UI7 ▾ Vera Software Update ▾ 7.0.30 - Nov 20, 2019

I am extremely disapointed with this update.

Tried contacting customer support told to leave a voicemail and they will get back to me. I understand their trying to improve the product but this a failure of QA, customer service and its unacceptable.

Another Vera Plus dead from this update here. My friend did the update on a Vera Plus and it’s dead too.
I can SSH to it and browsing to it shows: 403 - Forbidden.
Any tips to come back from this? Reset procedure on a Vera Plus?

Thanks
Bengie

I am beyond words at this point. I don’t understand why Ezlo/mios would release a firmware without fixing the enormous critical problem found during the beta which we kindly called the “Christmas light” mode problem @rigpapa is describing and is due to the network monitor. If a firmware could have been released, it would have been the alpha we tested on the old kernel. While we could have waited for the kernel to be fully tested before release. I am really sorry for all of you who are dealing with the bricking issue. At this point try to avoid upgrading. I am even tempted to write a script to only do an upgrade on the image and not upgrade the kernel and the network monitor to help the community. It repeats the cycle I have seen in the past of beta firmware being more stable than the official release because mios makes a bunch of untested changes from the beta and ignores the beta feedbacks. I really had hoped that the Ezlo management changed this but sadly it hasn’t.

6 Likes

Updated an VeraEdge without problems, update took about 7 min.

Also tried to update a VeraPlus (remotely) from version 1.7.4800 to the now officially released 1.7.4833 but it has not com back online after 30min.
I will have to see what is going on when I get home in about 8h.

Vera Secure, “Xmas light” after several hours. Looks like a network monitor problem.

Amazed by the radio silence from @melih @sorin and other Vera / Ezlo members?

C

2 Likes

“Told you so”? :roll_eyes::grimacing:

This FW is total garbage!!!

I had to power cycle my VP twice to get it back and then when it did come up it’s been factory reset!

Im just doing a manual factory reset and trying again as restoring my backup after the upgrade left me with no rooms! :frowning:

This upgrade is not fully reversible so to all people… DO NOT UPGRADE at this point. Not only it will get you to a frequent Xmas lighting mode about 80% of the time after a reboot, it will also prevent extroot and will not allow you to revert the broken changes when you downgrade.

1 Like

I accepted this update last night just before going to bed when I woke this morning at 5 I still have no update and the Vera appears to be bricked. I have unplugged and replugged twice. I have not tried reset procedures. Pull this update immediately. This may cause a lot of people to rethink Vera as I will all day long while I’m at work.

I do have ssh access but I’ll have to research the password as I haven’t ssh’d into the unit in a long time.

Don’t hesitate to ask help from our support team as well, if you need it.

https://support.getvera.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Pull the update. Simple. I have started a full reset on my plus using the reset procedure. I’ll check on it when I get home.

The reset procedure worked now I have a new Vera with no devices. Well at least it’s not a brick for real

Fortunately looks like its been pulled. However, could do with knowing how to stop the notifications, I don’t really want to go to the firmware page every time I access the dashboard to check on devices. Anyone know if this is possible?

So, how do I go about resetting the bricked VeraPlus?
All I get is solid power led.

Edit: now i have solid power led and blinkin Internet led but I can not find the device on my network.

Guess I will have to contact support after all.

I’m assuming from the comments on this that it’s primarily the Vera Plus that’s taking the hit with the latest firmware upgrade. What’s the feedback like the Vera Edge upgrade.

1 Like

I understand that anytime you update firmware there is some risk because not every scenario can be found but it sounds like this particular issue was reported by the testing community and ignored. Thankfully the backup/restore process seems fairly robust.
Not sure I understand the motivation to push the release out when testers were saying that this significant issue existed. Why waste time testing and reporting issues?
This will be a bit of a black eye for Ezlo/Vera.

We’ve been grousing about process for a long time.

1 Like

This is what happens when testers want everything fixed at once and the community demands fast progress.
How about those well tested small fixes, more frequently released instead?
That will satisfy both kind of users, I mean look at that list of fixes, adds and improvments. On top of that it’s released with known issues and untested features. I think we can blame both parties at this.

2 Likes

That’s what we asked. When we tested the alpha version 4783, we felt that version was ready for beta and probably release but the beta came with a ton of additional changes to the kernel and other problems. I expressed then that the alpha which was practically only a LuaUPnP program change could have been released a month or two ago while work continues on the kernel and OS. But no… instead we get this…

The correct way to manage software should have been:
4783 alpha moved to beta as is.
4800 alpha start
then 4783 move to release while 4800 iterations occur and eventually make it to beta. The alpha validated version and the beta must be identical.
Then iterations on the beta lead to a new build which gets validated by beta test and released without any additional changes…

Right now it is out of control.

4 Likes

I’ll second all of this, with this fact in particular. We were all enthisiastic about the 7.30 LuaUPnP alpha running on the 7.29 OS, and it could have been released that way. But then we got a new OS with a host of surprises and no documentation whatsoever on most of its changes, so we were also left in the blind with regard to what to test, and much of what we did find was by accident and took considerable effort to nail down.

But more to the point, it’s been a moving target the whole way, when the changes should have been critical fixes to release only. Their process is not a full lifecycle process, outwardly. I don’t know what it looks like internally, but from my view, it’s little changed from prior.

4 Likes