Uninstall: Amazon Alexa Helper & Sercomm IP Camera

I try unsuccessfully to uninstall both applications Alexa Plugin and Sercomm IP camera. As soon as the application is uninstalled it installs itself.

I do not have an Alexa or Sercomm camera. Why are these applications installed without my permission?

Hello,

It is a mistake on our part and we’ll rectify it in one of our next releases, it’s on our backlog already. We apologize for this situation.

Both of these apps were used to be delivered with the firmware as an integral part of the out of box experience but we’ve went with automated installation instead to be sure the apps were the latest version we are publishing on the app store and to be able to ensure a quicker update cycle than the firmware way. This in turn caused this problem you’re witnessing and again we’re apologizing for this situation.

If you are worried about these apps that they might do something on your system we can guarantee that they’re benign an since we’re an open platform you can always inspect the code for yourself and check it out. If you want help on how exactly to do this we can provide it as well.

At this point, these plugins are so married with our firmware that we had to do this until we find a better way. We’ll let you know exactly when and how exactly we’ve fixed this. If you have any other questions we’re always ready to answer them so please do ask them here or head to our customer care support.

Thank you for your understanding and for providing me here the opportunity to address this for any other that might be concerned over this!

[quote=“Mircea-Ionut Teletin, post:2, topic:197239”]…
At this point, these plugins are so married with our firmware that we had to do this until we find a better way. We’ll let you know exactly when and how exactly we’ve fixed this. If you have any other questions we’re always ready to answer them so please do ask them here or head to our customer care support.
…[/quote]

but perhaps for now they can at least be hidden…

luup.attrib_set('hidden', myUnwantedDeviceId)-- put in your "Startup Lua"

Thank you for the clarification and I think I can live with the situation until the next update. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Mircea-Ionut Teletin, post:2, topic:197239”]Hello,

It is a mistake on our part and we’ll rectify it in one of our next releases, it’s on our backlog already. We apologize for this situation.

Both of these apps were used to be delivered with the firmware as an integral part of the out of box experience but we’ve went with automated installation instead to be sure the apps were the latest version we are publishing on the app store and to be able to ensure a quicker update cycle than the firmware way. This in turn caused this problem you’re witnessing and again we’re apologizing for this situation.

If you are worried about these apps that they might do something on your system we can guarantee that they’re benign an since we’re an open platform you can always inspect the code for yourself and check it out. If you want help on how exactly to do this we can provide it as well.

Thank you for your understanding and for providing me here the opportunity to address this for any other that might be concerned over this![/quote]

So when is this gong to get fixed??

Hello there,

It’s on the short list, we will try to include in the next firmware if possible.

Personally I’d appreciate sooner rather than latter, I have 5 plugins installed, but I have 21 plugins per vera, all the unwanted has undefined device, and I can’t do anything with them. Let’s move forward, test and stop making so many mistakes that always have to be placed on the back burner. Now I’m determined to go learn lua.

Any update, still waiting to remove these.

Wow, this is almost a year old. I found the script which reinstalls the files for these two plugins but have not bothered to try removing them even though I do not use them since they don?t seem to hurt anything. This is just poor programming.

Wow…still not fixed after almost 1.5 year >:( >:(

Being older than most users here, and since I treat my Vera much like Ron Popeil cooks turkeys (“SET IT AND FORGET IT”) – easily going months without looking at its user interface – I gotta laugh at how many times I attempted to remove the SERCOMM IP CAMERA app, forgetting that it was not possible.

Today that all changed.

After upgrading to 7.0.31, it gave me so much pleasure to finally say goodbye to that blasted bloatware. The removal “stuck”! :smiley:

I know this has been a sore subject for many, and for a long time, but I am sharing my exaltation at seeing “Success! App uninstalled” with others who, like me (and those with OCD), were just tired of seeing it in our Apps list!

P.S. Ditto “Google Assistant”. Ditto “Ezlo Cameras”. Sayonara.

1 Like