Undstanding 'Device Options' and the correct method to update and add configuration settings

Hello,

I have tried updating Device options for a few devices in past, but have always been met with error messages from the device.

Can someone point me in the right direction on how the following should be done so the configurations update properly without errors?

1. How do you know the correct data size if it is not mentioned in a manual?

2. How do you know if a data size is ‘dec’ or ‘hex’ if it is not mentioned in a manual?

3. After updating an existing variable to a desired value, what is the correct process for it to actually update? I continually see “Waiting for device to wake up” or “Failed at: Setting user configuration”.

4. Why are some configuration settings mentioned in a manual not listed?

5. If adding a new configuration setting mentioned in a user manual, but which is not originally listed in vera, what is the correct procedure? Can you name the variable anything, or does it need to be a number only?

I have tried doing luup.reloads and walking in front of motion sensors to trigger them to ‘wake up’, this hasn’t worked.

Thanks in advance!

1. Don’t know in honesty. Trial and error might work but perhaps one of the experts can help
  2. As above
  3. OK, this will depend on the device. If your device is battery powered it should, in the manual, tell you how to wake it up. Or you can wait for it to wake up on its own (which might take some time) Walking in front of a sensor won’t necessarily wake it up (FGMS001 for example) Failed at… is, IME, happening when the value you’ve tried to set is something the device doesn’t support.
  4. Now that you’d have to ask the manufacturers, but if it’s not in the manual, how do you know there’s a setting?
  5. What sort of variable are you thinking of?

C

“Dec” or “hex” is not a size, it’s a display/entry representation. It doesn’t matter to the device, only to you. If you choose “hex”, the value you enter will be interpreted as a hexadecimal value (i.e. entering “10” is decimal 16). But when sent to the device, it’s sent as a binary value (the network format of the value) no matter which representation you choose.

Configuration parameters are numeric only. They have to match the number assigned by the manufacturer for the setting/purpose.

1 Like

There is a setting to turn off the LED on/off, timing settings, and sensitivity settings for motion sensors.

So normally you just create a setting (which needs to be the right number and set the value (which also needs to be correct) but I’m still confused. If it’s not in the manual, how do you even know it exists?
C

They are in the manual, they are not natively displaying as options in Vera. When I tried adding them in, I couldn’t get the ‘Waiting for device to wake up’ message to go away. The only thing that got it working again, was removing the device and then adding it again, but this didn’t take the new settings. So figured I was doing something wrong. Isn’t there a way to force a wakeup? …frankly im surprised that changing device settings is manual. I would have thought that by default, after changing a setting, it immediately updates.

Here was the example that prompted me to start this thread. (my other motion sensors have other settings not listed below).

I’m trying to update this setting from 3 to 1. I changed it last night. The wakeup interval is 1800 seconds (30 mins)…but its still saying waiting for wakeup this morning. I’m not quite sure why it says that its currently 0. I was trying HEX, and DEC…but now its stuck on HEX.

OK with you!

So you call your variable (in this case) ‘1’ Variable names are always numbers AFAIK
It’s Parameter 1, that’s what goes in the ‘Variable’ box.
I would go with 2 bytes hex (which, if i’m not totally off will give you a max value of 255)

Does that make sense?

C

In this case, the variable field was pre-polulated as “1-re-trigger wait time (1-255)”.

Are you suggesting I need to change it to just “1”? and that’s why its not working? I’ll give it a shot.

Not sure how it got pre-populated, but yes, I’d change it to ‘1’

I suspect you’ve created a ‘new’ variable of that name, so thinking about it I might well delete that one with the ‘X’ at the right. Wake the device and get that locked in, then create a new one with the right settings. Or you might well still get the error.

C

I have never changed variables on this particular sensor. It was pre-populated by default. I have noticed on other devices that the variable field is always a number followed by a dash followed by a description.

Is there a way to force a wakeup through vera?

you can use these formats:

• number
  • number-comment

so both 1 and 1-my comment are fine. the latter has the advantage that you can easily remember what’s related to without the manual.

2 Likes

This man knows far more. I wasn’t aware of that.

So @therealdb any ideas why that’s not working?
@w1se you are pressing the ‘Save changes’ button, or course?

C

yes hitting save. Went to device to open, to trigger tamper, which thought may wake the device…the device was unresponsive before I took the cover off. After replacing the cover, it hasn’t come back. This was the same issue I had with other sensors. Now only way is to exclude it, then re-include it, which from the instruction manual, restores it to factory settings.

…Still not sure what I am doing wrong.

Set it and leave if for a couple of days. You have to be lucky and get an empty queue when it tries to send them. Look also at disabling the nnu and company, from a previous post, to improve the chance to have it configured again.

Doesn’t this seem like a major flaw? Is this a vera, or z-wave protocol causing the issue?

Does anyone else have to wait days for changes to take effect?

Yes, it is. It’s the way vera handles the zwave commands. It is fundamentally broken, specially for battery powered devices. You’ll find a lot of reports in this forum.

So, last night I was checking on this, and noticed that the sensor has updated to a 1 minute delay, as desired and expected. However, it still has this message in vera:

Any ideas?

It is probably just cosmetic. I have a device doing very similar, and I have this startup code

luup.variable_set("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HaDevice1", "Configured", 1, 133)
luup.set_failure(0, 133)

it was supposed to be temporary, but I have it running at startup with success.

1 Like

I’ve had this issue before and if you change auto configure to 0 it stops the error from coming up