TV Room Light, On with motion sensor, Dimmed when Harmony "On", Off when Plex "Playing"

Hi,

My vision is to be able to use my Linear motion sensor and Harmony Hub “State”, and PLEX “state”, to control lighting. Possible?

Vision:

• If Harmony Hub off, then if sensor triggered turn light on. Turn off after 10 mins of inactivity.
  • If Harmony Hub on, then dim lights to 20%. If Plex is playing a show, then turn off lights. If plex is stopped or paused then dim lights to 20%.

Secondary vision if above is not possible:
-If sensor is triggered then turn lights on 100%. If no motion turn off after 10 mins.

I have tried the “Secondary vision”, but the Linear motion sensor has a default setting which leaves the sensor in “triggered” state for 3 minutes, which then does not allow me to manually turn off the lights for at least 3 minutes. I tried using a reactor sensor to turn of the “triggered” state immediately, but that didn’t work, or I did it wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance! Love reactor!

Regards,
Robin

I would check out this YouTube video and see if it answers your question. If not, come back here and we’ll talk through it.

Yes very good instructional video thanks! It will definitely help. I subscribed to your channel.

One thing it may help to mention in the video is that if you walk into a room and a motion sensor doesn’t detect you and you use a switch, the switch won’t work because reactor sensor will think it’s still in “no motion detected for x time” state and turn off switch. Any Recomendations on how to use the switch change state to add a delay also?

Any recommendations on how to get my Ideal Vision going?

Yes, but you can also add to this a condition to test that the light has been on for at least X minutes before turning it off… not hard to add… :slight_smile:

Agreed not hard at all.

Have you done any work with automating with non-z-wave devices. To be able to get my ideal setup with Harmony Hub and Plex going?

Thanks again, always appreciate your quick responsiveness and dedication!

Reactor will send actions to any device, plugin or otherwise. Its conditions will react to any device state. There’s no limitation (not Z-Wave only).

Excellent. How do I get reactor to communicate with none z-wave devices?

Come to think of it, if I say “Alexa, turn on TV room lights” how does Reactor know that command even happened?

All devices on Vera, be they Z-Wave or otherwise, are based around services, and services define behavior (actions you can perform on the device) and data (state variables containing persistent data about the device). For example, pretty much any switch that is capable of on/off, whether it’s Z-Wave or ZigBee or WiFi or just virtual, and whether it’s a dimmer or just a plain switch, implements the “SwitchPower1” service (short for it’s full ID urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1. That service defines a SetTarget action which you can use to turn the switch on and off. It also defines two variables, Target which is the goal state for the device, and Status is the last known state of the device. When you want to turn a switch on (such as when you flip the control in the Vera UI), a SetTarget action is sent to the Vera device, which generally does two things: set the Target variable to the target given in the action, and send the command to the device to go to the right target state. At some later point, the device responds or is polled and its status is fetched, and hopefully its status is then the same as the goal/target state.

The point of this is that all switches that can do on/off are treated exactly the same way in Vera–you send a SetTarget action to the Vera device. The device implementation, the driver if you will, figures out what needs to be done to make that happen. If it’s a Z-Wave device, Z-Wave commands will be generated. If it’s WiFi, it may issue a request to an API or send a packet on a socket already opened. But it doesn’t matter to you. All you need to know is that you called the SetTarget action.

So, in Reactor, you have Acitivities, and specifically there you will find “Device Action” actions. When you create a Device Action, you first choose a device. Once it knows what device you are targeting, Reactor will populate the action list with all of the defined actions that device supports. You then need to choose the right one, and provide any additional arguments. Some well-known actions have simplified interfaces. For example, when you select a switch for a Device Action, you’ll see a “Turn on/off” action to choose at the top of the menu–you don’t need to know anything about what service it’s in. Below the “common” actions are all of the possible actions, so the list is comprehensive for the device.

And in this way, Reactor communicates with Z-Wave and non-Z-Wave devices in the same way, without any need for it, or you, to differentiate. As my old mentor used to say “don’t tell it, it won’t know.”

As for the Alexa question, the only way Reactor would know anything about an Alexa command is it would see the commanded light’s state changing. It would not know why. This is a limitation of Luup–when you watch a device, it will tell you it’s changing, but not why/what caused it.

Thanks. I’ve tried to set this up and I have 2 issues:

1. My sensor state does not change state from triggered (1) to untriggered (0) for about 1 minute, so it does not immediately sense any motion for 1 minute. From the documentation I don’t think this can be changed. Which sensors you recommend that don’t have this limitation?

Linear/Go Control Manual Here: https://www.gocontrol.com/manuals/WAPIRZ-1-Install.pdf

2… I’m still a little unclear on how to get:

-Harmony Hub (Logitech universal remote controlller); and
-Plex (Computer program),

…to interact with Vera controlled devices. I don’t see a way to add these to Vera on the “add devices” screen, and thus they are not displayed in Reactor. They are not, strictly speaking, Wifi home automation devices.

You need plugins for Plex and other devices that are not natively supported. These create devices on Vera that control the physical device… they’re the drivers. See Apps > Install apps.

I use mostly the Aeotec MultiSensor 6, which seems to be about the most configurable device around. Anyone else have other suggestions here?

Thanks on both counts!

I received a WAPIRZ-1 with a Vera Plus I recently just purchased. My first complaint is its responsiveness. Easily take a 5 to 10 seconds to trip so I ordered a Dome DMMS-1. I have 2 that control the living and dining room lights and senses motion almost immediately. Sometimes there maybe a 1 second delay but it work very well.

My next complaint with the WAPIRZ-1 is the lack of configuration options, as you can see above. It was not clear if the length is decimal or hexadecimal. But that only changes the retrigger time. After a week, I gave up on that sensor and ordered the Dome Wednesday.

I have the Harmony and its Vera plug-in that @reneboer wrote but I have not played with any PLEG logic yet so I cannot help with what you can and cannot do. It would seem to me, the Reactor plug-in should be able to control the Harmony plug-in lit any other device, and receive triggers from the plug-in like other devices. You then should be able to select an activity on the remote, which would trigger Reactor to execute the light changes. You should also be able to use the activity in the Harmony plug-in to trigger in Reactor but I have not tested it.

Hi, Yes I had all the same issues with the WAPIRZ-1. Going to dump that one soon and use it only to control lights to turn off when no motion detected in small areas. I will be investing in a new one also.
My main issue is that my movie room is 25ft and the sensor faces the door. So the door is 25 exactly from the sensor. All documents I read shows the motion range angled down towards the feet and 25ft is the upper range of these sensors. Will need to research more until I order.

I did get the Harmony plugin and get reactor triggers to work when activities are started or stopped. Excellent, halfway there!

I did find this post on github about being able to get Plex (play, pause, stop) commands on a certain device to control lights, however…the instructions are beyond me, and need to spend some time digesting it…unless anyone can simplify the install for me? I don’t know what unraid is…or why its needed.

@phillid2, do you know the range of the Dome’s motion sensor? I can’t find any documentation which states it.

Thanks.

My house is fairly small, about 1600 sf. The Dome in the kitchen and easily detects motion in the living room as you are heading towards the kitchen, that I estimate is around 25’ to 30’. Similarly, the living room sensor gets tripped from some portions kitchen/dining room, so 25’ to 30’ seems like a reasonable guess. The one in the laundry room I installed tonight is pointed down but trips while you are in the kitchen, about 15’. Some folks use a couple of detectors to ensure coverage.

From what I understand, Unraid is an operating system and lots of folks in the Plex FaceBook groups use it. Personally, I have Plex running on a QNAP NAS. Theoretically, you can control Plex through the Harmony remote, and hence Vera, but I have not attempted it. I use a Roku for Plex and I use the Harmony remote to navigate the Roku device.

I may play with dimming the lights when I start a movie, but execution will be difficult in my house. I use Plex for live TV and a DVR, as well and to play my music collection, through a Roku. I have some movies on Plex but not many. We also watch Netflix a bit, and subscribe to their DVD service. So to automate lighting with Harmony would be pretty complicated based on how we use the TV for multiple purposes. More likely, I would be better off manually dimming the lights.

Thanks, Ill consider the Dome. Problem for me is I live in Canada and everything is marked up… all decent z-wave motion sensor (and switches for that matter) are $50+ each. Get costly when it all starts to add up.

I found this one which looks identical…trying to find more info on it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000223631659.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5ea7408fu4aGk2&algo_pvid=660ca2aa-d77c-40d8-b157-31b7f0171462&algo_expid=660ca2aa-d77c-40d8-b157-31b7f0171462-5&btsid=47087706-752b-47ea-8ab7-e73694003740&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_10,searchweb201603_52

I did install the Harmony Plugin and it works well for starting/stopping activities. Any activity started from any method (Alexa, Harmony Remote, Harmony App, Vera app) has the same result. I read on github that other commands though (play/pause/stop) will not work unless executed through the vera app…so that’s why I’ve turned my attention to try and control through Plex specifically. When I’m successful I’ll post how I did it.

I’m running plex off a Synology NAS.

Started this Topic specific for Plex Integration: