Vera Controller Down, then Up

Hello,

About a year ago I started to receive notifications my vera lite controller is down, then minutes to hours later receive notification its back up. This was happening once a week or so, but now it is happening 1-3 times per day. The controller is still “up” and accessible locally on my network, every device still running on schedule, but my controller shows offline when logged into my getvera.com account and sends notification emails that its down. My internet connection is stable and connected during these times. Anyone know what could cause this to happen so often? Is my controller failing?

Thanks!

1 Like

Indub,

Don’t know if its the same problem as I just recently had - see my post under “Vera Plus not activating devices” but it sounds familiar.

My problem was with a Vera Plus and the memory kept getting used up with log entries.

I suggest you contact the support people, they seem to be terrific in diagnosing and fixing problems.

I have this issue as well. Just getting around to researching it online. It’s been happening probably 4 to 5 times a day for about 2 months.

I also have had this problem a couple months as well but haven’t had much opportunity to look into it. It’s gotten worse recently and my Vera Plus is getting so unstable that it isn’t performing its functions a significant percentage of the time. Not looking forward to the many hours I’ll likely spend in this rabbit hole.

I or any of the controllers I am in charge of are doing this.
Is it only Vera Lite? UI5?

Mine is having this issue on UI7. I noticed also that I have a couple apps I no longer use that won’t uninstall. I wonder if it has something to do with that. Maybe some old files that weren’t removed are causing our controllers to do down and up. Its been a while since I messed with this much, I can’t remember how to remove files manually. I’ll look into it this weekend and see if that helps at all. Most issues I’ve had with my vera lite over the past couple years have been due to limited memory. Another possibility is its some issue between our controllers and micasaverde servers - in my case at least, my controller is still actually up and working when I receive the notification its down, its just not accessible through getvera.com, only through local IP.

Hi all,
since a couple of weeks my Vera Plus has a lot of reboots (about once every 15min), causing scenes with delays in it not to run completely. Contacting Support did not help a thing… so I tried to fix it myself, knowing that I could do a factory reset and restore a recent backup.
Yesterday I upgraded to FW 1.7.3453, eversince the device is acting unpredictable and does NOT let me restore my back-ups any longer. FRUSTRATING !!!
When trying to restore a working backup-file, the unit just hangs with all leds on except the ones for Z-Wave, Zigbee and Bluetooth. Unit isn’t accesible nor via local network nor via getvera.com. The only solution to get out of that situation is a factory reset (6x reset-button).
So… I tried to start from scratch (new install, adding rooms, adding apps,…) and it takes huge time ?nd still resets around every 10 to 15 minutes.
In normal conditions I have about 150 devices connected… but even with the rebuild I noticed the restarts without added devices…

HELP !!! I want to try going back to firmware 7.0.22 (Vera Plus 1.7.3015) and see if that allows me to restore one of my backup-files…
Anyone knows where I can find that old firmware-file?

A very frustrated Vera-customer !

Try putting this in the “URL for custom Vera firmware:” box to go back. (http://dl.mios.com/firmware/mt7621/mios/release/mt7621_Luup_ui7-1.7.3015-en-mios.squashfs)
I’ve had to do this in the past. You can also just modify the version number in the URL to get the firmware version you want. I was having similar issues and was able to finally narrow it down the one z-wave device. It has been stable on the latest release for a day or so now. Fingers crossed.

Well I ssh’d and removed a bunch of unused plugin files to clear memory to see if that helped but it still went “down” today. I noticed though that one of the plugins I removed via ssh has somehow reinstalled itself. Anyone know the other plugin file directories? I only know of /etc/cmh-ludl.

2 are known:

• plugin for Alexa
  • app for Sercomm IP camera
    You just can’t delete them permanently…
    I managed to restore the backup, but restarts keep on happening.
    I bought VERA Plus after using VERA 3 for quite a while… because of the expected better performance.

I ended up getting help from Vera support and they were able to help me decipher the cryptic log files and identify a few devices that were causing issues. About three day’s now without Lua engine restarts which is better than I have ever had. Crossing my fingers that nothing changes.

TsViper… a couple devices that were causing problems?
Any idea which ones?

[quote=“Frankh, post:12, topic:198040”]TsViper… a couple devices that were causing problems?
Any idea which ones?[/quote]

I have a EZMultiPli Sensor that causes issues after I would add a new z-wave device. Had to remove and add it again. They also identified a zigbee device that was updating every 20 seconds for some reason so I removed and re-added and that solved that one as well. Several months back I also had a GoControl contact sensor that was ?flooding? the z-wave network with data. Not sure if it?s just some bad devices or bugs with the Vera software.

[quote=“Frankh, post:10, topic:198040”]2 are known:

• plugin for Alexa
  • app for Sercomm IP camera
    You just can’t delete them permanently…
    I managed to restore the backup, but restarts keep on happening.
    I bought VERA Plus after using VERA 3 for quite a while… because of the expected better performance.[/quote]

I recently discovered why we receive so many ‘controller down’ and ‘controller up’ notifications, at least pertaining to my particular issue. Those notifications are sent any time their servers switch, doesn’t mean the controller is actually down. I think they should change that notification because it sends the same notification when your controller really is down.

I also found why the alexa and sercomm ip camera apps won’t uninstall. They’re built into the firmware. I was told they are working on making them optional.

Hello indub,

Your affirmations are correct. up/down alerts are mostly due to relay dynamically changing and this is due to change, albeit for a while now because it’s a core capability which has a tone of dependencies, that’s while it’s taking longer than expected.

And exactly 1 year later… “taking longer than expected” is still the case. Still getting these controller down/up relay switching messages once or twice a day for 2+ years now.

It’s a remote system and I really do want to know if there is an outage so I have kept the alerts enabled just in case there is one that lasts longer than a few minutes. But oh my, this is annoying.

[quote=“GaryOkie, post:16, topic:198040”]And exactly 1 year later… “taking longer than expected” is still the case. Still getting these controller down/up relay switching messages once or twice a day for 2+ years now.

It’s a remote system and I really do want to know if there is an outage so I have kept the alerts enabled just in case there is one that lasts longer than a few minutes. But oh my, this is annoying.[/quote]

While I agree it’s not good, possible workaround? Install Netmon app and ping an external website. Then when that fails set an alert. In fact after today, I think I might do that right now!

C

And done!

C

It really depends on what you are trying to monitor.
The mios server notification is more about the server being able to reach your vera so technically the monitoring needs to be outside your house.
If you setup the vera to check whether it has internet access and send you a notification then… guess what… if it lost internet access, it will have a hard time sending you anything. :stuck_out_tongue:
The problem with using an external server service to poll your vera through the remote access tunnel is that we are exposing ourselves to the reliability of the server itself.
One alternative, which can be spendy, is to have redundant internet services (the 3G idea from the vera secure is an example, I personally use dual ISP) which then can be setup to send you a notification when failover event occurs.
The next step is to check whether the vera is up and for this either your router or in my case openLuup does it for me and sends a notification when it goes down.

Damn you logic! I’ve got lives to save!

Oh that doesn’t work.

Rafale, you are, of course, correct. I am embarrassed. In my defence, such as it is, it’s been one of those weeks…

C