Using Node-Red for Google Home TTS announcements and other stuff eWeLink

That’s a shame, maybe Santa will bring you a new ChromeCast with Google TV !

I’ve not bought one of the new Google TV ChromeCast’s yet.

I have a 4K Fire TV stick in the living room as I prefer Youtube with a menu GUI and remote control.

All the other TV’s just have a regular ChromeCast video device, which is what my daughter users to cast her phone and iPad to the TVs.

All I tried was using the Youtube app on my phone and I added a few videos in to the QUEUE.

But pressing the Queue Next Inject didn’t make it skip and start playing the next video in the queue.

I haven’t figured out the different apps yet for this CastV2.

Specifying the app doesn’t seem to work either for Queue Next.

msg =
{
  payload: {
    app: "YouTube",
    type: "QUEUE_NEXT"
  }
}
return msg;

“Error: Invalid request: INVALID_COMMAND”

It says you don’t need to specify app anyway for “Media Commands” and Queue Next is a media command.

“Media commands are listed below. These tend to be global to most media apps. For any app supported by this module, these should be supported. You do not need to include an app with these as the node will attempt to join any active sessions for supported apps automatically.”

Seems its the command itself it doesn’t like for some reason.

Definitely doesn’t work, just started playing a music playlist of videos off YouTube. Next_Queue doesn’t skip to the next music video.

Not supported

1 Like

I’m just reading that now, found it before you posted.

Bill over on the Home Remote forum just told me he has added support for Google Cast devices. So I’ll be using that now instead, rather than these CastV2 node playback controls.

As of version 0.2.17 of the original node-red-contrib-cast, it is working again now.

So you can now choose either of these different Cast nodes to use, up to you…

Think I’ll be sticking with the new CastV2 node as it seems more reliable with the TTS announcements as previously stated and with the newly designed flow, we have more functionality.

Thanks for the clear explanation how to use TTS with castV2. It works perfect only when I play TuneIn and TTS message appears the music stops. Is it possible to resume the stream after TTS?
You may be able to read the current stream and save it in a variable and start stream again after TTS. I am not familiar with node red. You may know a solution.

It is possible but i don’t own any google or cast devices, so it makes it difficult for me to test and work out howto. After the holidays if you want to spend an afternoon testing and feeding back data, i would be happy to look at it.

That would be cool! Let me know when you have time.

I respect everyone’s free time, but I am curious about the solution. Do you have time during the weekend to look for it together?

Think i will be free sunday after 12 uk time

Ok, Thanks for your quick response. I’ll keep an eye on the forum.

Google Home TTS via node-red is currently broken again and not working.

Google messing about it seems again with the translate API and maybe attempting to lock it down.