

Thanks

Possibly, there is a scale setting in the app, take the scale down until you find something that works. Note you need to save the setting in upper right corner. This may or may not affect other areas of the project but give it a shot. Other than that you would have to tweak it in designer to fit your tablet size.

An alternative to the Kodi plugin is using one of the Kodi web interfaces within in Home Remote. This is what I do. It is fully featured, search capabilities, uses native keyboard automatically. It also to a certain extent dynamically scales to the container you specify. A 7" tablet my be a bit small but perhaps if you use the full screen for it it would be ok. The interface I use is Chorus 2.

1 Like

1 Like

Looks good mate !

After a lot of time messing about resizing things and moving things about and trial and error, I now have a Kodi remote for my Amazon Fire 7 tablets.

It only works in landscape mode however in portrait everything is out of whack.

I haven’t quite got the navigation arrows positioned right, that seems to be really tricky.

1 Like

Didn’t like his arrow icons, so experimenting with my own directional arrows image / buttons.

Any Vera users thinking of trying" The Home Remote" there is currently a bug adding your Vera account to Home Remote if you have multiple Vera controllers.

It’s been reported and investigated and a fix is due in a few days I believe in an updated Designer app.

EDIT:

It looks like this issue has been fixed now:

I created a smaller portrait Kodi remote today for my phone.

I’m learning more about this app slowly.

I honestly love the way the app is put together. I was turned off by the designer learning curve, the time needed to have a solid set up and the fact that its local only unfortunately. I went back to the app today and was so pleased with how the harmony devices are handled, and its making me think twice. I have yet to put a few hours into the app itself to have it set up.

Looks good, when I get chance, this would be great in our house. Keep us updated Stu, great to see how this develops!

1 Like

To confirm, the Vera connection isn’t local only, that works remotely as well.

Do not put your Veras local LAN IP address into the Vera device object. Then it works remotely also.

However the Harmony and Philips Hue ones are local only.

But if you have your Hue lights in Vera via the AltHue plugin you can control them in Home Remote remotely via that way.

You will need much more than a few hours.

Ah yes, that’s how long I haven’t used it for. On second thought I’ll never really need to access my harmony remotely. I mean for a basic setup with just rooms and devices a few hours will do, eventually I’d like to have something that looks good too. That will take quite a while!

1 Like

TinyCam Pro web server and any IP cameras being served up by TinyCam Pro, are now supported, this wasn’t working yesterday until the dev fixed it. this Includes internal Android cameras, aka the front camera on the actual Android tablet device itself.

I have tested HTTP / HTTPS both JPG Snapshot and MJPG video streams and they are working for all my wall mounted tablets.

Haven’t tried RTSP however yet with TinyCAM Pro cameras.

So i put some time into the app and actually set it up. I used pages as rooms and groups for each different device types. It works fairly well honestly much more intuitive than the current Vera app. If the app had a few more designer features I think it would be a hit ie. the ability to add folders in groups. The app still needs some work, I’ve had a few crashes and need some basic things added such as a visual conformation that a button has been pressed and the action is in process and so on. I tried designer again and I’m in wayyyy over my head, going to reach out in their forums and see if I can somehow import my current mobile setup and edit that. See some screenshots below.

1 Like

Looks good mate.

Not sure what you mean by folders in to groups though?

When you press a tile to turn on a light for example the tile will change to a solid colour, the accent colour, blue in your case. I set my accent colour to a light grey.

Yeah the designer is daunting.

You can export and import the project as a hrp file.

I just do everything in the desktop designer, save it as a hrp file then import it on to the app on the phone.

Think you can do it in reverse also, export from the phone and open in the designer.

Say for example in my “Home” page and in the “Climate” group instead of just having only device tiles in there id ideally like to have another folder in there to separate those devices more ie. one folder for “Main Floor” and in there only have the main floor thermostats.

For the buttons try locking a door, you get no visual confirmation the command was sent only until the door has been locked and the state changes.

I did import my backup into the designer but I have yet to figure out how to edit the layout the way I’d like.

Home is the Group, climate is a sub group.

I don’t think you can split the Climate sub group
in to two more sub groups. Maybe ask on the forum as you suggested.

I dont have any door locks.

It’s wasn’t easy or logical but I was able to add three tiles on my “Kodi Meda Center” sub group.

“AV” being the Group.

If I click these tiles it takes me to three different pages for each HTPCs remote.

It might be possible to make such a tile go to another area of the app certainly to a page you built yourself or possibly to a different Group page / area.