Vera and Fibaro FGSD-002 Smoke detector

Hi all,

I have quite a few Fibaro Smoke Detectors (FGSD-002) at home and ran into some troubles with some of them. I thought I would post here some of my findings that could help other people with the same problems.

At first, a few years ago, the integration of the smoke detectors with my Veras (a Vera Lite and a Vera Plus) was seamless. The smoke detectors were recognized as smoke detectors. Moreover, you can ask Vera to send a notification when the detector rings… In this case, when pressing the test button to test the alarm (keep the central button pressed for a few seconds), a notification was sent allowing to test easily communication of the detectors with Vera.

A few months ago, I bought more smoke detectors, but their behavior with vera changed, probably due to some hardware changes in the detector.

1. The detectors are no more detected as Smoke detectors, but as some kind of generic switch in Vera.
  2. Even after solving this, testing the smoke detector with the central button does not trigger any notification from Vera…

Here are the “solutions” for each problem…

1. The solution to the inclusion problem was found and posted here : VeraPlus and Fibaro FGSD002 smoke detectors not working - #11 by Norberg - Door Locks & Sensors - Ezlo Community
    Globally, a hardware change in the detectors creates an identification problem with Vera, which does not detect the smoke detector as such. To solve it, once the device has been added as a generic switch, you need to go to the device, click on “Advanced” to access the device parameters, and change the following fields :
    device_type >> urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:SmokeSensor:1
    device_file >> D_SmokeSensor1.xml
    device_json >> D_SmokeSensorWithTamper1.json
    category_num >> 4
    subcategory_num >> 4
    Go back to the welcome screen, wait a bit and refresh the page : the smoke detector should appear as a smoke detector (with “armed/unarmed” options showing up).

2. Now, for the notifications when pressing the test button, there is no solution : it seems Vera has updated its firmware, and ignores the test alarm. Even if you have a smoke detector whose test button was triggering a notification before, since a firmware update (I don’t know precisely which one, but it seems to be an update in 2019), it won’t work anymore.
    However, this does not mean the smoke detector does not communicate with Vera when smoke is detected. I ran some tests, and although the test button did not trigger any notification, the smoke alarm, when triggered by real smoke (or, in my case, a smoke spray) triggers the notification process on the Vera.

I hope this post will help those having problems with these smoke detectors !

2 Likes