Understanding Parameters and Variables

Total newb here. I am trying to understand the many parameters and variables of my aeotec devices in the Vera interface. Is there a source where i can understand what all these numbers mean? Simple thing like firmware, i just don’t understand how to tell what firmwareinfo is telling me and what version i have on a device.

I think i undersstand these numbers would be different from device to device and vendor to vendor, but any help would be great.

TIA

The first most important thing you need to understand is that variable names alone are not unique on a device. The only way to correctly refer to a variable is by the combination of its service ID and the variable name. It’s very possible to have the same variable name used in many different services, so a device can save several variables with the same name, and they all mean different things. In combination with the service ID, however, their meaning is quite precise.

As part of another project, I’ve written a bit about this here.

Once you’ve got a grip and services and variables, most of the learning is by discovery (here in these forums and live on your machine), or by some of the regrettably thin documentation we currently have available.

1 Like

@rigpapa
Great read! (… do not skip …)

Thanks for this will take a look.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.