Unlocking Doors with PIN Code

Can we get this to work with Vera this year?

I doubt it

It actually used to work (somewhat)…

Had a reply from Vera … sounds like progress!

Mike,

Let me clarify/intermediate; skill does not support unlock, at present. Will be added in shortly, along w/ (long overdue) Echo Show and Echo Spot expansion.

Cheers,

Colin Burke McClure ▾ SVP Product & Innovation

That reply was in regards to using Alexa (or possibly Google Home) to unlock the doors. I will never support that ability as it allows someone outside the house to do it if the smart home assistant can hear their voice…

It’s unlikely that this will work without a PIN system. From what I’ve found, any lock options using Alexa will need a user defined PIN to be in place on the Alexa side. So, unless you “activate” the option in Alexa, it won’t work.

That being said, you can already unlock doors with Alexa by using work-arounds in Vera scenes. Use Luup coding and it seems to bypass the Alexa security safeguarding. I use this now to disable security sensors to specific doors.

While I can, I do not unlock doors with this method.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I know ways to do it, I just refuse to do so.

[quote=“Nameless, post:6, topic:199679”]It’s unlikely that this will work without a PIN system. From what I’ve found, any lock options using Alexa will need a user defined PIN to be in place on the Alexa side. So, unless you “activate” the option in Alexa, it won’t work.

That being said, you can already unlock doors with Alexa by using work-arounds in Vera scenes. Use Luup coding and it seems to bypass the Alexa security safeguarding. I use this now to disable security sensors to specific doors.

While I can, I do not unlock doors with this method.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk[/quote]

The PIN doesn’t have to be on the Alexa side. Example: I use the Chevrolet skill to start my vehicle in the morning. I say “Alexa ask Chevrolet to start my vehicle” she responds with “what is your pin” and I respond with the PIN that is configured in Onstar.

Is the unlock WITH Pin feature available with Vera? I know it is with Alexa. When. I last spoke to a Vera support rep (last summer) they said they hadn’t adopted this yet and it wasn’t available through Vera.

Are there any updates on this, specifically has anyone had any luck with Yale deadbolts? I have two older model Yale “Real Living” Deadbolts, and although I have PIN codes set up for both, and I’ll ask Alexa to unlock either the front or back door I’ll get the notification to state my PIN code, Alexa will respond “unlocking, hang on…” and then an error message that the locks are not responding.

I’ve heard that the new Yale “Assure” line of locks will unlock with Alexa. Can anyone confirm this?? Is there no work-around to get the older model Yale locks to unlock with Alexa + PIN code?

It is my understanding that the issue lies within the Vera skill. As of now any lock paired with a Vera hub will not unlock via Alexa with a voice prompt whether you have given it permission to do so with a pin within the Alexa app. I’ve seen some convoluted work arounds but for me it’s not worth it. Vera in a response to me promised this would be addressed about 9 months ago. Still waiting.

2 years and counting. Thankfully Siri Shortcuts with an unlock scene in Vera is a good work around.

The problem with Alexa is that they have blocked unlocking doors.
Even if you do it in a scene, Alexa can see that the deadbolt is there and won’t allow it.

This is my solution that has been working for over a year now.

Install Switchboard App on Vera and create a virtual Tri-state switch. I called my switch “Front door lock”
Then create a scene that uses the that virtual switch as a trigger.
When the scene sees the virtual switch go to OFF, Vera’s action is to immediately unlock the real front deadbolt.
I then put a delay action that waits 5 seconds then puts the virtual tri-state switch in “Void” mode.

Putting the virtual switch in “Void” mode does 2 things.
First it prevents Vera from calling for the door to unlock if the power is cycle on Vera and it is still in the OFF position.
Second it is less confusing on the Vera GUI to see that the virtual switch is not calling for the door to unlock.

You can do a scene for the ON to call for the door to LOCK, but there is no point since Alexa locks the deadbolts without a problem.

In case you are wondering why i used OFF as the unlock. it just makes sense to me that ON would call for lock, so OFF must call for unlock.

This may work with other devices that do not allow you to unlock deadbolts or turn off security devices.

Switchboard acts as a gateway that other devices cannot see through.

Hope this helps.