Vera Edge and Intermatic CA600

I recently upgraded my VeraLite to a Vera Edge. It did not go very smoothly, ultimately I had to rebuild my system from the ground up. Now the Vera Edge unpairs from CA600 (Intermatic Dimmers) randomly, about 1 per each 24 hour period. Most often I wake in the morning and walk around the house looking for the flashing lights that appear on these dimmers when they are unpaired. They are also deleted from the UI interface.

Anyone else having this problem?

othgeek

I haven;t heard of this happening with the CA600, but it has happened with the CA3500. In those cases, the issue was the aging Intermatic device, not Vera.

I am having the same issue on my veralite since firmware UI7 ▾ Version 7.0.10 (1.7.649/1.7.1320) ▾ July 30, 2015
That versions delt with some sort Z-Wave firmware update. All my intermatic switches CA3000 started Blinking, From one to several per day where eventually after 5 days all started Blinking. However they where all still operational through gui except for one.

Waited for latest firmware then Unpaired all devices and paired again. Everything worked for 3 Days then 1 Device at a time all except 2 ca3000 started blinking. Several weeks later Only 2 devices remain normal no blinking lights. However all manageable through gui

I strongly feel its Definitely a vera issue after the firmware update.

I have a similar set up… House w/ Vera Edge and multiple CA600, CA3000 switches. Unfortunately, I am experiencing a similar problem. My devices have all randomly started blinking (although most still work). i can exclude / include them again and the lights temporarily go away. Also, one of the devices will no longer pair … It just keeps blinking!

I had a Vera lite for 3 years prior… Never had any issues w/ the switches. Very reliable, until one day the vera lite just quit working altogether… I am now kicking myself for “upgrading” to the Vera Edge. I hope they resolve these issues soon.

I have rebuilt my Vera Edge zwave system from the ground up twice, unpairing and repairing all devices. They seem to drop off at night. I wake up in the morning wondering which of my Intermatic dimmers will be flashing. If I understand, the new zwave chip firmware does not perform a nightly heal anymore, so it seems odd that it would always occur overnight.

duckway and cyanet, does this “flashing” (whether or not they disconnect from the system) seem to appear over night for you as well? Perhaps we can run down what process is driving this phenomenon.

othgeek

The problem appears to be related to the new Z-Wave firmware v3.67, included in UI 7.09 upward. Apparently this occurs with devices other than the CA600 dimmers. The reference below clarifies that the heal process continues nightly, the end user is just unable to run a manual heal. During that heal, I am hypothesizing that the CA600s drop out (see [url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,33252.0.html]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,33252.0.html[/url]).

I have put two AeonTec repeaters in my system to see if this will help the dropout. Will report back.

-othgeek

Has the repeaters help? I have this issue as well and noticed it when my vera3 was replaced with the vera edge. But it didn’t have happen right way it happened after a firmware upgrade a few weeks later.

Anyways I feel this is a major issue and Vera should be looking into this for the next upgrade. Confuses new users for sure and might give the new vera edge a bad rep.

In the last 2 months my UI7 network has sent my multiple Intermatic devices blinking but communicating… Until today. Note I have at least 8 dropped out and not communicating!!! What has UI7 done? Marc S… This is super uncool. I loved Micasaverde UI5 and wonder if I can tolerate much more agony spending hours screwing around with this. It is easier to have a dumb home. I am beyond frustrated.

In the past when I was running Incontrol PC software / Zstick wit the the CA600s they would behave as you describe after a heal.

Vera UI7 must be performing some sort of “heal” because I had issues like this in UI5 when I manually healed my network. Trouble is you can’t disable heal now!!!

Here is my current analysis of the problem:

1. This started when I stupidly thought it is time to upgrade to a VeraEdge from my trusty VeraLite (everything was always peachy with the VeraLite)
  2. I wound up moving to UI7 with the Edge, just because it came that way so I could not differentiate between the new Zwave chip system in this device or UI7.
  3. I never could get the Intermatic devices to stay on line (CA600 and CA5100) with the Edge running UI7
  4. You cannot turn of the destructive nightly “heal” (I use that loosely, more like nightly destruction).

I fixed it with this analysis:

1. I went back to my VeraLite, ran fine with UI5, no dimmer dropouts. I upgraded the VeraLite to UI7 and had no problems. All of my 25 dimmers remained on line. However, because UI7 uses so much more memory, I was running my trusty VeraLite overcapacity (107% according to the linux “top” command). It was very slow.
  2. I purchased a Vera 3, upgraded it to UI7 and all is well–at least for 4 days…
  3. I am anxious about running on outdated hardware, but have no choice.

-othgeek-

… Bump.

Does anyone know of a fix? Agree w/ the other posters, this is very frustrating. Although I am on the latest firmware w/ my Vera Edge, my devices keep kicking on a flashing light (although they for the most part continue to work). Like the other posters, I never experienced this issue w/ my Vera Lite. Any help would be appreciated (Devs?)? Thanks

[quote=“duckway”]… Bump.

Does anyone know of a fix? Agree w/ the other posters, this is very frustrating. Although I am on the latest firmware w/ my Vera Edge, my devices keep kicking on a flashing light (although they for the most part continue to work). Like the other posters, I never experienced this issue w/ my Vera Lite. Any help would be appreciated (Devs?)? Thanks[/quote]

This isn’t what you want to hear but I have given up.

My fix is replacing then with Leviton… One at a time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don’t have a Vera Edge yet (waiting for Plus). I’m still on Vera Lite. I have (or had) about 30 of these CA600 dimmers, and I can tell you with great confidence that any z-wave product made by Intermatic is an absolute piece of junk. I have about 60 difference z-wave devices, and Intermatic is the only brand that I consistently have issues with. They’re fine for a few months, but then slowly one by one they start falling off the network, which re-adding will fix, but eventually within a year or two they stop working entirely and you have to throw them way. I have also started replacing them one by one (at a significant cost obviously). I’ve started buying Enerwave products. Does anyone have long term experience with those?

I have 3 CA600’s. Two have never had a problem (over a year and a half). The third one I recently added about a month ago. It frequently unpairs and at this point I haven’t bothered adding it back into the mesh. It’s strange because it sits between two other zwave devices that don’t have connection issues.

I’ve been staying away from the CA600’s lately because they aren’t compatible with LEDs.

I personally don’t. I have Leviton devices going back to 2012 and they seem rock solid. Everspring devices seem reliable too.

Virtus, you should stay away from them, because they suck, but they do work with LEDs as long as the total load on the circuit is over 45 watts, so for example if you have 4 lights on a single switch, you can add a 20 watt incandescent bulb to ur LED mix to get the total to over 45 watts, and it will work fine.

So I have an entire house of CA600s that worked for years with my 2Gig Alarm Panel. I went to the vera edge to have a little more ‘control’ over my system and now my entire house looks like christmas at night. :slight_smile: Any idea if there is going to be a fix for this?

Yeah, I figured that out - but it kind of negates the whole reason of having LEDs when I have to double the fixture’s wattage with an old incandescent bulb just to get the switch to work. I agree that people should stay away from them - they are past their prime.

Just trying to kickstart some life back into this issue. For me, it’s the CA3500 outlets that used to work perfect for years with my Vera Lite. Now with my Vera Edge it’s a different story as they drop out and blink most of the time. After a power fail, they completely unpair and never come back unless you delete and repair each one.

Any solutions from the community? Pretty much given up on official support :frowning:

Jerry