UI7 ▾ Vera Software Update ▾ 7.0.30 - Nov 20, 2019

Hi, excuse me, I’m new with Vera, can you give me the link to do the update? Thank you.

Your unit will tell you when it’s released (again)

C

Due some users reporting significant problems with applying the update to their Vera Plus units, the update appears to have been withdrawn the day after it was first made available. At present I have seen no indication of when it may be made available again.

I’m head of the incident management function for SaaS software company, if we released software this buggy (and we unfortunately have), it would be followed by post incident review / retrospective to learn what went wrong. We would also be publishing a post mortem to our customers complete with what we are doing to avoid future bad releases.

1 Like

I imagine so but your core product is aimed at B2B market. In the main Vera is sold to the domestic market as an appliance.

I assume at this stage Alzo/ Mios have gotten the message. Will they heed it, only time will tell. A number of customers have spoken directly to them via product support, others have spoken here. It should be interesting to see the outcome of these discussions.

My understanding is that there are a lot of Home Automation installers out there using Vera HAC’s too - I’m not sure what the split is but I’d imagine the technical enthusiasts here are in the minority of Vera customers.

Especially in Australia / NZ where it is illegal to do your own electrical work - I’m lucky that I know a good sparky who lets me take care of the automation side while he takes care of the electrical installation of my z-wave modules.

Looks that way - we (multiple users) told them quite cleary that 7.30 was not ready for release and there was a serious bug impacting Plus HAC’s (the crash with no internet followed by Xmas tree boot failure bug) and yet they still released it.

They need to ensure they take these reports seriously in the future and act on them - we are providing free testing services for them because we like the platform and are heavily invested. Despite this, it would not be hard for us to migrate to HomeSeer if they pi$$ us off (I already own it as do others here).

I just did the latest firmware upgrade to my Vera Edge and now I’m getting a “Controller offline” after I login. I can see that it did do the upgrade but I can’t use my Vera. Any ideas what the problem could be or how to fix this. I did reboot my Vera but still the same.

Others have been saying press the reset button three times and that should bring it back up. I have also read you may need to do a restore to get z wave network back. I will caution I HAVE NOT upgraded as I am very cautious to upgrade until I know these are safe to apply.

Thanks for the info sky320.

I’d strongly suggest that the first wave of upgraders to the RC should be the beta testers. They would be the most obvious candidates for this. I certainly wouldn’t risk upgrading a production unit either. I’d be in no hurry to jump on the upgrade bandwagon unless I felt I had the skills to resolve the issues an upgrade could cause.

Best to adopt the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” policy and err on the side of caution certainly if it’s your production unit.

Words well said.
After witnessing the results of Upgrades since UI5 and the disasters that they have wreaked on early adopters, I’m not seeing what any advantages that this release has on production HAC’s?
Further, I’m puzzled why this release was made when there is a further Alpha out there?
Most puzzling…
I’ll stand back and watch as I have in the past. :popcorn:

I’m always cautious when it comes to firmware upgrades but I read that the Edge wasn’t having any problems only the Plus, so I went ahead.

And what was the outcome.

Getting a “Controller offline” message.

For the vera the policy doesn’t really work. They are all kind of broken. Given the track record of releases… I would not upgrade anything on production units period and treat every firmware as alpha grade requiring exhaustive testing before production.

What drives people to upgrade is often the hope that their ages old problems will get fixed in this firmware.

1 Like

Early adoption seems to be a desire for many just to stay ahead of the next guy and have the latest.

All the hard work that goes into beta testing seems to evaporate as soon as the RC hits the market. Ironically that seems to be the time when the real testing starts.

As I mentioned previously if you decide to go down a rabbit hole just make sure you know where the exit is. Most do not and end up like lemmings following each other over the cliff.

OT, but I already have a Lite on UI5 that has (and is touch wood) performing flawlessly since the inception of UI5. Another Edge on UI7 (1.7.29 that was upgraded by Support, I wan’t touching it) and another on Stand By for the Alpha if and when the WebUI ever gets released.
The other HAC’s are Homeseer (pi & Windows), which unlike Vera are rock solid and don’t have tantrums with devices.
I so much want Vera to be successful, but the time has come to make a commercial decision and release Homeseer Kits in preference to Vera.
This isn’t a goodbye, rather another step forward in which I’ll step back again and watch the hiatus as it unfolds.

I wouldn’t agree on the HS front. HS was awash with memory leaks the last time I checked and the garbage collection left a lot to be desired.

Remember many users running HS are doing so on i7s under Windows with a million plugins include energy monitors which fairly well negates the whole point of energy monitors running these machines 24/7 as servers

I don’t think it’s accurate to say HS is without its problems and do bear in mind they are actively selling a product, HS4 which has yet to have an alpha version let alone a beta version.

In the meantime I am on day 19 of the 7.0.30 beta with no luup reload and still seeing the significant improvements with the reduction of zwave wasteful overhead. I am completely convinced that this 1800s default wakeup interval combined with the UI7 wakeup ARR/NNU function is what has turned the vera from a promising controller with a bright future, a market leader into completely unstable platform and a disastrous commercial situation. This practically tanked UI7 and was the suicide act for mios which lead to it being sold. In hindsight, the reason why it got to where it is, is exactly what I have suggested before: Very poor software development/management. I hope this changes. Releasing a build with massive untested changes or poorly tested changes, is only the tip of the iceberg. It is the lack of understanding of what beta means and obstinatingly refusing to listen to beta feedbacks, persevering in implementing these functions which not only are flawed by design but also are killing the network and the devices batteries with useless network traffic, while the developers have no mean to test to failure or even to marketing specs, only having a meager number of devices to test with is what brought vera to where it is today. And we are observing another repeat of it with this uncontrolled release.

Message in a bottle: (second time) You could release 7.30 build 4783 as beta with no kernel update. This at least was alpha tested. You could easily move it to full release within 2 weeks after that and continue your work on 4800/4833 focusing on the kernel, give the devs here the opportunity to test it as alpha before moving it to beta. Also please give us the ability to disable wakeup poll.

2 Likes

I just got home and ran a raw compare analysis between the beta and this last build on the plus and confirmed what I suspected. The network monitor problem we have reported has indeed been ignored since they are identical. A few minor changes were done to the webserver and 1 of the wizards. The major change is on the kernel. So not only did the beta feedback got ignored but additional low level changes were made without going through beta testing.

1 Like