TZE93 Underfloor heating

Hope this is the correct place.

We’re about to get our kitchen re-done so the time is for underfloor heating.

I was thinking that one of these:
https://www.vesternet.com/collections/z-wave-thermostats-trvs-heating-controls-thermostats/products/z-wave-plus-tkb-thermostat-for-floor-heating-tze93#manuals

Will do the job to give me slightly different temperature in my kitchen vs the hall. Although this is clearly Z-wave enabled, the manual is very much leant towards using it as a normal period thermostat / timeclock
I assume I can just dump this in manual mode and have Vera set my desired setpoints as a normal scene.

Anyone see any issues with this? Anyone had any experience? Anyone have a better suggestion (bearing in mind I’m in the UK)

Cheers!

C

You will need to find a thermostat that has “zones” that can be independently set.
Setting periods is more than helpful but it will only set One Temp whether it is Kitchen or Hall.
Your solution may be multiple Thermostats each controlling there own zone.

Thanks.

I probably wasn’t clear. There is already a thermostat in the hall which controls the house heating system (normal boilers and radiators) over Vera. The underfloor in the kitchen will be controlled independently as the radiator in the kitchen is both too small and in a stupid place.

So effectively I’m looking to be able to control the underfloor with a thermostat in the kitchen and the rest of the house, as is, with the thermostat in the hall.

Cheers

C

We’re using it for bathroom electric under floor with Homeseer

https://www.homecontrolshop.com/products/tkb-home-wall-thermostat?_pos=1&_sid=b5290497a&_ss=r

Cheers! That’s useful!

C

I have 2 of these and do not recommend them :frowning:

This device is poorly designed and manufactured. First unit was malfunctioning and was replaced even before connecting it to Vera. Now I have problem with second unit - the front glass is peeling off the main unit.

Although both of them were smoothly added to Vera, temp reporting is working randomly. Also it has very bright screen that stays always on (even if device is off).

Thanks for the update!

C

Have a look at the Venstar range, they are up to date and modern, the Color Touch is about as good as it gets.
You can get them in Z-Wave or Wi Fi, rigpapa has an excellent plugin for them.

Thanks, look interesting but I don’t have the appetite to spend £300 on something that can be done for £60 :wink:

C

@Catman

Is it Electric under floor heating you have?

Which Z-Wave thermostat did you go for?

TKB also have this model of thermostat for under floor heating.

Im not sure what the difference is to the TKB model you were looking at.

These TZ10. 36 can be picked up very cheaply off Aliexpress.

I have Warmup Electric under floor heating in my kitchen and was probably going to just buy a TZ10. 36.

EDIT:

The TZE93 is touch screen the cheaper one is not. I assume the TZE93 is more advanced and has more features inbuilt, like programming timer.

Looks like they have both TKB models on Aliexpress. And also this colour touch screen one. Not sure what make it is?

TKB TZE96.716

https://h5.aliexpress.com/item/4000460466281.html?spm=a2g0n.seo-amp-search.searchResult.4000460466281

Struggling to see any difference between that and the one I referenced as the TZE, but the one you reference is the one I have.

It works (pretty much) fine for my electric floor.

It has a nice feature to be able to calibrate (or at least offset) the ambient temperature sensor so you get (in theory) the same number across the house. Mine was off by about 3 degrees compared to by hall SRT321 and independent digital thermometers.

The interface has lots of additional (non) functions
Off Heat Cool Auto
Fan Cycle Fan On FAn Auto
Energy Normal

Several setpoints as well.

As I’ve learned more I guess the xml and json could be modified to remove these.

The other issue I’ve noticed (pretty sure this is Vera) is Reactor will set a set point, and it will immediately get set back. I can work around it, but…

C

Good to hear your experience.

The first one you listed the TZE93.716 is touch screen.

The other one the TZ10.36 is not. That seems to be the main difference.

The TZE96 is the larger colour touch screen one.

Ahh, then my error was in the initial post :slight_smile:

Touchscreen thermostats seems something of a problem searching for a solution…

C

1 Like

As winter is approaching I am also considering this TZE93 unit for our electric heated floor. we have about 7 different zones in our house which are currently not controlled by Vera but by a mechanical thermostats and timers. So this unit which is stated to handle 3600W with Zwave seems as an excellent potential upgrade for my house. I will be using PLEG or Reactor to manage this and not the built in scheduling modes. I understand this unit is added as a generic Zwavw device - any issues there?
Will appreciate if anyone can share their experience with this: how is it managed by vera? (a screenshot will be great…) any suggested changes of definitions / files and so forth will be appreciated!

I might buy TZE93 on the 11/11 £31.00

My TKBHome TZE93.716 thermostat I bought in the sales turned up today from China.

It was a like for like replacement, as far as the wiring was concerned, for the existing WarmUp TSTAT 2-Door thermostat I had.

It paired to my Vera Plus as a generic Z-Wave device OK.

I’ve no idea what all these different buttons are for in the GUI ?

But HEAT turns it on and I can set a setpoint and OFF turns it off, so that’s all I’ll probably ever user.

This is how Vera added the device:

device_type: urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:HVAC_ZoneThermostat:1
device_file: D_HVAC_ZoneThermostat1.xml
device_json: D_HVAC_ZoneThermostat1.json
category_num: 5
subcategory_num: 1

I’ve not looked at the on-board weekly programming timer settings as yet and may not even need them.

1127231680855.pdf (852.5 KB)